• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinion

189 posts in this topic

I agree Ricky........I think a lot of people have just expressed an aggrevation that they keep hearing the same thing about this over and over in multiple threads from ablue. I don't really know......that's just the impression I get.

I don't really give a damn.......I just like a good scrap.

I don't think they mind restoration topics. Go ahead and look in the new category that Arch made for us. I think that your broken record post style of "cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed""cleaned and pressed"

got on their last nerves tongue.gif

Jamie, I understand the intent of the post. Yes, it may have been intended to warn people but come on, using hearsay as your proof to warn people? Sorry, but for whatever reason, ablue's intial tone on this thread lact the usual tact. Like so many other threads, he comes on strong and ends it off by saying that he respects Matt and Mark and have dealt with them in the past. This is just too weird. confused.gif

Sorry, but just because you heard about it doesn't mean that it is right to start a thread with this information. Did you ask Matt for his permission to drop his name in the thread? How do you know if Mark isn't lurking on these boards? Don't you think that there may be some tensions caused if you start using people's name to support a point. If I was Matt, I would be totally pissed at you. mad.gif

I think that alot of the problem here is the length of time that forum members have been in the hobby, as a whole, and the lack of the amount of "inside" knowledge they have been priviledged to. In the late 80's and early 90s, Mark had a restoration service. Mark performed the work himself. Mark also had a retail business AND the two did cross over. Mark personally restored a high percentage of the books that he sold whether maximally (taking parts from other covers and pages to extensively reconstruct comics), or minimally (just tape removal, cleaning pressing and light color touch or spine reinforcement using japan paper inside the spine). This was common knowledge among higher ups in the collecting community, and prominant dealers and was definitely not heresay. To eradicate his rep as "not being able to leave anything alone on an unrestored comic that could be improved", Mark, understandably was drawn to CGC graded comics and very many of his initial submissions the first few months of CGCs operation received restored grades. Alot of these were comics that Mark had inventoried for quite a while. Mark's specialty was chemical cleaning and pressing and Matt Wilson took over the business when Mark started to develop chronic styes and other eye problems do to repeated and prolonged exposure to these chemical fumes. All of Mark's techniques were with a high degree of archival excellence and professionalism and he did not see slight alteration as a destructive or detrimental factor. In my estimation, of all the comic restorers that concentrate their efforts on comics almost exclusively (ruling out art and graphics restoration), Mark was the best there ever was, outdoing Sue Ciccone by a wide margin, in that all of Mark's work looked very natural and unrestored, consistantly. Much of Sue's work seemed processed and overdone by comparison and far more obvious.

Causing trouble first thing in the morning? Damn Jayhawk!

Man, Greggy, it's this new computer! I didn't get to play with it yesterday (because of my cat's ball-lopping) so I've gotta take this bad boy for a test drive! laugh.gif What better way to go about that than doing donuts around the short bus??

Thanks, Hammer. Do you know what happened to World's Finest's inventory after he stopped? I read that he sold to Greg Manning, but I never noticed any of his stuff at their auctions? WF had about the most jawdropping gallery on the web - right up there with Metropolis. Too bad it went away...