• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry's Comics at it again...

509 posts in this topic

yes, i was hoping you'd correct me in red, but you didn't i feel less important now.

As well you should.

true, but one censoring their true feeelings to placate the masses is just plain wrong. and huge only has one u in it. :baiting:

It was for dramatic literary effect. But why should a writer know anything about that? :baiting:

yes he is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but you have to admit, he is not one to hold back his own misguided thoughts and feelings. which more people should do to show their true colors.

So, the fact that he speaks whatever misguided fart of a thought passes through his noggin, he should be given some sort of "honesty" award? Dude, come on.

yes he is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but you have to admit, he is not one to hold back his own misguided thoughts and feelings. which more people should do to show their true colors.

So, the fact that he speaks whatever misguided fart of a thought passes through his noggin, he should be given some sort of "honesty" award? Dude, come on.

no, not saying that at all. now that he has labeled himself a racist, doesn't it make it easier to not deal with him? because he freely spoke his mind?

i could care less, more people should start to speak their minds instead of being so afraid of political correctness that stymies independent though regardless if it is right or wrong.

What's your point? He can speak his little mind all he wants, and everyone else can speak their minds by bashing him for spouting garbage. It goes both ways. He doesn't get protection from criticism for "speaking his mind", regardless of the fact that he has the right to do so.

i didn't say that the people who have posted against what he said shouldn't, i'm taking the whole "let him say what he wants to allow people to see what a pile he is"

i don't think he should have deleted the tweets since there is someone out there who may buy from him in the future and will never know he said those things. also the tweets should stay out there due to being a statement of how he views others from an anti-censorship side.

he is who he is, he has shown all of us another side of him that will make it easier to judge him since he himself said it.

simple.

i do not condone racism in any form, i do condone freedom of speech regardless if it is positive or negative. if someone wants to say something that will upset someone else, go ahead, they NEED to say it.

as for tj, you my huggy bear

people say stupid things all the time, sometimes for personal reasons and others just to be outlandish to give more exposure for their business, this is no exception. he is a business man who thrives on offending people to drum up business. these things happen. if you are offended by him don't buy from him. it is that simple.

i could care less, more people should start to speak their minds instead of being so afraid of political correctness that stymies independent though regardless if it is right or wrong.

Political Correctness is oversensitivity to statements and actions not intended to harm, insult or degrade. Political Correctness is not attacking someone making intentionally racist and harmful remarks.

this is one argument that we will not agree on.

look at it this way, regardless of the doosh remarks he's made in the past, none have crossed into racist remarks like those, now do you feel better knowing what a total dbag he is now that he really spoke his mind or would you feel better if he hadn't and possibly worked with him in the future? that is what i am saying. good or bad, he has shown how insensitive he is towards other races. does that solidify your unwillingness to not buy from him?

Clearly. That was Publius's idea in 1787. That's why it ultimately ended up being our first amendment and still does not change the fact that this guy is a racist azzhole. (shrug)

Also, his shi**ty variants are why I don't buy from him, his pathetic rants only serve to validate everyone's negative opinion.

Yes, he does have the right to say those things even if they offend or are incorrect. Just like I have the right to ignore him. I do know that most people would never say anything inappropriate like what he did.

Yes, he does have the right to say those things even if they offend or are incorrect. Just like I have the right to ignore him. I do know that most people would never say anything inappropriate like what he did.

I have the right to call you Rodney.

First of all, it's "couldn't care less," dingus.

Second of all, there is a HUUUGE difference between speaking one's mind and being a complete maroon. (Larry was doing the latter.)

Third of all, no one should paint Larry's comments with a brush of roguish, anti-political correctness and wit. It gives him way to much credit.

+1

WAY too much credit.

This wasn't the private rantings of some brilliant satirist. It was the PUBLIC rantings of an insensitive bigot.

The kinds of stereotypes he used are the same kinds of things people think and say who would LYNCH and MURDER blacks in the south, less than 50 YEARS ago.

The actions that took place behind those kind of thoughts isn't funny. It's one of the most embarrassing parts of American history.

And the idea that he was being controversial to drum up business is absurd.

He'll lose business and respect over this from more than just African-Americans.

And I have the right to call you vinegar tits.

Hello stranger. :luhv:

people say stupid things all the time, sometimes for personal reasons and others just to be outlandish to give more exposure for their business, this is no exception. he is a business man who thrives on offending people to drum up business. these things happen. if you are offended by him don't buy from him. it is that simple.

Political Correctness is oversensitivity to statements and actions not intended to harm, insult or degrade. Political Correctness is not attacking someone making intentionally racist and harmful remarks.

Wouldn't the world be such a better place if people didn't react to generic comments based on something as arbitrary as gender, or skin color, or ethnicity...?

Call someone an idjit because they, personally, are an idjit, fine. But to react because someone made fun of my race..? How terribly lazy and amatuer of them, and incredibly immature of me.

When people stop being offended by words, words will no longer be offensive. Being offended because someone made fun of you about something over which you have no control is really quite silly.

Wouldn't the world be such a better place if people didn't react to generic comments based on something as arbitrary as gender, or skin color, or ethnicity...?

Call someone an idjit because they, personally, are an idjit, fine. But to react because someone made fun of my race..? How terribly lazy and amatuer of them, and incredibly immature of me.

When people stop being offended by words, words will no longer be offensive. Being offended because someone made fun of you about something over which you have no control is really quite silly.

what? we agree on something? kind of?

When we stop being offended by words, words will stop being offensive.

This is a slight oversimplication.

Words are tethered to their connotations with slightly more depth.

Nevertheless, it remains true.

"You stupid cracker!" <---generally a racist comment.

Yeah?

And?

How does that hurt me? Yes, I am, in fact, a person of European extraction.

And....?

Tell me why I should be offended by that. Tell me what I have to gain by getting upset over someone trying to insult my race. Did I choose my race? No. Did I have anything to do with it? No. Is my race in ANY WAY connected to anything over which I have control? No. So, why should I be offended?

Now, say something like "RMA wouldn't know a logical argument if it hit him over the head with a 5' baseball bat", and I might be offended. That's PERSONAL.

But my race? Please. That's like being offended because I have 10 toes, and someone calls me "Hey, Toey Guy! Yeah, that's right, you 10 toed freak of nature!"

Yeah?

And?

And....?

Tell me why I should be offended by that.

i always call myself a saltine...that can't dance.

lol Funniest post of the thread. ^^

what? we agree on something? kind of?

Shocking, innit?

Yeah?

And?

And....?

Tell me why I should be offended by that. Tell me what I have to gain by getting upset over someone trying to insult my race. Did I choose my race? No. Did I have anything to do with it? No. Is my race in ANY WAY connected to anything over which I have control? No. So, why should I be offended?

Now, say something like "RMA wouldn't know a logical argument if it hit him over the head with a 5' baseball bat", and I might be offended. That's PERSONAL.

But my race? Please. That's like being offended because I have 10 toes, and someone calls me "Hey, Toey Guy! Yeah, that's right, you 10 toed freak of nature!"

Well normally being called a 'cracker' doesn't really bother me, though working on the East Side from St. Louis, situations have arisen where I've been the only white guy around and have heard it said. Its a bit more of an uncomfortable feeling then.

Still. I have no idea what it's like to go through life everyday and be pre-judged in a negative light simply by the color of my skin.

I would think, one of the things that keeps those thoughts in people's heads are the reiteration of remarks like the one's made by Larry.

Yes, it would be nice if we lived in a world where it didn't matter to anyone.

Unfortunately we still live in a world where it does.

While I tend to agree with the "stick and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" stuff which seems to be what some of you (RMA and Deafmutecomics) seem to be saying...

We are talking about a race of people who were made to be slaves in the United States of America. When an azzhat like Larry makes comments like he did that goes way beyond just being hurtful words. It conjures up the kind of hatred and racism that caused African Americans to be killed. When statements are made like what Larry tweeted...while it may seem silly to get upset I understand how it can be hurtful and bring up feelings that go beyond just words.

As a Jewish person I also can understand when someone makes a derogatory comment I get upset. It doesn't matter that they are just words. It's the unknown actions that usually accompany the words that I think about and how others of my same beliefs suffered by people who said such things.

Just remember, hurtful words are exactly how hate groups start and build. Someone starts spewing hate (just words) and others join in...It starts with words then leads to other actions that aren't as benign.

My 2 cents.