• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does anyone really care about Werewolf by night #32 ?

247 posts in this topic

And WWBN 32 isn't a particularly expensive book vs. it's pseudo-contemporary Hulk 181 (or ASM 129). It's expensive in 9.8 (and maybe 9.6) because for whatever reason the book isn't easy to find in those grades.

Actually, I think I'd argue that Ghost Rider is a more apt character to compare to MK. Both are what I would call "B characters", both introduced in the mid-70s, and both characters have been popular enough to maintain multiple solo title volumes (although GR's ran longer) and mini-series, etc. There's also been substantial "evolution" of the two characters and their origins.

Comparing WWBN #32 to Marvel Spotlight #5 makes the 1st MK look like a real bargain (similar to your point using Hulk #181 and ASM #129)...

EDIT: I guess a lot of that holds true for Punisher and Wolverine except for the fact that they both managed to make it to the big leagues...

What exactly is "rough" or "weak" about this post? The fact remains Moon Knight isn't a character that will ever threaten wolverine or spider-man in popularity. This may be an extreme example but I think you get my point.

And WWBN 32 isn't a particularly expensive book vs. it's pseudo-contemporary Hulk 181 (or ASM 129). It's expensive in 9.8 (and maybe 9.6) because for whatever reason the book isn't easy to find in those grades.

I guess Moonie has had about as much success as Spiderwoman in the last 35 years (well...maybe not, because Spiderwoman didn't have a late 80's - 90's series, did she?) and yes, his # 32 is a lot more expensive than her's, but it was almost 2 years earlier and Spotlight 32 is on the other side of the hoarder/speculator/direct market historical fence and my guess is that there are more of them out there than WWBN 32. It is in about the same ballpark as the 1st app of Iron Fist OPG-wise though, which sounds about right.

Decent points, but Spider-Woman is a female heroine character & historically female characters haven't been featured nearly as much as their male counterparts(until recently anyway).

Iron Fist's solo series from the 70's ties into the 1st sabretooth & an early app. of the new x-men. Iron Fist also was included in a relatively long running series called Power Man & Iron Fist(formerly Luke cage, Hero for Hire). Iron Fist was ground breaking in that he dated an African American woman named Misty Knight, not a common practice at that time especially in comics.Iron Fist was also "killed" which at the time wasn't as common as it is today.

Originally Posted By: mumfio

Whisp-"Oh I have read your posts and I did that on purpose to get you to state thus again that you like Moon Knight thus proving my point you are another person that likes the character even if you don't think he is an A or B level character. There is many people out there that think the same way and like the character even if he is not top rated and because of this demand on the book is higher.

We are also in times since around 2005 where collectors wanted more grittier and dark reading and movies thus he is fitting right in."

Mumfio-Comics have been gritty since the mid to late 80's. Ever heard of The Dark Knight or The Watchmen? You could also point out to the 70's with the Amazing Spider-man where Gwen Stacy had her neck snapped or the next issue where the Green Goblin was impaled by his glider and "killed".You are a lost cause on this. You are for some reason being personally offended by my post. All I have stated is that the high guide price doesn't coincide with the character's impact(or lack of impact) on the comic landscape. There really should be no argument on this.

Whisp-

Im the lost cause?

And I am not offended but just showing the reasoning behind why it is which was your question in the first place, but no matter the reasoning we give you you keep going on and on that it is not worth the price. Well guess what, I don't need to argue it since the market dictates the price and not me thus it proves you wrong.

On top of that you are misinformed as to how the series have really been doing. Marvel would not waste so much resources after 5 years in which we are going into a 6th year if the character was not popular enough to deem so thus again your arguments are mute.

Who are you a shill for since my troll senses are tingling!

Mumfio-

Here's a "troll" giving you just a small sample of links proving what you keep stating about how great the sales are for Moon Knight are dead wrong (as I expected). I could be like Charlie Sheen & say I'm winning, but that should already be painfully obvious.

Sales Figures

http://www.comicvine.com/moon-knight/29-1493/sales-figures/92-596991/

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=265994&page=2

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=234930

lol lol lol

You just proved me right with everything I have stated just by that first link alone. Look at that chart and you will see it had very good sales at the begining which I stated up to about issue 10 and then died out and peeked up a bit at 21 which I also called out and stated in this thread. I can say for fact the reason 21 peeked is because it had the first colour reprints for wwbn 32 and 33 in it. Suggestion: Maybe you should buy that #21 so that you can get your wwbn 32 since you must want one by the fact you made a thread complaining about it.

VotMK did the same thing with peeks at beginning and then dropping off. But what modern series doesn't. Hulk did and a bunch of other series like Ultimate spiderman did as well. Its nothing new.

Now you need to go look at the diamond sales numbers and you will see that #1 for the 2006 series was in the top 5 actually and up to #10 in the top 10 which is good.

You can look at majority of all other series and see the same thing happening.

You have done nothing but proved my statements earlier about the sales let alone show people like the character enough for WWBN 32 to go up in value. Thanks!

Nice try though.

GG

Who cares why it went up. The fact is that it did. Capitalize on it or don't; that's your choice. But don't complain that you don't understand why or that it's undeserved. That's pointless.

Pointless to you. Your opinion. Just like I have an opinion. People who invest thousands on 1 comic should do so with sound reasoning. You said it yourself, if I had sold 2 years ago I would have made 300% return. That means it's not such a good investment now, using your own words. Your statement seems to be about short term investment whereas mine has been long term throughout all my posts.

:screwy:

Some people are not investing. They are buying the book because they enjoy the hobby. Not everything is about making money in comics. Almost majority of my collection is $1 books. My most expensive book is wwbn 32 which I payed $140 for a cgc 9.0 and very happy with. If It was an investment I could have sold at $340 about a year back. Who knows maybe the tv show will come out and be good and my 9.0 will be $600 but it really doesn't matter because I bought the book to collect not invest.

At the risk of beating this dead horse into oblivion, I'll leave with this; anyone who considers comics a true investment (in the sense of a reasonable place to put money with the expectation of growth) should have their head checked. Sure you can point to a few anecdotal events where someone make big money on book, but the odds are vastly, vastly stacked against you; akin to winning the lottery. There are 10's of thousands of better places to put the same money for a guaranteed better return.

The vast majority of us that do put any sizeable amount of money in comics do it far more for the love of the medium or the character than any legitimate investment purposes.

Lamenting over a comics misunderstood or irrational popularity is a ridiculous waste of time. You might as well try to predict the next fad in american society.

People don't spend any serious money for the love of the medium, they do it for return on investment. CGC wouldn't exist if people were in it for the love of the medium.

Recent history shows more & more investors are diversifying into comics from other markets. When they hear about Detective Comics #27 selling for over a $1,000,000.00 they get interested.

examples - http://www.observertoday.com/page/content.detail/id/539467/Investing-in-comic-books.html?nav=5060

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/MutualFunds/5-investments-more-precious-than-gold.aspx

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/comic_books_top_stocks_as_investment/

WRONG

There is multiple examples on these boards of members that collect even modern series where the book isn't worth higher then the cover price but they have a slabbed copy. If they tried to resell that book they be lucky to recover their grading costs. There is also many examples of sales on these boards where you can find slabbed books less then the actual grading fees.

Even I have some of those books that are not worth higher then the grading fee but I wanted them slabbed and payed the premium for it.

Not everything is about money in collectibles. Yes you will have the flippers and resellers but that is in anything that is sellable.

The absurdity of this entire thread is hilarious.

Just sayin'... :shrug:

Don't you have birthday threads to make?

:P

:jokealert:

They're more productive than THIS thread :baiting:

OMG ferchrissakes people!!! It's Moon Knight! MOON KNIGHT!!!!! Just let it go!!!

doh!

Exactly it is Moon Knight. The greatest character ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Extra statement marks because I think it deserves it!

No argument here :)

I have no love for Moon Night, but think the Argyll and Sutherland of Canada Cap Badge is pretty cool. I use to be a member of the Essex and Kent Scottish.

I have no love for Moon Night, but think the Argyll and Sutherland of Canada Cap Badge is pretty cool. I use to be a member of the Essex and Kent Scottish.

Yep pic of my old regiment cap badge. :) Not the original I had but my replacement one I got just a bit ago. Once an Arygle always an Argyle.

(thumbs u