• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
18 18

1,067 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Averaging about $60 a book after sale with Texas tax, is neither bad for buyer nor seller. I understand some are raw and or vg condition, only a few of the whole.

I won't ask profit, but if I had the $13,000 and already owned an asm 1 or af 15 lol then I'd have liked too buy it, deep thoughts after the fact is hard! haha

One of those daydreams 😂 

I hope it went well for all parties though!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

So with the Batman 247, I'm only missing 6 Mark Jeweler variants in the titles of Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics and Justice League of America.  Namely, Batman 245 & 390, Detective 470 & 548, Action Comics 579, and JLA 107.   Of those 6, the only one that I know exists for sure is the JLA 107 because I lost a bid on a vg- copy (it went for $91 dagnabit!).   The rest remain elusive.  I think the Batman 245 and TEC 470 should exist but I can't say for sure.

Posted (edited)
On 10/10/2012 at 12:02 AM, Shark said:

Here's a question for you guys:

Is there a complete list of ALL of the comics that could have contained a Mark Jewelers insert? Or does such a list even exist? hm

I went back to the beginning of this thread and saw the question as posted above.   I've been tracking these jeweler variants for years and I don't think anyone has every compiled a listing of all DC comics that could have contained the insert (I could get pretty close to having a comprehensive list... but I think I will wait until I'm retired before I take on that mission).   I do know the following for DC comic books:

1.  The MJ inserts never appeared in any square-bound giants.

2.  They rarely appeared in saddle-stapled giants but there are exceptions.

3.  For all non-giant issues, I believe every single DC title that had a cover date of August or Aug/Sept 1972 contained the insert.

4.  None ever appeared in issues with cover dates of March, April or Mar/April 1975 (odd that only those two months were skipped).  MyComicShop has been selling thousands of them over the span of more than 15 years but I've never seen a single issue sold with those cover dates.  I also bought a run of star-stamped Justice League of America issues from issue #'s 97 through 135, and none of 100-page giants nor the #117 dated April 1975 contained the insert.  Recall the star-stamp indicated that it was solid in a military PX.   Of that run, all the issues between 100 and 135 contained the insert except for the 100-pagers and the April 1975 issue.

5.  The last issues that contained the insert had cover dates of July 1986, but the issues with July 1986 cover date that were released in the last few weeks of that month did not contain the insert. 

6.  To make matters worse, I believe some of the later issues from Aug 72 throught July 1986 may have been either accidentally or purposely skipped.   Examples include Detective Comics 548 (Mar 1985) and Batman 390 (Dec 1985).   I believe that to be true because I bought runs of comic books that had jeweler inserts but the TEC 548 and Batman 390 within those runs did not include jeweler ads.   But... to be fair... I don't know if that was a fluke so I keep looking.   For example, I bought a large run (approx 100 issues) of Superman jeweler variants but the Superman 327 from that run was missing the ad, but I have found at least 2 other copies of Superman 327 that contained the advertising insert.  

7.  So the challenge is this... there must be more than 1,000 issues of DC Mark Jeweler variants.   But the variables above would make it very challenging to produce a definitive list of the jeweler variants.  

So....jeweler variants of Detective 548 or Batman 390?   Are they the missing links?   

TEC548.thumb.webp.12a6871fe14b2547aed56295ad116d18.webpBatman390.thumb.webp.79403ef382ab4cd4f41a8fbfc554fa74.webp

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 7/7/2024 at 5:31 PM, Microchip said:

I'd never seen one of these, and had to get it.   I think the grading may have been on the harsh side of things.

Punisher #1 CGC 9.2 MJ.jpeg

Maybe @nepatkm has, but again 🧐 🆒 nice grab!

The signature series book recently came back from the "Wolverine's 50th" signing which happened to have 3 contributors to one of my favorite Daredevil issues. Just before I got that back,  I picked up another Mark Jewelers copy with the same grade & pq.  I have not seen any Mark Jewelers notes on GPA sales & these are the only 2 MJ copies of this issue I have seen so far.20240701_155001.thumb.jpg.5ae66958549ec07b97a38b2fb616e41c.jpg20240701_155349.thumb.jpg.13229c8167a65e9ae8aa915346d89d45.jpg

On 7/7/2024 at 11:07 PM, Spidey 62 said:

I don't believe I'm allowed to show it (it's graded by the other guys) , but I have an ASM 238 MJ.  Also have about 30 others raw.  Small but growing sub-collection. 

Just crop the label out and you can show it.

I leave it to those willing to search this thread for my original & other posts, but this Fear 23 is just back from CGC. The Fear run I bought +2 decades ago so far yielded the following graded MJs. The other issues were just regular editions. This in the running for the top cover from the Morbius Fears. Definitely one of the quirkier sets I have.

#20 - 7.5 (a small BC stain away from grading closer to the other ones)

#22 - 9.4 (signed by Ron Wilson)

#23 - 9.0

#24 - 9.2

#26 - ungraded

Fear-23.jpg

On 7/29/2024 at 8:05 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I just received this jeweler variant today.  It is Action Comics 579.   It was the last jeweler variant that I needed to find in the run of Action Comics after searching for 12+ years.  I was beginning to believe it did not exist.   But I kept looking.   I recently asked a seller of an Action 579 if his copy on ebay was a jeweler variant.  The answer was "no" but he was buying some long boxes that he thought contained jeweler variants, and he would let me know if he found any.  He was disappointed that this Action 579 was the only one he could find.   Me... I was thrilled that he found even one (it has been 3 years since I've been able to find a jeweler variant that I didn't previously think existed).

So now I have found every single jeweler variant that could exist for Superman and Action Comics.   There are 158 of them in Superman and 157 of them in Action Comics.   Now there's only 4 of the possible 890 jeweler variants in the titles of JLA, Batman, Detective, Superman and Action Comics that I haven't been able to find yet (namely, Batman 245 & 390, Detective 470 & 548).  If you find one of those, I sure would like to hear about it on this thread.

action579.thumb.jpg.3d14b1adc8bcb958c4ba3a3103825a33.jpg

So, if that's the last issue with a Jeweler's insert you needed, would you say the issue comes with an Asterix?

(Sorry, I'll see myself out...)

On 7/7/2024 at 8:38 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

I went back to the beginning of this thread and saw the question as posted above.   I've been tracking these jeweler variants for years and I don't think anyone has every compiled a listing of all DC comics that could have contained the insert (I could get pretty close to having a comprehensive list... but I think I will wait until I'm retired before I take on that mission).   I do know the following for DC comic books:

1.  The MJ inserts never appeared in any square-bound giants.

2.  They rarely appeared in saddle-stapled giants but there are exceptions.

3.  For all non-giant issues, I believe every single DC title that had a cover date of August or Aug/Sept 1972 contained the insert.

4.  None ever appeared in issues with cover dates of March, April or Mar/April 1975 (odd that only those two months were skipped).  MyComicShop has been selling thousands of them over the span of more than 15 years but I've never seen a single issue sold with those cover dates.  I also bought a run of star-stamped Justice League of America issues from issue #'s 97 through 135, and none of 100-page giants nor the #117 dated April 1975 contained the insert.  Recall the star-stamp indicated that it was solid in a military PX.   Of that run, all the issues between 100 and 135 contained the insert except for the 100-pagers and the April 1975 issue.

5.  The last issues that contained the insert had cover dates of July 1986, but the issues with July 1986 cover date that were released in the last few weeks of that month did not contain the insert. 

6.  To make matters worse, I believe some of the later issues from Aug 72 throught July 1986 may have been either accidentally or purposely skipped.   Examples include Detective Comics 548 (Mar 1985) and Batman 390 (Dec 1985).   I believe that to be true because I bought runs of comic books that had jeweler inserts but the TEC 548 and Batman 390 within those runs did not include jeweler ads.   But... to be fair... I don't know if that was a fluke so I keep looking.   For example, I bought a large run (approx 100 issues) of Superman jeweler variants but the Superman 327 from that run was missing the ad, but I have found at least 2 other copies of Superman 327 that contained the advertising insert.  

7.  So the challenge is this... there must be more than 1,000 issues of DC Mark Jeweler variants.   But the variables above would make it very challenging to produce a definitive list of the jeweler variants.  

So....jeweler variants of Detective 548 or Batman 390?   Are they the missing links?   

TEC548.thumb.webp.12a6871fe14b2547aed56295ad116d18.webpBatman390.thumb.webp.79403ef382ab4cd4f41a8fbfc554fa74.webp

The 390 looks like a Canadian copy?

On 8/13/2024 at 3:33 AM, Silver Surfer said:

The 390 looks like a Canadian copy?

Good point my friend.... so there's no way the Batman 390 shown above could contain a jeweler variant.  I've never seen nor heard of a Canadian price variant containing a jeweler insert.  That makes sense since the Mark Jeweler ads were inserted into comic books that were to be displayed at US Military PX's.