• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry's Comics at it again...

509 posts in this topic

While I tend to agree with the "stick and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" stuff which seems to be what some of you (RMA and Deafmutecomics) seem to be saying...

We are talking about a race of people who were made to be slaves in the United States of America.

Absolute nonsense. Total nonsense. People weren't enslaved because they were black. They were enslaved because neighboring people (most of which were the same color) in Africa conquered them and sold them into slavery. The Muslim slave traders expertly facilitated the deal. It wouldn't have mattered if they were black, brown, yellow, red, purple, or polka dot.

Not all blacks were slaves, and not all slaves were black. The Chinese were slaves in the US. The Irish were slaves in the US. The assistant Engraver at the US Mint under Robert Scot, John Reich, sold himself into slavery (indentured servitude) to make a better life for himself in the US.

To say that "a race of people were made to be slaves (by virtue of their race)" is completely ignorant of history, and utterly disregards the thousands of free men and women, of all races, who lived in the US. People were made to be slaves because there were other people willing to enslave them, period.

When an azzhat like Larry makes comments like he did that goes way beyond just being hurtful words. It conjures up the kind of hatred and racism that caused African Americans to be killed. When statements are made like what Larry tweeted...while it may seem silly to get upset I understand how it can be hurtful and bring up feelings that go beyond just words.

As a Jewish person I also can understand when someone makes a derogatory comment I get upset. It doesn't matter that they are just words. It's the unknown actions that usually accompany the words that I think about and how others of my same beliefs suffered by people who said such things.

Just remember, hurtful words are exactly how hate groups start and build. Someone starts spewing hate (just words) and others join in...It starts with words then leads to other actions that aren't as benign.

My 2 cents.

I guarantee you, attempting to squelch someone's expression by this overemotional type of handwringing will lead to far, far more resentment amongst those already inclined to it in the first place. That there are entire groups of people who, by implication, are much, much too delicate to handle what someone may say about their group (while utterly ignoring the fact that they are, rather, individuals who happen to belong to that group through no choice or fault of their own) just creates and maintains the undercurrent of resentment that ACTUALLY causes what you describe above.

If those people...whoever they are...just laughed at whomever was saying it, it would lose all its power.

Unfortunately, the race baiters in this country make a living off of ensuring that everyone "take offense."

That's your opinion RMA.

We don't see eye to eye on it clearly.

Opinions based on an incorrect and incomplete knowledge of history aren't very valid opinions.

When you say things like "Just remember, hurtful words are exactly how hate groups start and build", you betray a fundamental misunderstanding of history AND social interaction.

"Yo, get out of my way, N*****" has NEVER been the start of any hate group, ever. Fistfights, brawls maybe, but not "hate groups."

There is a massive, colossal, fundamental difference between racial epithets and "Gee, Fred, I really can't stand the hispanics in our community. We really need to do something to drive them out."

It is starting to get quasi political up in this piece, I smell lockage.

When you can actually start to smell the thread the end is nigh.

That's your opinion RMA.

We don't see eye to eye on it clearly.

Opinions based on an incorrect and incomplete knowledge of history aren't very valid opinions.

When you say things like "Just remember, hurtful words are exactly how hate groups start and build", you betray a fundamental misunderstanding of history AND social interaction.

"Yo, get out of my way, N*****" has NEVER been the start of any hate group, ever. Fistfights, brawls maybe, but not "hate groups."

There is a massive, colossal, fundamental difference between racial epithets and "Gee, Fred, I really can't stand the hispanics in our community. We really need to do something to drive them out."

This is one argument I am not getting roped into. Whatever you say...

Have a great day. (thumbs u

I must say, RMA's posts make me think. I like that.

I think the undercurrent of what the hate-speech or stereotyping words mean to the person saying them and how they paint entire groups of people in public perception are the real problems and not the words themselves.

It may seem trivial to most folks but if your ethnic group tended to bring about images of plumbers in matching overalls and giant mustaches, or "dats a spicey meat-a ball" or "bada boom bada bing" without a peep from the folks that get their undies wadded at a color, age, or preference joke it will have an affect over how people perceive you as a person, even if only subconsciously.

This one may make you laugh, but think about it. No one gives a shart about what Nintendo did with the Mario Brothers, they made BILLIONS off of a stereotyped image...what if they were "Stepin Fetchit" characters instead?, or what if it was an American game company that used horrible asian stereotypes for their signature platform game for decades?

If no one speaks out when the words are spoken, when the words are accepted, the words become ubiquitous, people think there's nothing wrong with the stereotype that comes with the words.

The words may lose their power on the individual person, but without a counterpoint or pressure back on those words people, in their laziness, will let the stereotype leak back into their consciousness. That hardest thing to do in the world is judge each person you meet or see as an individual and not round off the corners and make generalizations, take away the stigma and human laziness will take over.

I must say, RMA's posts make me think. I like that.

I think the undercurrent of what the hate-speech or stereotyping words mean to the person saying them and how they paint entire groups of people in public perception are the real problems and not the words themselves.

It may seem trivial to most folks but if your ethnic group tended to bring about images of plumbers in matching overalls and giant mustaches, or "dats a spicey meat-a ball" or "bada boom bada bing" without a peep from the folks that get their undies wadded at a color, age, or preference joke it will have an affect over how people perceive you as a person, even if only subconsciously.

This one may make you laugh, but think about it. No one gives a shart about what Nintendo did with the Mario Brothers, they made BILLIONS off of a stereotyped image...what if they were "Stepin Fetchit" characters instead?, or what if it was an American game company that used horrible asian stereotypes for their signature platform game for decades?

If no one speaks out when the words are spoken, when the words are accepted, the words become ubiquitous, people think there's nothing wrong with the stereotype that comes with the words.

The words may lose their power on the individual person, but without a counterpoint or pressure back on those words people, in their laziness, will let the stereotype leak back into their consciousness. That hardest thing to do in the world is judge each person you meet or see as an individual and not round off the corners and make generalizations, take away the stigma and human laziness will take over.

well said

While I tend to agree with the "stick and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" stuff which seems to be what some of you (RMA and Deafmutecomics) seem to be saying...

We are talking about a race of people who were made to be slaves in the United States of America.

Absolute nonsense. Total nonsense. People weren't enslaved because they were black. They were enslaved because neighboring people (most of which were the same color) in Africa conquered them and sold them into slavery. The Muslim slave traders expertly facilitated the deal. It wouldn't have mattered if they were black, brown, yellow, red, purple, or polka dot.

Not all blacks were slaves, and not all slaves were black. The Chinese were slaves in the US. The Irish were slaves in the US. The assistant Engraver at the US Mint under Robert Scot, John Reich, sold himself into slavery (indentured servitude) to make a better life for himself in the US.

To say that "a race of people were made to be slaves (by virtue of their race)" is completely ignorant of history, and utterly disregards the thousands of free men and women, of all races, who lived in the US. People were made to be slaves because there were other people willing to enslave them, period.

When an azzhat like Larry makes comments like he did that goes way beyond just being hurtful words. It conjures up the kind of hatred and racism that caused African Americans to be killed. When statements are made like what Larry tweeted...while it may seem silly to get upset I understand how it can be hurtful and bring up feelings that go beyond just words.

As a Jewish person I also can understand when someone makes a derogatory comment I get upset. It doesn't matter that they are just words. It's the unknown actions that usually accompany the words that I think about and how others of my same beliefs suffered by people who said such things.

Just remember, hurtful words are exactly how hate groups start and build. Someone starts spewing hate (just words) and others join in...It starts with words then leads to other actions that aren't as benign.

My 2 cents.

I guarantee you, attempting to squelch someone's expression by this overemotional type of handwringing will lead to far, far more resentment amongst those already inclined to it in the first place. That there are entire groups of people who, by implication, are much, much too delicate to handle what someone may say about their group (while utterly ignoring the fact that they are, rather, individuals who happen to belong to that group through no choice or fault of their own) just creates and maintains the undercurrent of resentment that ACTUALLY causes what you describe above.

If those people...whoever they are...just laughed at whomever was saying it, it would lose all its power.

Unfortunately, the race baiters in this country make a living off of ensuring that everyone "take offense."

1099046-1310090722-fklog.gif1099046-1310090722-fklog.gif1099046-1310090722-fklog.gif

i do condone freedom of speech regardless if it is positive or negative. if someone wants to say something that will upset someone else, go ahead, they NEED to say it.

The issue of "freedom of speech" is a non-sequitur that seems to come up whenever anybody gets flack for saying something rude or foolish.

Unless somebody around here is claiming another person should be denied his ability to communicate, via actual censorship or pre-emptive censorship (especially as could be enacted through the government), then "freedom of speech" has no relevance to the conversation.

"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "freedom from the consequences of speech."

People seem to get really, really confused about this distinction.

i do condone freedom of speech regardless if it is positive or negative. if someone wants to say something that will upset someone else, go ahead, they NEED to say it.

The issue of "freedom of speech" is a non-sequitur that seems to come up whenever anybody gets flack for saying something rude or foolish.

Unless somebody around here is claiming another person should be denied his ability to communicate, via actual censorship or pre-emptive censorship (especially as could be enacted through the government), then "freedom of speech" has no relevance to the conversation.

"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "freedom from the consequences of speech."

People seem to get really, really confused about this distinction.

self censorship since he deleted the tweets. i don't feel he should have. he has every right to speak what was on his mind, but he chose to be less a man (even less than berate a whole segment of the population) and remove the tweets.

if you are going to say it, own up to it and deal with the fallout.

and mark 1 and everyone who brought up slavery and everything...the images that lardoosh brought up were of the stereotypes of the last century, both can be found in books from the 40's & 50's. again not defending lardoosh, but he never insinuated slavery in any way.

every tell a polack joke? i have and i am a polack. so what? i'm portugese, heard any good wetback jokes? i have because i am one, to offend me is to say nothing.

No one can presume to tell anyone what they do or do not find offensive, especially when said comments are directed at a certain group.

It's easy to say that comments like these shouldn't cause such reactions, when you don't belong to said group. Simple fact, whether we like it or not, certain slurs or stereotypes carry more weight than others for whatever reason.

Ignorance, stupidity, and rudeness will cause a reaction no matter what the subject is.

One comedian said it best, "If Eminem won't say it, neither should you"

When we stop being offended by words, words will stop being offensive.

Hey, I belong to the last ethnic group that it is acceptable and encouraged to be offensive towards. Thanks to Tony Soprano, My Cousin Vinnie, and Tony Micelli that's never going to change it seems.

You're Arab?

He has a store in Massachusetts. His humor has always been, shall we say, cutting edge and at times can be rather scalding. I've always liked the guy.

He did tweet an apology. You can go read the time line on twitter and see it. I have only had great dealings with Larry, he has always been pleasant and very personable. I also understand others may have had different dealings, and your entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else is even if you don't like it or agree with it.

It seems only people with Watson in their name like this fool.

I don't know who the other guy is, and yeah, I like Larry. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he posts.

If you are insinuating something with your post, then I suggest you get your ducks in a row before hand.

You both have Watson in your name and said you like this guy...that's what I stated. I didn't insinuate anything other than that observation.

I suggest you get your ducks in a row and reconsider who you think are good people/dealers.

I suggest you should shove your ducks up your arse before telling other people what they should think.

I suggest you give your ducks a good washing before eating them

i could care less, more people should start to speak their minds instead of being so afraid of political correctness that stymies independent though regardless if it is right or wrong.

What's your point? He can speak his little mind all he wants, and everyone else can speak their minds by bashing him for spouting garbage. It goes both ways. He doesn't get protection from criticism for "speaking his mind", regardless of the fact that he has the right to do so.

i didn't say that the people who have posted against what he said shouldn't, i'm taking the whole "let him say what he wants to allow people to see what a pile he is"

i don't think he should have deleted the tweets since there is someone out there who may buy from him in the future and will never know he said those things. also the tweets should stay out there due to being a statement of how he views others from an anti-censorship side.

he is who he is, he has shown all of us another side of him that will make it easier to judge him since he himself said it.

simple.

i do not condone racism in any form, i do condone freedom of speech regardless if it is positive or negative. if someone wants to say something that will upset someone else, go ahead, they NEED to say it.

as for tj, you my huggy bear

Sure, I condone freedom of speech too. All of us expressing our opinion that Larry is a pile of mess is freedom of speech on our behalf. He's allowed to say what he did, we're allowed to judge him for it. That's the way freedom of speech goes. Nobody is censoring Larry.

Well it is America and we do have a certain level of freedom of speech. He didn't attack anyone one person directly and we can't pass laws to cover every insufficiently_thoughtful_person opinion and comment...

People shouldn't get to wound up about retards like this, we will never be rid of them no matter how hard we try. All we can do is strive to take personal responsibility to be better than this.

I will also add Larry is a complete and him going out of business would be the single greatest benefit to the comic industry since Action Comics #1!!!