• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Vintage D&D Character Sheets Here - And I know you have them!
1 1

269 posts in this topic

Didn't have enough time to really read this whole thread, but saw enough to know who the real dorks are! :kidaround:

What's funny is while I have always been immersed in Fantasy stuff ever since I can remember, I never played D&D once.

Maybe they didn't invite me. :blush:

Question though, it sounds like you had to have a really decent Dungeon Master to have a good experience. How exactly did you dorks pick out who was the best storyteller, weaver of tales, knower of all rules and spells?

A role of the dice, whoever had the most stuff, or was he elected?

In my case it was always me simply because its the role I wanted to play and the others wanted to be the players. I loved being the DM or Storyteller or whatever iteration it was for that game. I loved spending my time creating a backstory, NPCs (Non player characters) for the group to interact with, peppering my world with little nuances. What it really boils down to is a creative process that was satisfying to me.

Not to mention I actually love reading the games rules and accessories like Scottie reads technical manuals. I spent hours reading and rereading the rules I could quote just about every little thing.

Its really a collaborative effort though...your players have to be involved but there are tricks to getting them involved if they are reluctant or shy.

Im a gaming dork.

Exactly the same for me. I wanted the role, volunteered for it, and was successful.

I devised a great campaign, have had multiple players play through it, and all enjoyed it. The greatest challenge D&D faced was technology replaced face to face gaming: getting the players together became such a struggle.

Loving this thread, and oh yes I will contribute to it.

I fell into the role as a DM. I started developing a campaign world of my own in about 1982 and have been at it off and on since. My other friends ran (and still run) other games like Traveller, Gamma World, etc. I have always felt to paraphrase Spock from Star Trek II that being a DM for AD&D ". . .was my first, best destiny. . .anything else is a waste of material."

Yes the geek meter just went off the charts!

A bit grainy due to taking with a Blackberry. Here are some modules I dug up.

modules1.jpg[/img]

Castle Amber wasn't too bad. (Later modules were such a crapshoot.) I had to juice "Pharoah" up a bit if memory serves.

Ghost Tower of Inverness was one of my favorites. Here's the back cover which is better than the front. (Wear on spine, blunted edges... I wonder if CGC grades these? lol )

ghostcastleback.jpg[/img]

If they did it should get the WL rating for Well Loved!!!

I started with AD&D and I love this thread. Best villain, hands down, has got to be Vecna (see what I did there). A Lich who's just a disembodied eye and hand floating around killing you and all of your friends. But the best module for me was this:

scan0001.jpg

I would love to have that hanging on my wall for all time.

Not strictly related, but I found this piece on a table at GenCon '92. Love it, great work, now if only I could figure out who did it!

Raistlin.jpg

Loved D&D growing up. Played it on indoor recess in grade school. Hell, played it with a group of buddies after college on occasion.

I once found one of the original white boxed sets of rules at a garage sale a few years back. Bought it for $1. I think I ended up selling it on ebay for over $100 a few days later.

Kinda wish I still had that set. It was pretty cool.

I started with AD&D and I love this thread. Best villain, hands down, has got to be Vecna (see what I did there). A Lich who's just a disembodied eye and hand floating around killing you and all of your friends. But the best module for me was this:

scan0001.jpg

I would love to have that hanging on my wall for all time.

Not strictly related, but I found this piece on a table at GenCon '92. Love it, great work, now if only I could figure out who did it!

Raistlin.jpg

VECNA, RAISTLIN, and the TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL. MY 3 favorite D&D memories! (thumbs u

Didn't have enough time to really read this whole thread, but saw enough to know who the real dorks are! :kidaround:

What's funny is while I have always been immersed in Fantasy stuff ever since I can remember, I never played D&D once.

Maybe they didn't invite me. :blush:

Question though, it sounds like you had to have a really decent Dungeon Master to have a good experience. How exactly did you dorks pick out who was the best storyteller, weaver of tales, knower of all rules and spells?

A role of the dice, whoever had the most stuff, or was he elected?

The important thing is to play with folks who enjoy the same aspects of the game as you do, and having a good impartial and creative DM is key.

I went so far as to play the game via an online utility that provided you with a virtual desktop surface. You could upload images, draw on the desktop, place miniatures. The system even had a dice roller system at the top.

I can't recall what it was called...

Was fun but I still had the same challenges: getting people to show up to the game. The first session 2 of my 7 players were late and didnt arrive until 30 minutes later. Then the next session only 1 of 7 arrived on time, the rest all arrived 30 minutes late the reasoning was that since those 2 players didn't arrive until 30 minutes later we all can arrive late.

3rd session everyone was late, and I determined it to be the last. I as the DM / Gamemaster took alot of my personal time to prepare the evening's adventures and none of my players can arrive on time i just decided to not bother.

Is to bad, D&D was a great game. But it is a thing of the past.