• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Registry Awards

424 posts in this topic

Modern Age:

- NewEnglandGothic, Locke & Key - THE BEST PRESENTED SET, HANDS DOWN!

- goonmaniac, Goon

Beautiful set of books there NewEnglandGothic!

And if goonmaniac would post pics and a nice set description, that set would be KILLER.

Here are my votes for achievement in comic collecting:

-rube11

-sufunk

Both of these guys constantly show off amazing new purchases. They should definitely qualify! (worship)

I think Doc Joe has a good shot.

You must be joking :screwy:

Clearly Jeff (Cheetah) will win, and more importantly SHOULD win.

• Administrator

Just a note here from someone on the 'inside' regarding the Best Presented category. We look for original comments. If the comments contain only text that already appears on the label or something that can be found on another website we will not necessarily rule your set out completely but we definitely try to find the sets where users are providing original information.

Is there a story behind how you acquired the book? Does it relate to some time in your life? Is there a specific aspect of the story that appeals to you?

I love this category because anyone can win it.

-rube11

-sufunk

Both of these guys constantly show off amazing new purchases. They should definitely qualify! (worship)

I appreciate the mention but unfortunately, i do not have a chance against some of the other heavyweights like rube, cheetah and Doc Joe :(

I'm too new, dont have any completed sets and without question am just completely outclassed by those guys(and others) collections. I would love to win an award for something but dont see it happening. I definitely bow to those guys and their amazing collections! I'm very, VERY proud of my collection and registry but just no way am i in their league (worship)

Hopefully someday, i can move up into their league but im definitely not there yet and really, i'm not even that close ;)

Just a note here from someone on the 'inside' regarding the Best Presented category. We look for original comments. If the comments contain only text that already appears on the label or something that can be found on another website we will not necessarily rule your set out completely but we definitely try to find the sets where users are providing original information.

I just don't like adding too much to the descriptions, that might spoil any surprises for the potential "new" readers of the series. I really only look at my Registry Set for L&K as a future learning tool for members on this site interested in this title. So, I present it to the maximum. Knowing people enjoy my hard work finding an interesting balance of imformation, giant pictures, trivia, extra books and bragging(unintentional-sometimes) makes me way too happy. Thank you.

But, I do wish everyone luck who might compete this year. Looking forward to seeing some great sets, that will win this year. :applause:

I just don't like adding too much to the descriptions, that might spoil any surprises for the potential "new" readers of the series.

That's where I am at on registry set content. Adding just enough within the book summary to provide high-level details, without going as far as telling everything.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Although on Xenozoic Tales I went a little bit longer on the book summary.

sig.jpg

Now as far as Hellboy content on wiki and what I wrote in my registry set, I corrected a lot of the Hellboy wiki page that a dealer had modified to fit his needs in selling books. So it makes it kind of tough to say "But don't copy wiki" when you provided the content.

But when Branget catches up to me (which he is working on quickly), then we can have a new guy to set the tone for the Hellboy registry sets.

Beautiful set of books there NewEnglandGothic!
:acclaim:

I thank you kindly. :grin:

...But, you have put together some really amazing books. :o

My Modern Gems feel like the "buzzing of flies"* compared to your Bronze beauties.

*Ghostbusters II lol

I am very impressed with that Lock & Key Set!
Thank you.

I've never seen that many 9.9 & 10.0 before in one location!!!
...other than BeachBum's freshly graded submission box. (worship)

But seriously, thank you. It's been really fun to take the book's wonder to another level, through CGC. This has been wild rollercoaster of a focus, soon to be over by next June, when the series ends. To tell you the truth, I lost track of how many 9.9 to 10 books I have to this title. I even have Mints to books CGC doesn't allow as variants, in some obverse gallery shots with more to come.

Oh, Silent Master, love the Joes! Good luck to you. There is alot passion in your sets, I appreciate as a collector. I'm somewhat of a reader of the IDW series myself. I'm always looking for a L&K preview or story.

I just don't like adding too much to the descriptions, that might spoil any surprises for the potential "new" readers of the series.

That's where I am at on registry set content. Adding just enough within the book summary to provide high-level details, without going as far as telling everything.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Although on Xenozoic Tales I went a little bit longer on the book summary.

sig.jpg

Now as far as Hellboy content on wiki and what I wrote in my registry set, I corrected a lot of the Hellboy wiki page that a dealer had modified to fit his needs in selling books. So it makes it kind of tough to say "But don't copy wiki" when you provided the content.

But when Branget catches up to me (which he is working on quickly), then we can have a new guy to set the tone for the Hellboy registry sets.

Your Registry Sets are amazingly imformative and have very beautiful eye candy. You set a great example to collectors. But, I have told you this many times. :applause:

Is there a story behind how you acquired the book? Does it relate to some time in your life? Is there a specific aspect of the story that appeals to you?

Out of interest does cgc have a way of searching the sets

E.g. Sets that are 80% complete, with 100% photos, in silver age with some data entered in the comments section?

That sort of thing, or do you just pound though looking at every set?

• Administrator

Out of interest does cgc have a way of searching the sets

E.g. Sets that are 80% complete, with 100% photos, in silver age with some data entered in the comments section?

That sort of thing, or do you just pound though looking at every set?

In the Best Presented category we do have a search filter applied so that we are not clicking through to sets that have zero descriptions and pictures. We keep the filter criteria very limited though because, in my experience, participants make use of the system in different ways and we don't want to miss out on reviewing a set because it falls just short of some percentage. For example, you can have a user who includes tremendous detail in the comments for each indiviual book but maybe is missing a couple of photos. Some other users make fantastic photos their priority and include limited comments. We want to see all those sets.

So, we are indeed still pounding through hundreds of sets but its a fun and interesting process for us.

-rube11

-sufunk

I think Doc Joe has a good shot.

You must be joking :screwy:

Clearly Jeff (Cheetah) will win, and more importantly SHOULD win.

Thank you, Joe. You are very kind, but there are a lot of incredible collections out there and the GA folks don't get much notice outside the GA forum.