• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,913 posts in this topic

i agree sid, that one is great! Dominguez was so good at setting mood. I love tthe cobwebs!

I grew up on Dominguez covers on the DC mystery books. I actually read in a later HOS issue's "House of Secrets SPEAKS" letter column that there was a general section of the reader audience that were tired of his covers. Go figure.

Never did trust what the "House" said! That house had an attitude problem! insane.gif

i agree sid, that one is great! Dominguez was so good at setting mood. I love tthe cobwebs!

I grew up on Dominguez covers on the DC mystery books. I actually read in a later HOS issue's "House of Secrets SPEAKS" letter column that there was a general section of the reader audience that were tired of his covers. Go figure.

Never did trust what the "House" said! That house had an attitude problem! insane.gif

That he did....That he did. Abel couldn't get respect even in his own mag! But to clarify many readers dialed in with "No more Dominguez". screwy.gif

Circa 1981. I was 11 years old. I lived in Raleigh NC at the time, and I was reading and collecting all the mystery mags every month. I was thrilled that Ghosts started a letter column, so I wrote a letter to DC. Lo and behold, I received a "care" package a month or so later, with a bunch of cool bronze age mystery mags with a mention that they were going to use my letter. Although they didn't publish my letter, I at least received a mention in this issue:

B3310104.JPG

Anyone else get published in a mystery mag?

That he did....That he did. Abel couldn't get respect even in his own mag! But to clarify many readers dialed in with "No more Dominguez". screwy.gif

Gotcha. I have to say I enjoy reading the letter columns much mor now than when I was a kid. I was reading the "House of Secrets SPEAKS" recently in issue 105 where there were letters praising issue 100's cover and story and how Berni Wrightson was the best new artist of the stable and to "chain" him up so he can't get away! What suprised me I guess was how some fans recognized the good artists and writers so early on!

thats really cool sterling! I'll have to dig that issue up & check it out!

The Letter columns are a joy to read these days, I too read about dominguez boredom & "Too many skeletons" There are so many cool insights into what people were liking & hating. Most people HATED all the reprints in the 100 pagers!

I think Dominguez is great and truly underrated. I was a too young to appreciate him while he was working, but I have found a new respect for his work now that I am older. I would love to commission a recreation or piece from him, but so far I cannot find much information concerning his status or whereabouts.

The most disturbing thing I have found is this Comics Journal article mentioning some financial problems he and other out of favor artists are enduring:

TCJ Article

Very reminiscent of elder blues, jazz and rock and roll musicians living their later years on next to nothing. The guys who pave the way usually get lost later on down the line.

I also have gleamed from the ol' intraweb that he did illos for Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer at one point and appeared at a Big Apple convention Sept. 13 and 14 (I am assuming 2003).

Can anyone provide any more information on "LD"? Anyone see him at that convention or work with ACTOR and have an update on him? Is he represented by an agent at this point? Any info would be appreciated by me and I am sure the many other Dominguez fans in this thread.

How could any horror fan not like the man who drew this cover?

war24.jpg

I guess there is no accounting for some people's taste.

cloud9.gif I need to upgrade my bought at a garage sale copy its the childhood reader and scared the bejeezes out of me when I was a kid - of course i read it often for that very reason.

Yeah, LD was really one of the greats who epitomized "BA DC horror", and I don't care what anyone has to say to the contrary (if anyone should be so bold!).

There's one cover in particular that he did; that if the original art should ever come up for sale I would hawk my '57 Chevy Bel Air just to finance the purchase of said (unnamed) cover.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

devil.gif

The Letter columns are a joy to read these days, I too read about dominguez boredom & "Too many skeletons" There are so many cool insights into what people were liking & hating. Most people HATED all the reprints in the 100 pagers!

Was that standard DC practice in all 100 Pagers, or was it localized to just some titles (reprint articles)?

Paging greggy....Paging greggy....

It was super lame. I thought they were going to print my letter, and all I got was one sentence--something to the effect of "Sterling Smith of Raleigh NC thanks us for adding a reader column." foreheadslap.gif

So technically, I didn't get published, although I have now been published in several technical journals (I do computers for a living).

Was that standard DC practice in all 100 Pagers, or was it localized to just some titles (reprint articles)?

Hey Sterling, not sure what you're asking, but if you mean did all the 100 Pagers have reprints, the answer is Yes. The general model was they had 20 pages of new material (just like the concurrent 20 cent books), and 80 pages of ads and reprints. There were some 100 Pagers that were 100% reprints though, even after the 100 Pagers got 'integrated' into the main title numbering. Examples of all-reprint issues that come to mind include Shazam #8 and Superman #272.

On the other hand, one of the few exceptions to the 20-pages-new-material rule is House of Mystery #229, with a 36-page story not previously seen. Of course, it was an inventory story left over from the Gothic/Love experiment (Sinister House of Secret Love, according to the GCD)

Circa 1981. I was 11 years old. I lived in Raleigh NC at the time, and I was reading and collecting all the mystery mags every month. I was thrilled that Ghosts started a letter column, so I wrote a letter to DC. Lo and behold, I received a "care" package a month or so later, with a bunch of cool bronze age mystery mags with a mention that they were going to use my letter. Although they didn't publish my letter, I at least received a mention in this issue:

B3310104.JPG

Anyone else get published in a mystery mag?

Geez, I'm surprised you did not notice Sterling, but guess who else got a letter "mentioned" in this issue.....

none other than Todd McFarlane .... ever heard of him? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course, if any of you had picked up and read issue # 4 of my fanzine, HCR, you would have known this & other DC BA horror titles that Todd fanishly sent letters to. (SHAMELESS PLUG!!!) devil.gif

Edited by precodekeith

Geez, I'm surprised you did not notice Sterling, but guess who else got a letter "mentioned" in this issue.....

none other than Todd McFarlane .... ever heard of him? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course, if any of you had picked up and read issue # 4 of my fanzine, HCR, you would have known this & other DC BA horror titles that Todd fanishly sent letters to. (SHAMELESS PLUG!!!) devil.gif

I was wondering if you would comment. It was cool to read Todd's letters (long-winded as they are). grin.gif

Have you found any more?

Well, it's not Bronze but I did have a letter printed in a Russ Cochran EC reprint. It was in the March 1994 issue of Tales From The Crypt #7. I also had letters printed way back (around the same time) in CBG and the old Overstreet monthly mag. ----Sid

Nothing spectacular about the grade here, I would say VF/VF- but I was thrilled to find a copy that has the whole CCA code and # 88! Every other copy I ever came across has been miss-cut to some extent. Great greytone cover plus I snaged it for $5.00!

649897-HOS%2388.jpg

589a8c29b8122_649897-HOS88.jpg.9fbac1e7335a864bcfc1f05e0ab6d87c.jpg

Nothing spectacular about the grade here, I would say VF/VF- but I was thrilled to find a copy that has the whole CCA code and # 88! Every other copy I ever came across has been miss-cut to some extent. Great greytone cover plus I snaged it for $5.00!

649897-HOS%2388.jpg

Awesome pickup for 5.00 893whatthe.gif That issue is a pain to find without the miss-cut, mine is cut off past the first "8" in the issue number and has distributor overspray to boot....but I only paid 4.00 for mine so cloud9.gif.