• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

I actually saw and held that Aquaman in San Diego! It is an amazing book, what did you do with it?

The Showcase Metal Men was included in a three pack, along with Action 288 and Aquaman 3 if my memory serves me right. I saw an unopened three pak in San Diego maybe ten years ago and the guy opened it in fron of me to sell the Action (think I paid $60). I had it graded and it came out 9.0 because of a slight bit of wear on the right edge, but an otherwise stunning book.

The second book is a Showcase #38, and I guess the theme for today is Steve Lauterbach since this book was purchased from him off eBay, I believe. This is very possibly the nicest 9.8 I've ever owned. It is truly immaculate and the gloss and eye appeal of the red cover is simply amazing.

The Metal Men run in Showcase is incredibly difficult to find in NM or better. #38 is relatively easy compared to the other issues, with the conjecture being that it was included in a 3-pack, but even then it's not super common in NM. showcase38-1.jpg

not conjecture. i had a 3 pack: aquaman #3, showcase #38 and adventure #286. unreal, didn't even know that existed in 9.8

According to Ronnie, the book came from a little old Chinese lady in Millbrae, California, who was also the source of some amazing early Flash which I'll be posting soon.

Soon after I got back into collecting in 2000, I met Ron for the first time at a local convention and commented on several of the beautiful raw books he had for sale...he mentioned that he purchased them from an old woman in Millbrae, and this is the first time I've heard mention of his "source" since then...

Great thread so far...keep those awesome books coming! :applause:

I actually saw and held that Aquaman in San Diego! It is an amazing book, what did you do with it?

The Showcase Metal Men was included in a three pack, along with Action 288 and Aquaman 3 if my memory serves me right. I saw an unopened three pak in San Diego maybe ten years ago and the guy opened it in fron of me to sell the Action (think I paid $60). I had it graded and it came out 9.0 because of a slight bit of wear on the right edge, but an otherwise stunning book.

Thanks for the corroboration from Silver and Paperheart on the 3-pack. What's really interesting, then, is how Aquaman #3 towers above the other 2 in the number of high grade copies in the Census. And, as it turns out, Showcase #38 is much more plentiful in NM than I'd realized (probably because I stopped looking for the book once I acquired a 9.8 copy).

In the current census:

Action #288 has 5 in 9.4, 6 in 9.2, so it's actually the least common of the 3

Aquaman #3 is common as dirt with 1 in 9.8, 6 in 9.6, 9 in 9.4 and 7 in 9.2.

Showcase #38 has 1 in 9.8, 1 in 9.6, 6 in 9.4 and 6 in 9.2.

It is indeed a gorgeous book. It now resides somewhere in England.

Thanks for the corroboration from Silver and Paperheart on the 3-pack. What's really interesting, then, is how Aquaman #3 towers above the other 2 in the number of high grade copies in the Census. And, as it turns out, Showcase #38 is much more plentiful in NM than I'd realized (probably because I stopped looking for the book once I acquired a 9.8 copy).

In the current census:

:banana:

In the current census:

I (used to) spit on your 9.6! :baiting:

In the current census:

I (used to) spit on your 9.6! :baiting:

Hopefully it was already slabbed by then. :eek:

The Showcase Metal Men was included in a three pack, along with Action 288 and Aquaman 3 if my memory serves me right. I saw an unopened three pak in San Diego maybe ten years ago and the guy opened it in fron of me to sell the Action (think I paid $60).

Agggghhhhh!!! You should have bought the whole three pack then! I couldn't watch a three pack being destroyed like that.

:o

Back from a business trip.

Found another Aquaman scan in an external drive. The second book I ever bought from Mark Wilson (the first was an Aquaman #7). One of the more interesting things I've found in collecting Aquaman is that it's generally easier to find Aquaman 1-10 in NM or above (with the exception of the exceptionally difficult #2) than 11-20. And then it gets real easy after that.

aquaman4.jpg

The next title we'll be showing is Flash, which we'll start off with a beautiful 80 Page Giant #9. As mentioned earlier, I picked this up in a big trade with Josh Nathanson, and it was later identified by Green River expert Brad Hamann/Redhook as a Green River copy. Very bright, white book--everything the GRs are reputed to be.

80Page9.jpg

The next title we'll be showing is Flash, which we'll start off with a beautiful 80 Page Giant #9. As mentioned earlier, I picked this up in a big trade with Josh Nathanson, and it was later identified by Green River expert Brad Hamann/Redhook as a Green River copy. Very bright, white book--everything the GRs are reputed to be.

80Page9.jpg

Wow! That GR is sweet.

I noticed RH has a 9.2 catalogued on his site, but not this copy.

Dude is slackin'.

lol

80Page9.jpg

Wow! That GR is sweet.

Dude is slackin'.

lol

Brad's copy would have graded higher, but it has a bullet hole in it :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

80Page9.jpg

Wow! That GR is sweet.

Dude is slackin'.

lol

Brad's copy would have graded higher, but it has a bullet hole in it :baiting: GOD BLESS...

hey... Hey... HEY!

Watch those sarcastic comments, Jimbo.

You laugh now but cry later when Bullet Hole copies command a market premium! :banana:

80Page9.jpg

Wow! That GR is sweet.

Dude is slackin'.

lol

hey... Hey... HEY!

Watch those sarcastic comments, Jimbo.

You laugh now but cry later when Bullet Hole copies command a market premium! :banana:

I would LOVE to have one :insane: especially if itdoesn't affect the story lol GOD BLESS....

-jmbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

One of the more interesting things I've found in collecting Aquaman is that it's generally easier to find Aquaman 1-10 in NM or above (with the exception of the exceptionally difficult #2) than 11-20. And then it gets real easy after that.

Aquaman 2 is indeed super difficult in high grade. It took me several more years to find a really nice one after I'd completed the rest of the run. And I've found that #2 issues are typically tougher to find than #1 issues for most titles.

:preach:

80Page9.jpg

Tim -- Has this book been relabeled as a GR? I know that the GR pedigree has multiples of many giant size books and annuals, so not surprising that this slipped through the cracks.