• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Comic Con 2011

400 posts in this topic

Not sure why Wizard Chicago is charging up to $200 for a photo op with the Professor actor from "Back to the Future", and you next to the Delorean. At SDCC, you could have got a FREE pic of you sitting in the Delorean with Native Indians on horseback desert background. :gossip:

http://www.wizardworld.com/chicago.html

Great news! Wizard and I have made arrangements for my ashcans to be displayed on the main show floor of the convention for all to see at no extra charge!

So for the first time ever everyone will be able to see the rarest comics in the world:

Action Comics ashcan (3 known copies - one in the DC vault), Superman Comics ashcan (3 known copies), Superwoman ashcan (2 known copies - 1 in the DC vault), Superboy ashcan (1 known copy - this is it!) and Supergirl ashcan (1 known copy - this is the only one!).

I kinda feel like a proud papa! :acclaim:

Great news! Wizard and I have made arrangements for my ashcans to be displayed on the main show floor of the convention for all to see at no extra charge!

So for the first time ever everyone will be able to see the rarest comics in the world:

Action Comics ashcan (3 known copies - one in the DC vault), Superman Comics ashcan (3 known copies), Superwoman ashcan (2 known copies - 1 in the DC vault), Superboy ashcan (1 known copy - this is it!) and Supergirl ashcan (1 known copy - this is the only one!).

I can't wait to see these up close. :cloud9:

He's staying at the Hyatt as am I, you procrastinating hippie.

I will abscond with your reservation somehow.

You and what turkey sandwich?

Last year was my first at Chicago. Prior to that I'd gone to San Diego, but I couldn't attend last year due to a scheduling conflict. Here's my trip report from last year in Chicago. I keep these notes for myself so I can re-live the convention. Once again this year I had a conflict with San Diego, so I'm going to Chicago again. But I had such a great time last year -- bought a ton of comics -- I'm really looking forward to it.

THURSDAY

I flew in early from DC and checked into the Hyatt Regency O’Hara. I walked from there to the convention center via the Skybridge to check things out. It was a long walk. I wonder if the Embassy or Hilton would be better, as they are across the street. The staff told me that registration opens at 4

At 1125am I went to see Salt at Muvico. It was okay. It’s a long walk to get anywhere here, not like

GasLamp

Registration open early at 2. Took taxi to Al’s Beef for lunch. The taxi cost $10. Got beef sandwich and Chicago dog with everything

Walked back, took about 20 min. Now 330 and I'm waiting in ballroom off side of lobby

They have a VIP registration line but hardly anyone in that line

I'm sitting by fountain in normal registration line

I’m told VIPs get in first not early

The line is moving by 505pm and I’m in the convention hall by 509.

6pm started next to artist alley - browsed that. Then bought stuff at graham crackers -- 50% off silver

7pm still on 1st row – I bought a lot of dollar comics. I ran back to the hotel to drop off my purchases

750pm I brought back my suitcase with wheels – they allow them here, unlike San Diego. I also found the staircase down to the convention floor. Now I like the Hyatt a lot better

I bought a bunch of marvel and DC graphic novels

750pm finally finish browsing 1st row

1012pm I'm in the Hyatt bar. I start with a Manhattan, then order the ceasar salad, bacon avocado mushroom cheddar burger. I thought of ordering out at giordanos or going to gibson, but too late.

By the end of today, I made it halfway down 2nd aisle. One of my last purchases was a bunch of DC and Marvel treasuries ($5 each), and 50 cent comics. Also got a few $5 graphic novels. This con not have excitement of SD or fun of gaslamp, but a lot of comics. Here, it’s a Buyer’s market and I think the comics part is bigger than SD but maybe not as much rare comics, but I’m not looking for that. The shortcut staircase from the Hyatt down to the convention floor makes a big difference on value of Hyatt (I joined their club today, got free newspaper and late checkout sun), as well as being able to take roller suitcase - it means I can buy heavy stuff and not worry about it.

FRIDAY

1130am had lunch at Gibsons, half garbage salad and chicken pot pie for $25. Doubletree with Gibsons, and Embassy suites are most convenient I think.

1130am just got in line, much longer today

The facility of this convention not as nice as SD, like a warehouse

105 front of line moving

Finally in by 115pm

I hit a booth selling $1 comics, but a long box is $150, and the price drops to $100 per box if get 5 boxes. All alpha numeric. I love it, nice selection. I decided to go for 5 long boxes. For the first 3 boxes, I picked carefully against my wantlist. That took a couple of hours, and I wanted to get done. (I could have stopped at 3 boxes, but that would have been $450, so I might as well go for the five as that will be $500 – is this crazy pricing or what?!). But it’s great. I fill the 4th and 5th boxes with stuff I’ve sorta wanted to read, but haven’t ever gotten around to, like a buncha Batman series. I then have to cart 5 long boxes back to my room – luckily I brought a two wheeler cart with me from home.

508pm went thru artist alley looking for an artist. I collect drawings on the Gen-13 blank white cover. But I couldn’t find an artist I wanted for a sketch.

522 browse celebrity media area.

Bought the con t-shirt

624pm I bought a lot of DC Direct action figures. Then I bought 36 classic illustrated for $2 each.

824pm Ordered small pepperoni from giordano. I’m waiting for the delivery at the Hyatt bar with another Manhattan, watching preseason football

SATURDAY

825 woke up at 6am

Last night I packed all 5 comic boxes

Planned to ship when the fed ex store in the hotel opened at 7

But they don't open until 10 on sat

Went to expo restaurant at the con for breakfast

2 eggs, sausage, hash and toast for $10 including diet pepsi

1037am I’m in the con

1055am I buy 3 statutes -- sue storm, sentry and marvel girl for $135

154pm An incredible sale of silver dollar comics. Bought a lot of dell. He Only took cash. So far I’ve had to go to the ATM twice

I Also shipped another box home – so far I’ve shipped back 7 long boxes

442am I saw Brent Spiner and William Shatner speak – they were great

803pm I’m at Gibsons at the bar, they have piano guy. This is a fun place. I get a dirty grey goose martini, and order the wedge, bone in rib eye, double baked potato, and five rivers pinot. The steak is huge. I’m going to ice down the bone tonight and bring it home for my dog.

Last year was my first at Chicago. Prior to that I'd gone to San Diego, but I couldn't attend last year due to a scheduling conflict. Here's my trip report from last year in Chicago. I keep these notes for myself so I can re-live the convention. Once again this year I had a conflict with San Diego, so I'm going to Chicago again. But I had such a great time last year -- bought a ton of comics -- I'm really looking forward to it.

THURSDAY

I flew in early from DC and checked into the Hyatt Regency O’Hara. I walked from there to the convention center via the Skybridge to check things out. It was a long walk. I wonder if the Embassy or Hilton would be better, as they are across the street. The staff told me that registration opens at 4

At 1125am I went to see Salt at Muvico. It was okay. It’s a long walk to get anywhere here, not like

GasLamp

Registration open early at 2. Took taxi to Al’s Beef for lunch. The taxi cost $10. Got beef sandwich and Chicago dog with everything

Walked back, took about 20 min. Now 330 and I'm waiting in ballroom off side of lobby

They have a VIP registration line but hardly anyone in that line

I'm sitting by fountain in normal registration line

I’m told VIPs get in first not early

The line is moving by 505pm and I’m in the convention hall by 509.

6pm started next to artist alley - browsed that. Then bought stuff at graham crackers -- 50% off silver

7pm still on 1st row – I bought a lot of dollar comics. I ran back to the hotel to drop off my purchases

750pm I brought back my suitcase with wheels – they allow them here, unlike San Diego. I also found the staircase down to the convention floor. Now I like the Hyatt a lot better

I bought a bunch of marvel and DC graphic novels

750pm finally finish browsing 1st row

1012pm I'm in the Hyatt bar. I start with a Manhattan, then order the ceasar salad, bacon avocado mushroom cheddar burger. I thought of ordering out at giordanos or going to gibson, but too late.

By the end of today, I made it halfway down 2nd aisle. One of my last purchases was a bunch of DC and Marvel treasuries ($5 each), and 50 cent comics. Also got a few $5 graphic novels. This con not have excitement of SD or fun of gaslamp, but a lot of comics. Here, it’s a Buyer’s market and I think the comics part is bigger than SD but maybe not as much rare comics, but I’m not looking for that. The shortcut staircase from the Hyatt down to the convention floor makes a big difference on value of Hyatt (I joined their club today, got free newspaper and late checkout sun), as well as being able to take roller suitcase - it means I can buy heavy stuff and not worry about it.

FRIDAY

1130am had lunch at Gibsons, half garbage salad and chicken pot pie for $25. Doubletree with Gibsons, and Embassy suites are most convenient I think.

1130am just got in line, much longer today

The facility of this convention not as nice as SD, like a warehouse

105 front of line moving

Finally in by 115pm

I hit a booth selling $1 comics, but a long box is $150, and the price drops to $100 per box if get 5 boxes. All alpha numeric. I love it, nice selection. I decided to go for 5 long boxes. For the first 3 boxes, I picked carefully against my wantlist. That took a couple of hours, and I wanted to get done. (I could have stopped at 3 boxes, but that would have been $450, so I might as well go for the five as that will be $500 – is this crazy pricing or what?!). But it’s great. I fill the 4th and 5th boxes with stuff I’ve sorta wanted to read, but haven’t ever gotten around to, like a buncha Batman series. I then have to cart 5 long boxes back to my room – luckily I brought a two wheeler cart with me from home.

508pm went thru artist alley looking for an artist. I collect drawings on the Gen-13 blank white cover. But I couldn’t find an artist I wanted for a sketch.

522 browse celebrity media area.

Bought the con t-shirt

624pm I bought a lot of DC Direct action figures. Then I bought 36 classic illustrated for $2 each.

824pm Ordered small pepperoni from giordano. I’m waiting for the delivery at the Hyatt bar with another Manhattan, watching preseason football

SATURDAY

825 woke up at 6am

Last night I packed all 5 comic boxes

Planned to ship when the fed ex store in the hotel opened at 7

But they don't open until 10 on sat

Went to expo restaurant at the con for breakfast

2 eggs, sausage, hash and toast for $10 including diet pepsi

1037am I’m in the con

1055am I buy 3 statutes -- sue storm, sentry and marvel girl for $135

154pm An incredible sale of silver dollar comics. Bought a lot of dell. He Only took cash. So far I’ve had to go to the ATM twice

I Also shipped another box home – so far I’ve shipped back 7 long boxes

442am I saw Brent Spiner and William Shatner speak – they were great

803pm I’m at Gibsons at the bar, they have piano guy. This is a fun place. I get a dirty grey goose martini, and order the wedge, bone in rib eye, double baked potato, and five rivers pinot. The steak is huge. I’m going to ice down the bone tonight and bring it home for my dog.

Ice down the bone? :sick:

So I'm looking at the website trying to see what kind of exclusives there will be but it's pretty slim. This is my first time going to WW Chicago...is it typical that there are more exclusives but they aren't listed anywhere?

Great report! Now that's a true collector. The fact that he ordered the wedge, baked potato and the ribeye underscore that he knows how to eat too!

You should join us at Gibson's on Saturday night for the forum dinner. You'll love it.

So I'm looking at the website trying to see what kind of exclusives there will be but it's pretty slim.

Wizard gets no where near the variety or quantity of exclusives as SDCC. This is good if you don't want to wade thru a huge line of toy or action figure collectors or flippers every morning.

As well you should. Looking forward to it!

Hey there all,

So first time out of New Zealand decided I'd go to a ComicCon and Chicago seemed like a nice place to visit, gets away from NZ in the middle of winter and lets me see some sites I probably wouldn't see otherwise. Sure it's a long way to go... but it will be fun right? :D

Just trying to find out if theres any sort of congregation of geeks / semi-social after con events that occur? Looking to meet as many new and interesting people who share the love for comics I do :)

Cheers,

Carl.

Hey there all,

So first time out of New Zealand decided I'd go to a ComicCon and Chicago seemed like a nice place to visit, gets away from NZ in the middle of winter and lets me see some sites I probably wouldn't see otherwise. Sure it's a long way to go... but it will be fun right? :D

Just trying to find out if theres any sort of congregation of geeks / semi-social after con events that occur? Looking to meet as many new and interesting people who share the love for comics I do :)

Cheers,

Carl.

Carl, there is a very large contingent that usually congregates at the forum dinner at Gibson's Steak House every Saturday at WW Chicago.

There's a separate thread on it here in the events forum if you want to check it out.

Chicago is a gorgeous city (it's Louise's favorite city to visit in the US) but it is a $40 cab ride or a 1 hour train ride away from Rosemont. If you get the chance, check it out though. It's worth every penny/minute. just don't take the train back alone late at night. :eek:

Gary's (Moondog) booth is always a hot spot for boardies, as are other booths if the dealers of members on here (Highgradecomics, Bedrock, Dale Roberts, Graham Crackers, etc).

A few other highlights are

a) Giordano's pizza...the boardies usually do a night there eating a deep dish, Chicago style pizza that looks like it was made for a dinosaur.

b) Friday and especially Saturday night, if you like crowds, mingling and random debauchery, the bar at the host Hyatt hotel (across from the convention centre) is the place to be. It's an outrageous crowd that lingers well into the night there every year with costumes, beer coolers (still lovin' you Transplant) and other fun things to do etc.

Hope you enjoy the trip, and if you see a long, brown curly haired guy that looks like Captain Morgan or Weird Al Yankovic, it's me. Stop me and say hello!

:grin: