• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Hot damn. I'm assuming that was at least a front AND back cover though. At least in that instance it would make sense that somebody was wanting to marry it to their cover less copy.

-J.

Nope, just the front cover

That's just nuts lol. Wall art for someone I presume. That's a helluva sig line by the way Illustrious.

-J.

CC sold a FC only Bat 1 CGC for $3k+ this month.

Yup, I was watching that one, it went for $3,106. I also watched an All American #16 front cover only with a big chunk missing go for $2,766.

Per link below, 3/5 of the front cover of Action #1 went for $6,800 in 2009.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=300107

Yup, I was watching that one, it went for $3,106. I also watched an All American #16 front cover only with a big chunk missing go for $2,766.

Any theories on why someone would be willing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars even on literally mere pieces of covers? Regardless of the rarity of the actual comic they came from I'm having a hard time seeing it.

-J.

Any theories on why someone would be willing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars even on literally mere pieces of covers? Regardless of the rarity of the actual comic they came from I'm having a hard time seeing it.

-J.

most big books are out of price range for a lot of folks and having a framed original cover is not a bad option these days. Any piece of an action 1 is desirable. I'm sure a slabbed staple off an action 1 will come to market some day.

Any piece of an action 1 is desirable.

I agree Primetime (thumbs u That's what prompted me to spend several hundred dollars on this

action125thpg_zps06355d82.jpg

action125thpgb_zpsa843598a.jpg

I'm SURE that many people wouldn't understand that purchase, but that's ok. I like it fine just the way it is, however it'd probably be one the easiest things to leafcast. Being a black and white page should make the ink work a lot easier than if it were a color page. I'm very happy to own a piece of history :headbang:

-J.

most big books are out of price range for a lot of folks and having a framed original cover is not a bad option these days. Any piece of an action 1 is desirable. I'm sure a slabbed staple off an action 1 will come to market some day.

Hmm .... slabbed staple?

Insane, -

Any piece of an action 1 is desirable.

I agree Primetime (thumbs u That's what prompted me to spend several hundred dollars on this

action125thpg_zps06355d82.jpg

action125thpgb_zpsa843598a.jpg

I'm SURE that many people wouldn't understand that purchase, but that's ok. I like it fine just the way it is, however it'd probably be one the easiest things to leafcast. Being a black and white page should make the ink work a lot easier than if it were a color page. I'm very happy to own a piece of history :headbang:

Absolutely to each his own. I'm always intrigued as to what each collector chooses to collect, what different niches are out there and how every collection develops its own identity. And it's certainly not bad for the hobby when even the last remnants of an important book is still highly sought after and worth big bucks, and that folks still see that much value in owning a piece of history as Frisco aptly stated.

-J.

Does this happen often with "cover only" for early Actions? Or in this one's case, "front cover only"? Wow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310820794236?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

-J.

I remember someone offering a large amount of these GA Action covers, on ebay, a few years or so ago.. There was a #23 as well. Probably this same one.

I've owned slabbed parts from a number of "big time" books over the years and I enjoyed them tremendously. To some collectors, the historical significance and importance of some of the greatest books in our hobby is more desirable than respectable, complete copies of books that don't carry even a fraction of the significance.

There is no right or wrong answer but as a collector you must ask yourself: What are you collecting?

Are you a collector who's preferences are geared towards the historical significance, importance and rarity of certain issues or are you a collector who's preferences are geared towards an appreciation for condition, grade and state of preservation? Of course, it's not that black and white but in general -- one's preferences can motivate purchases in either direction.

To me, a slabbed Joker page from an original copy of Batman #1 is far more historically significant and important than a complete copy of Batman (insert # here). I can appreciate the art work of later issues and I can appreciate a book's state of preservation but (to me at least), it's hard to compete with the history, the content and the desirability found in even parts of the character's 1st appearance.

I've also owned non-Superman pages of Action Comics #1 -- which is another preference that some collectors may not share. Some may think: "Who cares about Pep Morgan?", but it's really more than a matter of Pep Morgan vs. another, more popular character. To those who know the history, they understand how important Action Comics #1 was to the medium. Pep Morgan was not the driving force by any means, but owning a non-Superman page of Action #1 is like owning a frame that once held the Mona Lisa -- we know it's not the centerpiece but man, it's still in breathing distance and still quite cool.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

I've owned slabbed parts from a number of "big time" books over the years and I enjoyed them tremendously. To some collectors, the historical significance and importance of some of the greatest books in our hobby is more desirable than respectable, complete copies of books that don't carry even a fraction of the significance.

There is no right or wrong answer but as a collector you must ask yourself: What are you collecting?

Are you a collector who's preferences are geared towards the historical significance, importance and rarity of certain issues or are you a collector who's preferences are geared towards an appreciation for condition, grade and state of preservation? Of course, it's not that black and white but in general -- one's preferences can motivate purchases in either direction.

To me, a slabbed Joker page from an original copy of Batman #1 is far more historically significant and important than a complete copy of Batman (insert # here). I can appreciate the art work of later issues and I can appreciate a book's state of preservation but (to me at least), it's hard to compete with the history, the content and the desirability found in even parts of the character's 1st appearance.

I've also owned non-Superman pages of Action Comics #1 -- which is another preference that some collectors may not share. Some may think: "Who cares about Pep Morgan?", but it's really more than a matter of Pep Morgan vs. another, more popular character. To those who know the history, they understand how important Action Comics #1 was to the medium. Pep Morgan was not the driving force by any means, but owning a non-Superman page of Action #1 is like owning a frame that once held the Mona Lisa -- we know it's not the centerpiece but man, it's still in breathing distance and still quite cool.

Beautifully stated! :applause:

Beautifully stated! :applause:

:acclaim:

That is a great looking copy for having that pq!

I really do prefer the 1st page of Action Comics #10 to its actual cover. The upper panel is basically showing Superman #1. The colors look nice and there's nothing missing from the art of the first page. If you decide to have it slabbed after washing and casting, I'd definitely not add a reprint cover. That panel is depicting one of the most iconic Superman images ever.

Very cool coverless book to have (thumbs u

Thank you, it is a good example of a coverless comic having a strong enough splash page to think twice about covering with a repro cover. The only brittle part it seems is the first wrap, hence why it has completely split.

Edited by Illustrious