• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

I'm finally in! :banana:

Kudos to GAtor for the hook up on the exact "early Action" I wanted to pick up. Superman says to Lois: "Please don't mind that lesion on my inner thigh. It's not contagious. I promise." lol

-J.

Action23Front_zps806f6cae.jpg

Action #23 is really one of the more underrated GA DC books from 1940.

Although Superman #4 beat it to some newsstands in (technically making it the 1st newsstand app. of Lex Luthor), the story from Action #23 came first. It's also one of the last Shuster Action covers.

Thanks guys I'm really happy with this. I had to stretch the budget a little for it, but what the heck it's Christmas. :)

Yes Wayne-Tec you're correct some newsstands did get the Supe 4 slightly before the Action 23, but the 23 is definitely Lex's 1st appearance in cannon, as you also noted.

Cosmic Boy you're also right, I believe he went by "Alexander Joseph Luthor" for the first 20 years or so before the nickname "Lex" actually came about. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

But yes I am definitely stoked to have this 1st appearance of DC's #2 super villain, and a great classic cover to boot. :cloud9:

-J.

I think he was just referred to as Luthor for more than a decade after his first appearance. No first name.

Double checked and you're right! (thumbs u

-J.

I have some newspaper proofs that once belonged to one of Shuster's assistant artists (forget the name) and there is a sequence with a bald Luthor in 1940 which, I think, predates Action 23. Wondering if it's one of those things they did first in the newspaper strip and then in the comic.

That's a cool thing to have! But my understanding is that Lex had hair in his first appearances until an artist's "mistake" led to him being draw bald thereafter.

-J.

So would this piece be considered THE holy grail in the OA world?
I'm not a big action 15 fan, but this being OA cover makes it very appealing. If there really are no earlier OA pieces of Supe in existence, then this would conceivably be THE holy grail of existing supe OA.

It is, without a doubt, THE holy grail of Action 15 original cover art collectors.

:makepoint::tonofbricks:doh!:screwy::insane::facepalm:

Speaking of The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24), someone can join an even more exclusive club by winning the OA to the cover to Action #15 in the February Heritage Auction.

The auction will be in NYC so I'm excited to see the cover in person. That's the only related club I'll be joining, the "I saw the OA to the cover of Action #15 Club."

Yowzers...

a15_zps9198fc49.jpg

wow, not many OA GA covers exist! Wonder if this cracks 6 figs? I say yes.

You really have to wonder? It will push a half mil easy. :makepoint:

I'm not a big action 15 fan, but this being OA cover makes it very appealing. If there really are no earlier OA pieces of Supe in existence, then this would conceivably be THE holy grail of existing supe OA.

It is, without a doubt, THE holy grail of Action 15 original cover art collectors.

lol

lol

that's why these boards are a wealth of info

The cover for Superman 14 exists. That would trump this IMO.

hey, look in the lower right corner area. There was a large shark in the original drawing that they replaced with little fishes!

Good eye! :applause: I guess Guardineer (or a meddling editor?) felt the shark upstaged Superman too much.

hey, look in the lower right corner area. There was a large shark in the original drawing that they replaced with little fishes!

Good eye! :applause: I guess Guardineer (or a meddling editor?) felt the shark upstaged Superman too much.

That is definitely very cool to see that edit. Artistically I think that was a great choice because the danger of the shark would have drawn away from him saving the submarine. The fishes help color the fact that Superman is under water and keeps the focus on the simplicity of him saving the crew and being able to hold his breath/resist the water pressure and not needing to be in a sub to survive at that depth.

Speaking of The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24), someone can join an even more exclusive club by winning the OA to the cover to Action #15 in the February Heritage Auction.

Yowzers...

a15_zps9198fc49.jpg11451712113_8a87e285dc_o.jpg

I cleaned it up for you. :banana:

Edited by BB-Gun

Does this happen often with "cover only" for early Actions? Or in this one's case, "front cover only"? Wow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310820794236?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

-J.

I don't know about often, but I've noticed some aggressive bidding on early DCs this month on eBay, maybe people got Christmas bonuses.

Does this happen often with "cover only" for early Actions? Or in this one's case, "front cover only"? Wow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310820794236?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

-J.

I was in for $200, but it quickly went above what I though it was worth. Once upon a time, I had a nice coverless copy. Not anymore. I'll bet the new owner has a coverless copy waiting in the wings. Too much of a gamble without one @ $350.

But I might have been in, even @ that price if I still had my coverless.

-J.

I was in for $200, but it quickly went above what I though it was worth. Once upon a time, I had a nice coverless copy. Not anymore. I'll bet the new owner has a coverless copy waiting in the wings. Too much of a gamble without one @ $350.

But I might have been in, even @ that price if I still had my coverless.

That's a good point it didn't occur to me that someone might be looking to marry it to a coverless copy.... even without the back cover. I was a little thrown why someone would be looking to spend that kind of cheddar for what the seller basically marketed as wall art.

-J.