• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,924 posts in this topic

Well, for about the past 7 months I have been sweating over a shipment of books I bought from a seller off of Ebay. I have dealt with him on several occasions and did not feel like he was trying to do me wrong, but something was definitely not right with the circumstances. The seller was in Canada and he shipped my books with insurance but they never arrived. After numerous phone conversations I was able to find out from him that an employee with Canada Post where he shipped the package might have pulled it to the side for some reason. We thought we were going to have to file a loss claim, but the Canadian authorities were trying to do everything to stall this. They needed photos of the books, an appraiser to state that they were indeed the value claimed, ect ect. In the meantime, the postal employee who pulled the package to the side was transferred to another province and it was at a turtle's pace that they attempted to get in contact with him. Once they were finally able to find him, he was able to tell them his reasoning for pulling the package and the reason it was not delivered. According to him, the address on the package had become smeared and was not readable and he knew that the seller was prone to travel on business for months at a time. He hid the package so that a delivery attempt would not be made as he feared it would have truly been lost then in its trip across the border. He was going to contact the seller once he returned from his business dealings, but he was transferred in the meantime and the package was forgotten. He was able to tell them where it was stored at the post office and they finally found it today. The box was not damaged and the books were still in their gorgeous shape according to the seller. He said he was going to get them sent back out on Friday by air mail this time. I can't believe that the books were found and thought I was going to have to possibly eat this large amount of money due to the pure hassle involved. The books in question are

the following, and they are strict graded beautiful copies according to the high rez scans I still have of them.

House of Mystery 195 NM-

House of Secrets 99 NM-

New Gods 3 NM

Witching Hour 3 NM

Witching Hour 36 NM+

Witching Hour 37 NM+

Phantom Stranger 14 NM+

Phantom Stranger 20 NM+

Unexpected 155 NM+

I know I don't have them in my hands as of yet, but I have more of a reason to smile than I did yesterday. Thanks for letting me vent/share.

Scott

Hey Scott - is this the same fruitcake you and i have been talking about for months? if so, GOOD WORK MAN! hail.gif

Wow... $600 for the 9.4 BB 93 on the link blush.gif

Yeah, silly me for thinking that a bid of 350-375 would get this book. I decided to hold my bid back in the event that it might enter the stratosphere. Guess I will have to be happy with the Avengers 53 I picked up instead. tongue.gif

Guy, the books in question were from another seller. I never received the books from the person you are talking about. I was able to get my partial refund through Ebay about 5 months later, so it helped with the sting somewhat. Guess my luck is not the best sometimes, but I'm sure we all have our horror stories as I know you have had your share too. wink.gif

Scott

As was the PS #10.

That's insane. Great QP on that copy. BA horror is beyond the pale at this point. screwy.gif

Funny thing is....we said the same thing years ago...and the bar keeps being raised. I won the PS #5 and #6 for reasonable market rates. Even the #8 went for ~$280...about $50 over my price point. Don't even get me started about the other PS copies on CL where the seller wants $300+ for a $150 book. mad.gif

I'm just saying no....they can find someone else to fork over the dough. I'm done this year anyway. I'm calling it "Pete's Rule".

I'm just saying no....they can find someone else to fork over the dough. I'm done this year anyway. I'm calling it "Pete's Rule".

Right...........Until the next gems pop up. Long way to go 'til the end of the year. poke2.gif

As was the PS #10.

That's insane. Great QP on that copy. BA horror is beyond the pale at this point. screwy.gif

Funny thing is....we said the same thing years ago...and the bar keeps being raised. I won the PS #5 and #6 for reasonable market rates. Even the #8 went for ~$280...about $50 over my price point. Don't even get me started about the other PS copies on CL where the seller wants $300+ for a $150 book. mad.gif

It just doesn't make sense to me. I could buy 5 or 6 NICE golden age horror books for that amount with some careful looking and spending. I mean copies in the 6.0-7.0 range. I realize that people like what they like, but that kind of disparity makes me scratch my head.

I would love to know who is paying these prices. Are new collectors entering and willing to pay the prices or is it speculators? I'm glad to be sticking with the 9.2 grades or I would be going crazy at these levels. Then again, for certain issues even the 9.2 prices are getting steep. Will this bubble burst or continue to rise. Guess we'll find out in next few years.

One thing is for sure, if people are hoarding high grade issues and these prices aren't bringing them to market then I wonder if they ever will. Recently someone on the boards made the comment that many of the pre75 DC horror books may only have a single 9.6 or 9.4 as highest graded. I think this will become reality in the years ahead and a few books may only have a 9.2 as highest graded. It will be interesting to watch.

Right...........Until the next gems pop up. Long way to go 'til the end of the year. poke2.gif

I think I'm up to the challenge. tonofbricks.gif

I realize that people like what they like, but that kind of disparity makes me scratch my head.

I hear ya...there are some dedicated collectors to this genre, me included. I'm drawing the line in the sand, which could very well end my HG collecting. I need a breather anyway.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I could buy 5 or 6 NICE golden age horror books for that amount with some careful looking and spending. I mean copies in the 6.0-7.0 range. I realize that people like what they like, but that kind of disparity makes me scratch my head.

Someone, somewhere is probably thinking that for the price of 5 or 6 NICE golden age horror books, they could complete their Indian Nickle collection...or their pog, pez, stamp, coin, Barbie, GI Joe, or cooked-foods-that-look-like-Mary collection! 27_laughing.gif

You don't expect us collectors to act rationally, do you? screwy.gif

I picked up the PS12 last night. the 10's been on my drool list forever, and i'd have bid stupid on it if i'd paid attention to the next bid increment. that kind of $$ though it's gotta be serpi or redf1. only a few of us drunk enough, i guess tongue.gif

BTW, to catch y'all up on a topic from 83 pages back or so - that raw witching hour 38 i bought on feebay from ssaenz at 152.50 came back 9.4 white. now i can finally uncross my fingers smile.gifcloud9.gif