• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Comic Con 2011

400 posts in this topic

I see that CGC will be doing on-site grading. If I'm there for only one day is it feasable to get my books back same day? If not, what is usually turnaround time at a convention?

Unless things have changed, I don't believe same-day turnaround is possible. If you can drop them off first thing on Thursday, you might see them by late Friday. I'd say Thurs-Fri dropoffs will get them back on Sat-Sun. Saturday dropoffs will depend on what time of day & how many books they've already received. Sunday dropoffs should expect to be mailed back.

I concur - getting a same-day turnaround just isn't going to happen.

I submitted first thing Friday and Saturday mornings in Philly and had the books at the end of the day.

Chicago is a much larger show than Philly :shrug:

That might be an issue.

I see that CGC will be doing on-site grading. If I'm there for only one day is it feasable to get my books back same day? If not, what is usually turnaround time at a convention?

Unless things have changed, I don't believe same-day turnaround is possible. If you can drop them off first thing on Thursday, you might see them by late Friday. I'd say Thurs-Fri dropoffs will get them back on Sat-Sun. Saturday dropoffs will depend on what time of day & how many books they've already received. Sunday dropoffs should expect to be mailed back.

I concur - getting a same-day turnaround just isn't going to happen.

I submitted first thing Friday and Saturday mornings in Philly and had the books at the end of the day.

Chicago is a much larger show than Philly :shrug:

That might be an issue.

It will come down to how many books get submitted, which can't be predicted. Although many dealers drop books off during set up, which can be an instant big load of incoming books.

I would think dropping it off on Friday morning would get it back by Saturday afternoon.

Jaded, I will be volunteering all four days. If you can trust a boardie that you have never met, I would be happy to drop them off Thursday evening. I am not sure about the logistics of paying the CGC people though.

Does anyone know if free wifi is offered on the dealer floor? (shrug)

I don't know if it is "offered," but there appeared to be a ton of wifi connections that my phone was able to use. I had internet and wireless about 80% of the time. I am on Verizon and have the world's worst blackberry.

Looks like Wizard is sponsoring a Friday night "Red Carpet" party with this little nugget of enticement:

Mix and mingle with Chicago Comic Con celebrities plus a first look at a unique million dollar collection of rare comics to be displayed publicly for the first time ever including ashcan editions of Action Comics (1938), Superman Comics (1939), Superwoman (1942), Superboy (1942) and Supergirl (1944).

I wonder if I've ever seen any of these displayed as an avatar before. hm

More info