• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

I don't think the price tag on Action 1 has moved. (I'm a little worried it's going to start to stagnate in those mid grades now that it is already out of reach for 99.9% of collectors in that half million dollar range for a nice copy. I wouldn't even be surprised if prices came down a little in certain grades over time)

To me, the question is, with Action 1s being unaffordable to almost everyone, how much higher does that drag prices on AC 7/10/13.

Or you can turn it upside down: when they drag a copy of action 1 out of a friggin wall, virtually torn in half and looking like it survived the apocalypse, and it still sells for a gazillion $$$$. - then I wonder if that book (A1) can go any higher at all? Why? cause nobody can afford it anymore ... at least not among the people who like funny books.

There are still far more folks that can afford an action 1 in most grades than there are action 1s coming to market. That said, at some point pricing trends do stagnate (as filter said) and occasionally prices will stagnate or dip, but should still migrate northward

Same place it should be. The 13 went for FMv so that won't "bump" action 1 prices. If anything it is action 1 prices that make action 13 prices realistic (thumbs u

I think there is a synergy between books on price changes.

Sometimes the later books draw up the price of the key, other times the key draws up the prices of the later books.

Hard to know which is happening at any given time but I do personally believe that's how it works.

I'm finally in! :banana:

Kudos to GAtor for the hook up on the exact "early Action" I wanted to pick up. Superman says to Lois: "Please don't mind that lesion on my inner thigh. It's not contagious. I promise." lol

-J.

Action23Front_zps806f6cae.jpg

great book to have, first Lex and first Daily Planet.

maybe that blue spot is a fragment of blue kryptonite that is just passing by. :insane:

Kudos to GAtor for the hook up on the exact "early Action" I wanted to pick up. Superman says to Lois: "Please don't mind that lesion on my inner thigh. It's not contagious. I promise." lol

-J.

Action #23 is really one of the more underrated GA DC books from 1940.

Although Superman #4 beat it to the newsstands (technically making it the 1st newsstand app. of Lex Luthor), the story from Action #23 came first. It's also one of the last Shuster Action covers.

-J.

Hot . Action #23 is the #2 book on my want-list. Your copy is gorgeous. I'm a huge Lex Luthor fan, and I used to own a coverless copy, so I'm itching to get back into one.

Might be splitting hairs, but I think the 1st "Lex" Luthor distinction is actually a misnomer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he was ever called "Lex" until many many years later in Adventure #271.

Edited by Cosmic Boy

-J.

Although Superman #4 beat it to some newsstands in (technically making it the 1st newsstand app. of Lex Luthor), the story from Action #23 came first. It's also one of the last Shuster Action covers.

Thanks guys I'm really happy with this. I had to stretch the budget a little for it, but what the heck it's Christmas. :)

Yes Wayne-Tec you're correct some newsstands did get the Supe 4 slightly before the Action 23, but the 23 is definitely Lex's 1st appearance in cannon, as you also noted.

Cosmic Boy you're also right, I believe he went by "Alexander Joseph Luthor" for the first 20 years or so before the nickname "Lex" actually came about. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

But yes I am definitely stoked to have this 1st appearance of DC's #2 super villain, and a great classic cover to boot. :cloud9:

-J.

-J.

Although Superman #4 beat it to some newsstands in (technically making it the 1st newsstand app. of Lex Luthor), the story from Action #23 came first. It's also one of the last Shuster Action covers.

Thanks guys I'm really happy with this. I had to stretch the budget a little for it, but what the heck it's Christmas. :)

Yes Wayne-Tec you're correct some newsstands did get the Supe 4 slightly before the Action 23, but the 23 is definitely Lex's 1st appearance in cannon, as you also noted.

Cosmic Boy you're also right, I believe he went by "Alexander Joseph Luthor" for the first 20 years or so before the nickname "Lex" actually came about. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

But yes I am definitely stoked to have this 1st appearance of DC's #2 super villain, and a great classic cover to boot. :cloud9:

-J.

I think he was just referred to as Luthor for more than a decade after his first appearance. No first name.

-J.

-J.

I think he was just referred to as Luthor for more than a decade after his first appearance. No first name.

Double checked and you're right! (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

Double checked and you're right! (thumbs u

-J.

I have some newspaper proofs that once belonged to one of Shuster's assistant artists (forget the name) and there is a sequence with a bald Luthor in 1940 which, I think, predates Action 23. Wondering if it's one of those things they did first in the newspaper strip and then in the comic.

Speaking of The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24), someone can join an even more exclusive club by winning the OA to the cover to Action #15 in the February Heritage Auction.

The auction will be in NYC so I'm excited to see the cover in person. That's the only related club I'll be joining, the "I saw the OA to the cover of Action #15 Club."