• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry's Comics at it again...

509 posts in this topic

He used big lipped, fried chicken eating and the N-word in a 1 sentence tweet. How in the hell is that "veiled" ???

Yeah.....there is no way this "joke" could be misunderstood. The first one could maybe be excused away.

The last one, not so much. My friend told me a similar "joke" that basically ended with the N-word.

He couldn't understand why I found it offensive. Whether it's ignorance or stupidity, it is just wrong.

I also find it disturbing that Larry thinks the only reason Ben Riley (a character who already became an iteration of Spiderman) could be chosen is BECAUSE he's black. doh!

He has a store in Massachusetts. His humor has always been, shall we say, cutting edge and at times can be rather scalding. I've always liked the guy.

He did tweet an apology. You can go read the time line on twitter and see it. I have only had great dealings with Larry, he has always been pleasant and very personable. I also understand others may have had different dealings, and your entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else is even if you don't like it or agree with it.

It seems only people with Watson in their name like this fool.

I don't know who the other guy is, and yeah, I like Larry. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he posts.

If you are insinuating something with your post, then I suggest you get your ducks in a row before hand.

I can assure who ever needs assuring I don't know dr Watson in any way shape or form. I like Larry, I go to his store a few times a month and the monthly show he runs is 5 minutes from my house so I always go to that. I actually wish more dealers around here were like him, he is always trying to get people into comics and you can tell he actually loves them. Again this is my opinion based off of my experiences with him.

Larry already proved himself to be one of the world's biggest dongs over in Modern some time ago. This is no surprise and merely hammers the fact home. At least this time he's had the decency to show it to the masses.

Okay, I'm black - or as my fiancee likes to say "stealth black" since i'm mixed or a "bi-racial angel" like Derek Jeter... lol but for all intents and purposes society considers me Black.

Anyway, because I'm tan people don't notice I'm black or think I'm Hispanic so I can tell you firsthand racism is alive and well in the United States of America. I can't tell you how many times someone has gotten caught making an offhand racist comment or dropping the "n" around me... followed by "Sorry, I didn't know".

Larry's first tweet was offensive, the second one was downright racist and inexcusable. He gets what he deserves for making the remarks. If he gets shunned by his peers and customers so be it.

No apologists necessary.

Okay, I'm black - or as my fiancee likes to say "stealth black" since i'm mixed or a "bi-racial angel" like Derek Jeter... lol but for all intents and purposes society considers me Black.

Anyway, because I'm tan people don't notice I'm black or think I'm Hispanic so I can tell you firsthand racism is alive and well in the United States of America. I can't tell you how many times someone has gotten caught making an offhand racist comment or dropping the "n" around me... followed by "Sorry, I didn't know".

Larry's first tweet was offensive, the second one was downright racist and inexcusable. He gets what he deserves for making the remarks. If he gets shunned by his peers and customers so be it.

No apologists necessary.

Wait a minute, you're half black?

I had no idea that, when we're together, we make one whole black person (thumbs u

When we stop being offended by words, words will stop being offensive.

+1

i am latino and i cant tell you how many racial jokes get thrown my way daily. i dont mind them at all, but cmon be creative with them.

True..but seriously, it gets old man. Wit should be spontaneous

More than three seconds= :whatev:

He used big lipped, fried chicken eating and the N-word in a 1 sentence tweet. How in the hell is that "veiled" ???

Yeah.....there is no way this "joke" could be misunderstood. The first one could maybe be excused away.

The last one, not so much. My friend told me a similar "joke" that basically ended with the N-word.

He couldn't understand why I found it offensive. Whether it's ignorance or stupidity, it is just wrong.

I also find it disturbing that Larry thinks the only reason Ben Riley a black character could be chosen is BECAUSE he's black. doh!

Update! The new ultimate spidey is

a half-black, half-Hispanic teen named Miles Morales.

:cloud9:

If someone spews that racist mess, veiled as a joke, in a public forum to his customers who pay his bills, what does he say and think in his living room?

Pathetic and I'm glad to see there are so many people on here who find that behavior nothing more than a quirky affect. He continues to act in this manner because everyone pretends it's ok. It's not, he's an azzhole, and that blatant prejudice should not be tolerated. Apologizing doesn't make everything ok.

He has a store in Massachusetts. His humor has always been, shall we say, cutting edge and at times can be rather scalding. I've always liked the guy.

He did tweet an apology. You can go read the time line on twitter and see it. I have only had great dealings with Larry, he has always been pleasant and very personable. I also understand others may have had different dealings, and your entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else is even if you don't like it or agree with it.

I don't know who the other guy is, and yeah, I like Larry. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he posts.

If you are insinuating something with your post, then I suggest you get your ducks in a row before hand.

I can assure who ever needs assuring I don't know dr Watson in any way shape or form. I like Larry, I go to his store a few times a month and the monthly show he runs is 5 minutes from my house so I always go to that. I actually wish more dealers around here were like him, he is always trying to get people into comics and you can tell he actually loves them. Again this is my opinion based off of my experiences with him.

You obviously haven't read Larry's posts here (or read them before the Mods deleted them) but this is not an isolated incident. Thank god more dealers are not like him, we don't need more retarded variant speculators in the hobby.

Guy sounds like a complete tool. I won't ever buy from such a person.

Jesus Christ Americans are so uptight! The guys a bit of an insufficiently_thoughtful_person but geez.... Is it worth the thread?

Absolutely. It helps us determine who to avoid when buying comics, and this guy desreves all the negative publicity he gets. Threads like this make the hobby better.

"A bit of an idiot" is an understatement.

You both have Watson in your name and said you like this guy...that's what I stated. I didn't insinuate anything other than that observation.

I suggest you get your ducks in a row and reconsider who you think are good people/dealers.

+1

i am latino and i cant tell you how many racial jokes get thrown my way daily. i dont mind them at all, but cmon be creative with them.

Likewise I've been around many myself, and even told them. I'm of the mind that if we can laugh at stereotypes then those stereotypes lose their power. However, I recognize and respect the fact that others don't feel stereotypes are ever a laughing matter, which is why I don't just fling off color jokes around people I don't know - certainly not on a public tweet.

I can't say I know 100% that Larry is a racist. It could be that (like me) he has a very un-PC sense of humor and he exercised poor judgment on the time and place he expressed it, but if that's the case he should have given a real apology.