• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

Those Atoms are gorgeous copies. I've always been a fan of the character primarily due to the unparralleled art of Gil Kane. I met him at Comic-Con back in the early ninties. One of the nicest men you'd ever want to meet. He spoke with me at length over lunch at the Wendys restaurant just up the street from the Convention Center. I offered to buy lunch. He would have none of it. He bought me lunch and appreciated the fact that I was and still am a big fan. When I saw the obit in the Los Angeles Times back in 2000 I shed a tear. I've been to temple maybe five or six times over the last twenty years: once for Don Drysdale once for Jack Kirby, once for Yitzhak Rabin, once for John Hartford and once for Gil Kane. May they all RIP.

SLR

That's awesome! Clearly Gil Kane was a class act!

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments in this thread and in PMs!

Continuing on, and I'll try to give a little more history surrounding each book to the extent that my increasingly Alzheimer-afflicted memory permits me:

Atom #13. I think this may have been the first slabbed book that I ever bought from Comiclink, way back in 2000. I always loved the rich deep purple of this cover.

atom13.jpg

Atom #10. From the Sid's Luncheonette collection from our own Harry Burns/Burntboy. I don't know what magic was contained in the dresser drawer where Harry stored his books for decades, but the freshness and sheer richness of the inks was incredible. Once I received this book, I could see why Tom Brulato among others jumped at the chance to pick up many of the Marvels from Harry's collection. This was truly one of the nicest 9.4s I have ever owned, and never really understood why it was "only" a 9.4.

atom10.jpg

To post all the pictures of books I've sold from my private collection the past five years would be too painful a pill to swallow...

I agree. I delete the scans from my server as soon as they are sold. I hate to be reminded.

Tim is a brave, brave man.

What I've owned and sold is chump change compared to what has passed through your collection, Richard.

I just wrapped up the sale of the bulk of my remaining JLAs

boycotting this thread due to this snub

A guy contacted me about buying one of my JLAs, and then it kind of snowballed from there. Anyways, I don't sell at 20% discounts to Guide. :baiting:

But I still have a few left...

Excellent thread, Tim.

I may not be a DC fan but I appreciate great books when I see them. (worship)

Again, thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Continuing on...

Jumping from #10 to Atom #7 (told you that my collection is k-rap in terms of completeness!). One of my very favorite Atom covers, since I'm a big Hawkman fan too. Bought it off eBay way back in 2002 from Comiclink, when they used to sell on eBay.

atom7.jpg

Atom #5. Another book linked with Comiclink (no pun intended), obtained in a trade/cash deal with Josh also in 2002. Here are the other books that I received in the deal: 9.4 JLA #18, 9.6 JLA #23 (PC), 9.6 Aquaman #3, 9.4 GL #11, 9.4 Dr Solar #2 and 9.6 80 Page Giant #9 (which later turned out to be the Green River copy). Unfortunately, for the life of me I can't remember what I traded TO Josh as my older records are pretty good on what I bought/received but on what I got rid of, not so much. I know it was a Marvel (yes, I used to own them too), but no idea which one.

atom5.jpg

Thanks guys. I don't want this to be a monologue, so comments are welcome! If you think some particular book or pedigree that I wax eloquent about is overrated, if you thought I was stupid to make so-and-so purchase, if you want more detail about something, say your piece (in a civil manner, of course)!