• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Marvel 1st issues project

330 posts in this topic

Definitely a shot load of sick 1st issues in this clink auction!

Am I the only one though that thinks it isn't smart to put them all in the same auction instead of spreading them out over a few months? I just went thru them and there are 32 that I would LIKE to bid on but there's no way I can bid on all of those books in the same auction. If they were spread out over like 3-4 months i could bid on almost all of them but for this auction I'm goin to just have to pick the 10 or so I really want to go after.

Right there with you Jason...maybe from the seller's perspective it's easier on him (1 major consignment, 1 time shipping and 1 paycheck), but from an interested buyer's view...it's a nightmare.

Yeah, just doesn't seem smart IMO. I already have a TON of 1st issues and still want to bid on 32. If I hadn't been on a buying frenzy the last few months, I'd want to bid on at least 50 but there's no way I could bid on anywhere near that many in one auction.

Even just having a single person not bid can make a HUGE difference. Just having one more person bid can be the difference between a book going for $250 instead of $50. Oh well, I'm sure he has his reasons but it's definitely going to keep me from being able to bid on about 20 books I'd like to bid on if there weren't so many in this one auction.

A couple of years ago Boardie DarknessWeaves who had the number 4 or 5 Registry set put his entire set up for auction. Some of the odder titles got almost no bids.

I would have spread it over a couple of auctions myself, and I would definitely have done it for Arrand's set. Some of those books you will not see again in that grade for a looooooooong time. Especially if greggy wants that Wyatt Earp.

It depends...fact is, the press of having such a major registry set come all at once will bring collectors out of the woodwork for this one--and I bet the bidding wars on the top 30% of them will more than make up for losses on the others.

Look at the full Gold Key Magnus Robot Fighter # 1 registry set did a few months ago on C-link. Compare the prices realized (still on C-link's site) to GPA. Those books absolutely _destroyed_ GPA values across the board. Several of the books in the same grade sold individually within the next month for as much as (literally) 85% less.

Bringing all of these books to market at once basically guarantees that all of the Bronze heavy hitters will show up.

Maybe but based on the bidding of alot of the 1st issues Ive won so far, there doesn't seem to be a lot of heavy bitters going after these. But like you said, maybe the whole "#1 registry set" hype will bring them out of the woodwork (shrug)

Ah, I see it now. I knew I couldn't have won anything really. It's just for my Chili set because I'm basically the only one who registered one. Why didn't you register yours Peter ?

Ah, I see it now. I knew I couldn't have won anything really. It's just for my Chili set because I'm basically the only one who registered one. Why didn't you register yours Peter ?

:applause: See that you won an award because I bothered you about collecting these odd ball books. I take half the credit! lol

:applause: See that you won an award because I bothered you about collecting these odd ball books. I take half the credit! lol

lol

lol

Ive spent a billion dollars on comic books and all I have to show for it is a registry award for a title that 99% of the Marvel zombies don't know even exists!!! doh!

Ive spent a billion dollars on comic books and all I have to show for it is a registry award for a title that 99% of the Marvel zombies don't know even exists!!! doh!

Oh I don't know about that...there's just too few copies lying around... we're part of a very privileged club :)

Heck, one of the biggest Marvel collectors (colmoreman aka Mark Arrand) owns 1 of the 9.6s

You needed to break the ice with 1 set... might as well start with something small and move to bigger and better things. (thumbs u

Yeah, you've spent a billion bucks on books, but recognition takes time ... and at least two billion spent :cry:

Not really Bronze, but very late Silver and part of my Marvel Silver Age First Issues registry set (unfortunately)

Highest certified, 1 of now 2 copies. The other is listed on ComicLink.

Sucks being a compulsive upgrader... was content with my 9.4 until those 9.6s came along :(

BTW, my 9.4 is now officially "up for sale" :whistle:

113971.jpg.5ca1618215439a01a0b3a180ebaadd16.jpg

lol

Unfortunately, i will NEVER be able to get the Registry award for my true passion, the Avengers :cry:

Unless Captain Tripps, cheetah and ghost town decide to sell off their runs(which at least in cheetahs case, i HIGHLY doubt) i dont have a snowballs chance in hell of EVER catching any of them in the Avengers set. 4th place is unfortunately the best i could ever hope for.

Oh well, as a wise man once said "the world needs ditch diggers too!" :hi:

4th behind some of the heaviest hitters in the game !! that would be an honor.

True but im a LONG way from even getting that!

Those guys runs are AMAZING! I have like 125 Avengers slabs and ive had 4-5 people i talk to via PM joke with me how crazy it is that just my Avengers run is worth more than their entire Registry. Those top guys in the Avengers sets though, just their Avengers #1 are more points than all 120+ issues i have combined!!! :ohnoez:

Time is long, though, and there will be a lot of chances to get top quality books. Prices on all but a couple of Avengers books are dropping and they'll be out there waiting for you to pick them up!