• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show your three current favourite comics

182 posts in this topic

This is a very interesting thread as it forces people to really think about what is important to them in a comic since only three can be chosen. I'm working on it and have come to the conclusion that a combo of cover, interior art, storyline, overall significance of the issue and personal attachment are all important to me. It seems from the comments that many people are choosing based on cover alone, although I may have misinterpretted this. I'd be interested to know why each of you has selected your issues and therefore what is important to us as collectors.

Mike

for me, cap 1 is simply the most iconic thing in my collection, i'm a timely/marvel guy, AND the movie is out in a couple weeks, and is thus very much on my little pea-brain.

fantastic 3 is my favorite g.a. cover, bar none. also, so very rare.

somehow, jumbo 10 screams g.a. to me like no other book in my collection. i almost put silver streak 1 in at #3, but that would be more cuz of it's financial position in my collection [the pay copy], but i think i love the jumbo 10 more, from a generic standpoint. and it's very yellow, and i love me some yellow books.

Not sure these wouldn't change next week...and to make it easy on me I'll pick one from each of my 3 main GA collecting genres.

Many of the great LB Cole covers are cluttered up a bit with extraneous text and sidebars, etc.,. Not this one!

mask1.jpg

The mid/late WWII Schomburg Timely's are all so good (many are also quite similar, but that's OK by me!), but this and Cap 46 kind of rise above the rest. This one eeks out the Cap, but not by much.

mm46.jpg

I've loved Donald Duck & company since I was little, this one is really a great Barks story and of course is the 1st U$.

fc178.jpg

My top 3, that I own at least, are Don Winslow 15, Marvel Mystery 63 and More Fun 104, primarily because of the great covers. Unfortunately I don't have scans of any of these, must be on my previous computer, so I am using reference scans from the Grand Comics Database which has certainly been a help to me in the past when I've searched for specific issues.

The Don Winslow just always struck me as a great dogfighting cover, the Marvel Mystery was awesome with the Torch and Toro sending Hitler and his flunkies on the run and the More Fun is the first Superboy cover in More Fun and is just very whimsical, as well as being part of the 7th War Loan series of covers that variuos publishers produced in 1945.

113287.jpg.42a8c13ea4ac2c03e56605550c26261d.jpg

113288.jpg.d168960b87bae9f6b4e179069c7b03d0.jpg

113289.jpg.32d59e60cec1a0b8496514ec5bf0574b.jpg

If the books in your sig line are in your collection, I'd say you already are! (worship)
(thumbs u Just one book though .

Just one book...for now! lol

2011the3.jpg

Nobody got the Zip!

bangzoom first hit the WW8 and Pep 34...he was on the right track, but the zip was out of left field...

2011the3.jpg

Nobody got the Zip!

bangzoom first hit the WW8 and Pep 34...he was on the right track, but the zip was out of left field...

I would have guessed Zip 32 over the 22. Why is that one your preferred book?

2011the3.jpg

Nobody got the Zip!

I would have guessed Zip 32 over the 22. Why is that one your preferred book?

very similar to the pep 34 situation...been wanting a copy for while, and I guess the constant hunting for one keeps it fresh on my brain...the cool blue nazi skeleton, etc... I have found multiple zip 32's, and it is my 2nd fav zip, but for today, 22 just "came to mind" sooner (thumbs u