• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jewelers inserts...
19 19

1,027 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

well that throws my theory out the window... lol!

Maybe, Captain. Maybe no be. At least people like us have theories.....

On 11/30/2023 at 7:25 PM, scburdet said:

Back from TerrifiCon signed by Ron Wilson. I should have asked him for more specifics about who did what for the cover art. Even Marvel's website says something different than CGC's label. Either way, the highest grade for any MJs I've submitted. The covers for these Fear books are great.

Fear-22.jpg

Sweet  book!  I did a similar thing getting a Tom Palmer signature on a Tomb of Dracula #8. 

I just picked up a lot at a local store.  A couple different years and I notice that there are different color schemes and a numeral on the order page that is different in most cases.  An example from a MTU 87 Spiderman is the MJ insert has a blue 1st and last page, with purple on the inside and the number 33 at the bottom of the order form from Nov 1979.  An identical color scheme but number 333 listed from a Dec 79 Spiderman 199 book, then I have an issue 201 from Feb 1981 back to the 33.

I also have a number 55 with black color scheme and also just a 5.

Does anyone have a comprehensive Marvel list yet of issues and MJV variants?  Would be very helpful to track.  Thanks all!

Second question.  I've collected 30 cent and 35 cent variants for years.  I was wondering if any of these have the MJV in them.  I've done a google search and found no info.  Thanks all!

On 1/2/2024 at 5:25 PM, JRibble said:

Second question.  I've collected 30 cent and 35 cent variants for years.  I was wondering if any of these have the MJV in them.  I've done a google search and found no info.  Thanks all!

I don’t think price variants were distributed at military bases and would not be candidates for the Mark Jeweler insert.  Who know what could happen by error at the printer.  Try asking in the price variant thread.  

On 1/18/2024 at 7:25 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Now there's a great example of what can happen when 3 or 4 Mark Jeweler enthusiasts are all going for the same comic book.   

That last second action was crazy wasn’t it. My bid didn’t even register! 

Interested in opinions on whether this issue is a genuine MJ insert or owner added.  The bottom staple has one prong sheered off.  Not sure how this would happen unless it was bent open and broke when being bent back closed.  Also the insert is a matted card stock and not glossy print like the other MJ inserts I own. Thanks!

IMG_6487.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

On 2/22/2024 at 11:19 AM, icp004 said:

Interested in opinions on whether this issue is a genuine MJ insert or owner added.  The bottom staple has one prong sheered off.  Not sure how this would happen unless it was bent open and broke when being bent back closed.  Also the insert is a matted card stock and not glossy print like the other MJ inserts I own. Thanks!

IMG_6487.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

It is authentic.   The key is that little "88" code in the lower right hand side of the insert.   Almost all inserts that appeared in issues with cover dates of Nov 1975 have that code on the blue matted paper stock.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:36 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

It is authentic.   The key is that little "88" code in the lower right hand side of the insert.   Almost all inserts that appeared in issues with cover dates of Nov 1975 have that code on the blue matted paper stock.

p.s.  If you could find another jeweler variant of that Witching Hour #60 (good luck on that), you might even see that same stapling defect on another copy.   A good example is the jeweler variant of Justice League of America 122.   The jeweler insert of that comic book has the cover stapled onto the comic book after the insert was already stapled into the centerfold (go figure how that would happen).   I've seen 3 copies that all had the double set of staples on them. 

In other words, I believe all jeweler variants of JLA 122 have 4 staples in them.  If one didn't know better, they would guess that someone just stapled an insert into the comic book to make it look like a jeweler variant.  

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Calling on the CGC community for assistance on this one.

In seeing the Mark Jeweler inserts gaining more and more steam over the years in the comic book world, I have just submitted a ticket/question internally to CGC if they would or have ever noted a Mark Jewelers incorrectly placed upside down in a book. Virtually no information online, and wanted to see if anyone out there has come across one. And what is needed to petition CGC to start noting in reflecting this on their labels. Understanding the extreme rarity of this…would think it would be greatly beneficial to both CGC and the customer to have it.