• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Signature Auction Results, Astonishments, Shocks, Disappointments, etc.

417 posts in this topic

Saw the JIM 83 in 8.5 went for $28,680 so maybe the 8.0 that went for $28,574 at ComicLink last week was not as over the top as thought.

Still over the top a bit, perhaps, for that 8.0. I think Roy's probably right, that some pressers saw some potential in that Clink copy, which drove it into 8.5 territory. I'm rooting for you on your Clink sale of your 8.0, btw.

Whoever got the JIM #83 in the Heritage auction today got a good deal, given the white page quality. I thought that would go for somewhere north of $30,000.

I actually won a lot as well, but nothing in that ballpark! The bidding for some of the ASM lots was fierce...

DAMN! The Four Color 878 sold for like 14x guide ($3800). Nice to see, but still shocking.

I love that book, but I will take the 8.0 I paid $75 for on eBay. lol

its not even the first Peanuts apperance...whats all the hubbub?

Curious about the FF #1 Apparent 8.5 Slight (P) that just sold in the live auction.

The restoration notes on the label say "Restoration includes: cover cleaned and pressed, reinforced." I understand that CGC views both reinforcing and some cleaning methods as restoration, but why would they include pressing on that list? Doesn't it contradict their position that pressing is not a restoration? Or when a book is "cleaned and pressed", are those two actions cumulative and inseparable, and therefore pressing becomes a form of restoration?

Not looking to start yet another pressing debate. Just wondering if there is a precedent of which I'm not aware.

I was bidding on the Tec 395. Got up to 3100 and was willing to go higher, but internet lag hit. By the time I reconnected, bidding had closed on it. Oh well.

It was fun being at the auction, seeing those prices shoot up real fast. A couple of board members won some items, most things were purchased thru Heritage Live. Heritage also puts out a nice lunch spread, Thanks Ed and Lon!!

Curious about the FF #1 Apparent 8.5 Slight (P) that just sold in the live auction.

The restoration notes on the label say "Restoration includes: cover cleaned and pressed, reinforced." I understand that CGC views both reinforcing and some cleaning methods as restoration, but why would they include pressing on that list? Doesn't it contradict their position that pressing is not a restoration? Or when a book is "cleaned and pressed", are those two actions cumulative and inseparable, and therefore pressing becomes a form of restoration?

Not looking to start yet another pressing debate. Just wondering if there is a precedent of which I'm not aware.

CGC will note pressing if it is done in conjunction with restoration, and in the case of a cleaned cover I believe it would have to be pressed after cleaning to make if flat again so there is no guesswork there.

I could be wrong, maybe someone else knows better.

with rumors of house bidding, I don't like to leave internet bids and let them ride...live or dive (thumbs u

Rumors? It happens all time, their rules clearly allow it.

with rumors of house bidding, I don't like to leave internet bids and let them ride...live or dive (thumbs u

Rumors? It happens all time, their rules clearly allow it.

I know, just being politically correct lol

I was bidding on the Tec 395. Got up to 3100 and was willing to go higher, but internet lag hit. By the time I reconnected, bidding had closed on it. Oh well.

Consider yourself lucky. That is one of the softest 9.6's I've ever seen with all of the bottom edge stress. Looks more like a 9.0 than a 9.6. When I initially saw that there was a 9.6 coming up a few weeks ago, I got excited but then I clicked on the large scan and decided I wouldn't be bidding. What did it go for?

If a book is wet cleaned, then it also has to be pressed to get it to lay flat again. The two are part and parcel of an overall process.

for whatever reason it seems SS 4 9.4s on heritage do well too. both of them sold for 1900+ today and i remember one few months ago go for 3k. i've had mine sitting on ebay at under 1600 for while off and on

CGC will note pressing if it is done in conjunction with restoration, and in the case of a cleaned cover I believe it would have to be pressed after cleaning to make if flat again so there is no guesswork there.

That's my understanding as well, wet cleaning involves both disassembly and requires pressing. Dry cleaning or spot pressing is undetectable and wouldn't be noted.

Consider yourself lucky. That is one of the softest 9.6's I've ever seen with all of the bottom edge stress. Looks more like a 9.0 than a 9.6. When I initially saw that there was a 9.6 coming up a few weeks ago, I got excited but then I clicked on the large scan and decided I wouldn't be bidding. What did it go for?

A crazy price paid for a book which I thought was at best a 9.2. Wonder who did the grading on that copy ?

Agreed. Gift grade.

Anyone know what the HOM 175 went for? I can't get on Heritage right now to see if my proxy bid held up :frustrated:

I thought the spine stress alone on the 395 would have knocked it out of 9.6 range without even looking at the damage on the BRFC.

No further movement on the Action 1...
not only no "further" movement, but NO movement at all...it was 80K overpriced... no one was bidding 150K + BP on that or any restored copy outside of the historically significant court copy (thumbs u

on a side note, lost the bound volume by one bid :cry:

Agreed. Gift grade.

Anyone know what the HOM 175 went for? I can't get on Heritage right now to see if my proxy bid held up :frustrated:

I thought the spine stress alone on the 395 would have knocked it out of 9.6 range without even looking at the damage on the BRFC.

:banana::banana:

Thanks for looking it up for me.