• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage Wars Comic book find.

92 posts in this topic

Sometimes he keeps stuff. That figure may have been an "appraised" value.

True. He did that with the coin collection which he said he was giving to his grandchild. But the OP said he sold it for $130k. The egos on these guys trip over each other on one-mannups and finds, so for Darrel not to have jumped on the opportunity to rub it in on a sale that high (highest I've heard any of these guys sell anything) is sounding more like embellishment. b.s. and/or outright lies.

True. He did that with the coin collection which he said he was giving to his grandchild. But the OP said he sold it for $130k. The egos on these guys trip over each other on one-mannups and finds, so for Darrel not to have jumped on the opportunity to rub it in on a sale that high (highest I've heard any of these guys sell anything) is sounding more like embellishment. b.s. and/or outright lies.

It is was in the first episode when they had a small bio of each of the main characters. He said that the find was in the early 90s and they showed picture of him when he looked even more redneck than now. They showed pics of some of the books. Therefore, the sale was around 20 years ago.

It is was in the first episode when they had a small bio of each of the main characters. He said that the find was in the early 90s and they showed picture of him when he looked even more redneck than now. They showed pics of some of the books. Therefore, the sale was around 20 years ago.

It looked like it was definitely a legit find because it was way before these type of shows started airing. The pictures they showed had full marvel runs of virtually every major title. I wonder if having a find of that nature on his resumee was one of the reasons he was cast as one of the people on the show.

No! There was no mention of who bought it from Sheets.

I'm calling b.s. - no different than that box of megos planted in the unit to get the geeks talking about the show.

Was that really planted?

I caught a few discussions on Mego-focused forums about that episode. The word staged was used, but I arrived at the conclusion it was probably dropped-in to get collectors talking. Seriously, it just doesn't add up that anyone who goes to the extent of putting such rare figures in special cases, wouldn't understand that carded figures of the caliber they found are prone to degradation of plastic (yellowing/cracking/blister breaches) by not storing them in a climate controlled unit. These weren't common figures - and two figures alone were in the five digits. To me, that whole situation looked like a farce.

It looked like it was definitely a legit find because it was way before these type of shows started airing. The pictures they showed had full marvel runs of virtually every major title. I wonder if having a find of that nature on his resumee was one of the reasons he was cast as one of the people on the show.

Gotcha. Well, that has got to be a life-changing find, and I could certainly see how it would motivate guys like him to continue doing what he does.

Didn't someone already make a thread about this?

Didn't someone already post this was discussed months ago?

Yup

This was a rerun

I saw it twice..

They were nice books.

X-men 1-10

ASM 1-20 or more

Hulk 1-20 or more

Yup

This was a rerun

I saw it twice..

They were nice books.

X-men 1-10

ASM 1-20 or more

Hulk 1-20 or more

130k 20 years ago is starting sound like a pretty expensive bath.

Anyhow, of the storage auction shows, I prefer auction hunters. It's a totally different dynamic but the two guys in the show look like they really have fun doing what they do.

Yup

This was a rerun

I saw it twice..

They were nice books.

X-men 1-10

ASM 1-20 or more

Hulk 1-20 or more

Anyhow, of the storage auction shows, I prefer auction hunters. It's a totally different dynamic but the two guys in the show look like they really have fun doing what they do.

There were lots more but those where the only ones I could Identify

there were many long boxes of book.

Yup

This was a rerun

I saw it twice..

They were nice books.

X-men 1-10

ASM 1-20 or more

Hulk 1-20 or more

Auction Hunters tells you up front that it's a re-enactment of finds that these two guys have come across over the years. Sometimes I think that's exactly what the Storage Wars show is also....it's a re-enactment and everyone outside of the principal cast are paid extras.

when he talks about the comic books find he makes it clear that he feels like it is his biggest find ever. it was a while back and he had a long mullet hair cut. he also says if he had them now he would be rich.

Yeah, if I had to choose which of the "cast" to hang out with for the day, I'd pick Darell, because I'd like to hear him go into excruciating detail about what was in that find, and then spend the rest of the day beating him up (verbally) on what he could have made if he'd kept the cream of the crop.

Auction hunters is a much better show--those two have chemistry, knowledge, and negotiating skills.

The Storage Wars folks are miserable, mean spirited, sometimes sleazy--the only one that looks like he's having fun is the auctioneer.

when he talks about the comic books find he makes it clear that he feels like it is his biggest find ever. it was a while back and he had a long mullet hair cut. he also says if he had them now he would be rich.

exactly, he said they'd be 7 figures now. And they probably would be incredibly valuable today if they were 130k 20 freaking years ago

I'm calling b.s. - no different than that box of megos planted in the unit to get the geeks talking about the show.

Was that really planted?
I wouldn't doubt it. I know for a fact the repo show and the pawn shop show are fake

Was that really planted?
I wouldn't doubt it. I know for a fact the repo show and the pawn shop show are fake

Which pawn shop show? The repo show has a disclaimer at the beginning.