• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Stamps/Bonds/Loans covers - let's see 'em
3 3

226 posts in this topic

These are all fantastic books everyone I like the focus I don't have many myself but I do have the Boy Comics #9 as seen on the left (not as nice as Sagii's copy!!) and than my recent Heritage Super Mystery acquisition...

16217914728_0d12995236_c.jpg

17333852818_b967302a57_z.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. Nice Boy Comics set, and I'm psyched over that Super-Mystery! That cover has it all. (thumbs u

These are all fantastic books everyone I like the focus I don't have many myself but I do have the Boy Comics #9 as seen on the left (not as nice as Sagii's copy!!) and than my recent Heritage Super Mystery acquisition...

16217914728_0d12995236_c.jpg

17333852818_b967302a57_z.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. Nice Boy Comics set, and I'm psyched over that Super-Mystery! That cover has it all. (thumbs u

You are quite welcome and me too!!!! Cant wait for it to hit the doorstep so I can thumb through it!! :whee:

Here's a war bonds cover I just got in. It has been a while, and many of the ones I have left to buy are either expensive, hard to find, or both! This one is around, but finding one in the right grade/price range was tricky. I'm happy with it though.

large.Don_Winslow_27.jpg.8d96b5a28dd709439a40dc2c729bf38e.jpg

I was asked recently if I had a list of war bonds/stamps covers. Here it is. I don't include covers that just have a little logo that says 'buy bonds' or something - I'm really after ones where the war bonds drive is either a part of the cover art itself, or at least works with the art (like the Don Winslow above).

4Most 1.3 flag and war bonds ad

Action 58 slap a jap

Action 59 war bonds and stamps smash axis tanks too

Action 86 7th war loan

Animal Comics 9 buy bonds'

Batman 12 war savings bonds and stamps keep em rolling

Batman 15 keep those bullets flying! Keep buying war bonds and stamps

Batman 17 buy bonds

Batman 18 insure the 4th of July! Buy war bonds and stamps

Batman 30 7th war loan

Big Shot 57 letter

Blue Beetle 25 war stamp

Blue Bolt vol 6 #2 generals and admirals

Boy Commandos 2 Give Hitler the bum's rush with war stamps

Boy Commandos 11 buy war bonds (on back 'infinity' cover)

Boy Commandos 13 7th war loan

Captain Marvel 15 competition to win war bonds

Captain Marvel 26 war stamps for victory

Captain Marvel 37 war stamp

Captain Marvel 47 7th war loan

Captain Marvel jr 21 war stamp

Captain Marvel jr 31 7th war loan

Captain Midnight 22 war stamp

Captain Midnight 32 7th war loan box

Catman 16 Buy bonds, buy stamps, bye bye Axis

Catman 19 Buy bonds

Champ 25 war stamp

Detective 78 the bond wagon

Detective 101 7th war loan

Doll Man Quarterly 6 buy stamps and bonds

Don Winslow 17 war stamp

Don Winslow 27 7th war loan

Four Favorites 11 fighting war bond

Funny Animals 6 war stamp

Funny Animals 20 war stamp

Funny Animals 30 7th war loan box

Green Hornet 18 war bonds parade

Heroic comics 25 5th war bond drive

Looney Tunes 10 flag cover

Looney Tunes 20 buy war bonds'

Looney Tunes 33 war bond

Looney Tunes 45 letter

Magic Comics 44 war bond dagwood

Master 52 war stamp

Master 62 7th war loan box

More Fun 104 war bonds/7th war loan

New Funnies 89 war bond

New Funnies 101 letter

Our Gang 17 'buy bonds' sign on fence

Popular Comics 101 war bond

Popular Comics 113 letter

Power Comics 2 'Back the attack - buy more bonds and stamps'

Speed 38 Iwo Jima tribute

Star spangled 47 7th war loan

Super Comics 74 war bond

Super Comics 86 letter

Superman 18 japanazis

Target vol 3 #8 war stamp

Target vol 5 #8 war bond

Target vol 6 # 5 war bond

True Comics 37 war bond

War Victory Comics nn 5c comic

WDC&S 20 war stamp

WDC&S 22 flag cover

WDC&S 30 buy war bonds'

WDC&S 31 'buy bonds'

WDC&S 46 war bond

WDC&S 58 letter

Whiz comics 31 fight with MacArthur buy defense stamps

Whiz comics 44 war stamps for victory - flag

Whiz comics 56 war stamp

Whiz comics 66 7th war loan

World's Finest 8 'buy bonds'

World's Finest 9 knock out the axis

Wow 27 war stamp

Wow 37 7th war loan box

Ok history buffs. How about the "Women War Workers" logo? Torch at bottom right. One of my fav covers by the way.

image173.jpg

I did some research on it. As it turns out, this was an official logo created for the express purpose of a “Women at Work Cover Promotion.” The Magazine War Guide (part of the U.S. Office of War Information) recommended all magazines participate with their September 1943 publications. The slogan for this campaign was “The More Women at Work the Sooner We Win.”

Norman Rockwell got behind the effort, painting “Liberty Girl’ for the Saturday Evening Post. I was able to find a number of participating magazines. In regard to comics, this appears to be the only one published with the promotion.

Happy if someone here can find another?

Ok history buffs. How about the "Women War Workers" logo? Torch at bottom right. One of my fav covers by the way.

image173.jpg

I did some research on it. As it turns out, this was an official logo created for the express purpose of a “Women at Work Cover Promotion.” The Magazine War Guide (part of the U.S. Office of War Information) recommended all magazines participate with their September 1943 publications. The slogan for this campaign was “The More Women at Work the Sooner We Win.”

Norman Rockwell got behind the effort, painting “Liberty Girl’ for the Saturday Evening Post. I was able to find a number of participating magazines. In regard to comics, this appears to be the only one published with the promotion.

Happy if someone here can find another?

I haven't seen any others, but thanks for sharing that one. I must show it to my mother, who spent WW2 putting rivets in aeroplanes for the Royal Australian Air Force.

Here's a war bonds cover I just got in. It has been a while, and many of the ones I have left to buy are either expensive, hard to find, or both! This one is around, but finding one in the right grade/price range was tricky. I'm happy with it though.

Don_Winslow_27_zpscq1g1s2u.jpg

Date stamp at 1 year annivesray of D-Day too. Would be cool to have a 1944 book with a June 6th date stamp.