• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Wow, the centering is almost perfect on that copy!!! Great book. thumbsup2.gif

From where I sit, that is perfect centering, based on how difficult it is to get a centered book of that issue. Nice!

Sorry, I keep thinking of the Oakland copy of that book. Not dissing anyone here!!! I wish, I owned one.

Bronze is great, but only for the truly scarce material over the long run.

And even the "scarce" material is becoming more available. That's not my motivation for collecting it anyway, but the first of both HOM and HOS still are difficult to find in HG with ease. Anyone like me collecting it is for the love of the series/genre...I'm paying little attention to the value side of the equation, other than acquisition costs should be better managed. Everyone likes to maximize value.

Scarcity means little if there's no interest. How many want a HG Ghastly Tales #70? Even if you own the only HG copy, it doesn't matter if there's no interest. So, from that standpoint I am optimistic that the interest in BA horror has its stock increased in recent years. As with all stocks, it will rise and fall.

Yes, you've got a point, interest and availability have incresed hand in hand. I just wouldn't want people thinking that where we are now represents the ful census picture for a lot of our bronze horror books as far as what is rare, and yes as you point out, in demand. A crucial element.

but the first of both HOM and HOS still are difficult to find in HG with ease.

Speaking of which, I visited a small local con today. There were about a dozen or so exhibitors and practically NO bronze age horror to be had (that is unless Sterling got there before me, and bought it all!!). Believe it or not, this is the only HG bronze horror book that I found. frustrated.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

1224053-HOM174.jpg

1224053-HOM174.jpg.81298d86fcba42405aab06258e94dcbe.jpg

but the first of both HOM and HOS still are difficult to find in HG with ease.

Speaking of which, I visited a small local con today. There were about a dozen or so exhibitors and practically NO bronze age horror to be had (that is unless Sterling got there before me, and bought it all!!). Believe it or not, this is the only HG bronze horror book that I found. frustrated.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

1224053-HOM174.jpg

Very nice! cloud9.gifcloud9.gif wanna share your idea of what the grade is?

Even though he doesn't need it for his set, if the price was around guide then I doubt Sterling would have left this little nugget fer ya. takeit.gif

I'm thinking at least a 9.2. Very glossy. Snow white pages and very supple. Actually, going back over it, there is a very small non=coloring breaking crease in the LRC. I don't think it's visible in the scan, and it almost looks like part of the artwork,but I think that would hold the grade down. Still, it's a very, very nice copy. I have another copy somewhere in my collection that I want to pull out and compare the two. One of them will probably hit the 'bay soon!!

I'm thinking at least a 9.2. Very glossy. Snow white pages and very supple. Actually, going back over it, there is a very small non=coloring breaking crease in the LRC. I don't think it's visible in the scan, and it almost looks like part of the artwork,but I think that would hold the grade down. Still, it's a very, very nice copy. I have another copy somewhere in my collection that I want to pull out and compare the two. One of them will probably hit the 'bay soon!!

Cool! I'll keep my peepers peeled. yay.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

damn! That would've been worth the $3 admission price. Nope, didn't go...I'm wraping up some deals and I'm officially done for the year. According to the scan, this looks like "at least" a 9.2 (edit: saw your grade...looks like we are close). White pages? For some reason, most of the back covers for this ish is always tanner than I would like.

I'm going to get sarcastic here: did you find ANY high grade ANYTHING? Last time I went (if it was the one where Sal and arexcooke and I met) there wasn't too much hg to select from...I was officially a freak for asking for it.

I just wouldn't want people thinking that where we are now represents the full census picture for a lot of our bronze horror books as far as what is rare, and yes as you point out, in demand. A crucial element.

Well, everyone "Should" know that there are many good copies of every book generally speaking...and that census numbers will always be increasing. Being the first on the block of a hg copy is always pricey and inherently risky...because as more copies show up...relative prices "Should" be decreasing. Unless of course, demand is keeping up with supply. I think we've all overpaid for books we wanted...especially if it was the only hg copy "perceived" to be available at the time. I fully take that into consideration...

I'm going to get sarcastic here: did you find ANY high grade ANYTHING? Last time I went (if it was the one where Sal and arexcooke and I met) there wasn't too much hg to select from...I was officially a freak for asking for it.

There wasn't that much high grade stuff there. The dealer that I bought the HOM from had some very nice HG stuff (mostly Silver). In fact, I passed on a beautiful X-Men #35 that he had, that I now regret. In fact, I'm going to be calling him and see if he still has it. The rest of the stuff there was just ok. Some dealers had a few things. Not much BA at all. Most of the other stuff that I looked at was mid- to upper mid-grade stuff. Of course, you have to ralize that this is not a large con that brings in dealers from all over. Mostly locals, and most of their stuff I've seen over and over again at these shows, but it's still a lot of fun to go and talk comics with these guys. I enjoy the show more for that than actually buying comics, although I usually walk away with a few books!

. I think we've all overpaid for books we wanted...especially if it was the only hg copy "perceived" to be available at the time. I fully take that into consideration...

Well thats where we are right now, chasing the big books as they come in...be damned whats around the corner.

And yes I'm no more a fortune teller than you or anyone else, and subsequently have been drawn in. Resulting as you know, in me paying through the nose on a few books. thumbsup2.gif

. I think we've all overpaid for books we wanted...especially if it was the only hg copy "perceived" to be available at the time. I fully take that into consideration...

Well thats where we are right now, chasing the big books as they come in...be damned whats around the corner.

And yes I'm no more a fortune teller than you or anyone else, and subsequently have been drawn in. Resulting as you know, in me paying through the nose on a few books. thumbsup2.gif

But you have some damn nice sweet books...and nice runs...I tend to avoid the higher priced books...which is why it takes 550 of my books to overtake the 150 that is in your registry.

When I come back, it will be for all of the keys...$1,000+ books.

I have a rule, no more than $50 for a raw BA book. So, I try to find as high a grade as possible. There will be an exceptions to this rule. Slabbed uber grades and Keys(namely that pesky darn HOS 92). It means you just have to look very hard but there are plenty of nice books out there in Bronze Age Horror that you can get for that price.

Edited by Timulty

I have a rule, no more than $50 for a raw BA book. So, I try to find as high a grade as possible. There will be an except to this rule. Slabbed uber grades and Keys(namely that pesky darn HOS 92). It means you just have to look very hard but there are plenty of nice books out there in Bronze Age Horror that you can get for that price.

Good advice...thumbsup2.gif

Looks like my Horror books will be graded next week. Talk about a wait. I'm hoping for the following grades.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Witching Hour 4 to be a 9.2

House of Mystery 188 to be a 9.6

House of Mystery 190 to be a 9.2

The countdown is almost over... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well guys, here is the follow-up to my earlier posts about the 9 books that had been in limbo for about 7 months. They were delivered about 20 minutes ago and I have just finished checking them out. All I can say is WOW. These books are truly beautiful. I take back what I said about the Unexpected 155 being a NM+ 9.6, let's change that to a 9.8. The others are just what I expected them to be. After all this time, I can't believe I actually have them in my hands. These babies are heading to CGC very soon. I think the wife is taking our daughter to the in-laws in Houston this weekend, so I should have some time to get some scans uploaded. Just to let everybody know, these books came from ebay seller strongside. Some of you know him as Marty and have made statements about him over-grading books. He has never been anything but honest and good to me, and these books were as good or better than stated. With that said....I think I will pat myself on the back now for not giving up hope. acclaim.gif

Scott