• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry's Comics at it again...

509 posts in this topic

When we stop being offended by words, words will stop being offensive.

This is a slight oversimplication.

Words are tethered to their connotations with slightly more depth.

Nevertheless, it remains true.

"You stupid cracker!" <---generally a racist comment.

Yeah?

And?

How does that hurt me?

If it was said to your grandmother as she was spit on for walking on the sidewalk, or to your ancestors as they were beaten and sold as livestock, hung from trees, tarred and feathered, and more recently denied residence outside a predefined area, then it might hurt a little more.

Hey, I belong to the last ethnic group that it is acceptable and encouraged to be offensive towards. Thanks to Tony Soprano, My Cousin Vinnie, and Tony Micelli that's never going to change it seems.

You're Arab?

Close....SCOTTISH!!

That's your opinion RMA.

We don't see eye to eye on it clearly.

Opinions based on an incorrect and incomplete knowledge of history aren't very valid opinions.

When you say things like "Just remember, hurtful words are exactly how hate groups start and build", you betray a fundamental misunderstanding of history AND social interaction.

"Yo, get out of my way, N*****" has NEVER been the start of any hate group, ever. Fistfights, brawls maybe, but not "hate groups."

There is a massive, colossal, fundamental difference between racial epithets and "Gee, Fred, I really can't stand the hispanics in our community. We really need to do something to drive them out."

This is one argument I am not getting roped into. Whatever you say...

Have a great day. (thumbs u

I appreciate the "can't stand the heat, getting out of the kitchen" concession.

Remember, no one is ever "roped into" an argument against their will, and it's important to not publicly make position statements that one is unwilling to defend. But I understand if you'd rather not. I certainly wouldn't want to argue with me.

:)

That's your opinion RMA.

Opinions based on an incorrect and incomplete knowledge of history aren't very valid opinions.

When you say things like "Just remember, hurtful words are exactly how hate groups start and build", you betray a fundamental misunderstanding of history AND social interaction.

"Yo, get out of my way, N*****" has NEVER been the start of any hate group, ever. Fistfights, brawls maybe, but not "hate groups."

There is a massive, colossal, fundamental difference between racial epithets and "Gee, Fred, I really can't stand the hispanics in our community. We really need to do something to drive them out."

Remember, no one is ever "roped into" an argument against their will, and it's important to not publicly make position statements that one is unwilling to defend. But I understand if you'd rather not. I certainly wouldn't want to argue with me.

TO THE PAIN!!!!

I must say, RMA's posts make me think. I like that.

I think the undercurrent of what the hate-speech or stereotyping words mean to the person saying them and how they paint entire groups of people in public perception are the real problems and not the words themselves.

It may seem trivial to most folks but if your ethnic group tended to bring about images of plumbers in matching overalls and giant mustaches, or "dats a spicey meat-a ball" or "bada boom bada bing" without a peep from the folks that get their undies wadded at a color, age, or preference joke it will have an affect over how people perceive you as a person, even if only subconsciously.

This one may make you laugh, but think about it. No one gives a shart about what Nintendo did with the Mario Brothers, they made BILLIONS off of a stereotyped image...what if they were "Stepin Fetchit" characters instead?, or what if it was an American game company that used horrible asian stereotypes for their signature platform game for decades?

If no one speaks out when the words are spoken, when the words are accepted, the words become ubiquitous, people think there's nothing wrong with the stereotype that comes with the words.

The words may lose their power on the individual person, but without a counterpoint or pressure back on those words people, in their laziness, will let the stereotype leak back into their consciousness. That hardest thing to do in the world is judge each person you meet or see as an individual and not round off the corners and make generalizations, take away the stigma and human laziness will take over.

God, I love Italians. I really, really do. I admit I'm totally prejudiced for them.

:luhv:

That's your opinion RMA.

TO THE PAIN!!!!

:blush:

Yeah?

And?

How does that hurt me?

If it was said to your grandmother as she was spit on for walking on the sidewalk, or to your ancestors as they were beaten and sold as livestock, hung from trees, tarred and feathered, and more recently denied residence outside a predefined area, then it might hurt a little more.

Notice the emphases.

It is not the words that are the problem.

No one can presume to tell anyone what they do or do not find offensive,

I'm not sure where anybody in this thread said any such thing.

Can you point me to a specific post?

especially when said comments are directed at a certain group.

It's easy to say that comments like these shouldn't cause such reactions, when you don't belong to said group. Simple fact, whether we like it or not, certain slurs or stereotypes carry more weight than others for whatever reason.

Or, we could just grow up as a people and stop letting words bother us, regardless of who we are, and not claim victim status because "you just don't understand."

EVERYBODY on the planet belongs to some group that someone else from another group likes to make fun of. It doesn't matter if you're black, white, brown, yellow, red, green, Irish, English, Iraqi, Texan, short, tall, bald, red-headed, or handicapped.

Sorry, but the "you just don't understand, because you don't belong to X group" falls on deaf ears. If we're human, we belong to a group.

Ignorance, stupidity, and rudeness will cause a reaction no matter what the subject is.

One comedian said it best, "If Eminem won't say it, neither should you"

Really? I'm all SORTS of things that people make fun of. Are you saying that it is absolutely beyond my ability to control myself and my emotions that I MUST react when someone says something stupid about a group I belong to that isn't directed at me personally...?

Yeah?

And?

How does that hurt me?

Notice the emphases.

It is not the words that are the problem.

The word is more than a word. It is a term, at one time the common term for an ethnicity that was considered less than people. I can understand how it can leave people a little touchy, considering many are still feeling the effects. It is completely not the same as calling a white guy "cracker."

And I say that as a white guy who grew up the ONLY white guy in a Mexican neighborhood and was tormented all through middle school solely because of the color of my skin. Probably effected my life in a negative and irreversible manner. It's still not the same.

If there were an insulting slur for the surviving victims of 9/11 and Larry used that slur, would you feel differently?

If there were an insulting slur for the surviving victims of 9/11 and Larry used that slur, would you feel differently?

nope

I'm not sure you and RMA are saying the same thing though. You are saying Larry is a spoon for saying what he said, as far as I can tell RMA is saying we're the spoons for not congratulating Larry for it.

That's your opinion RMA.

You really are so full of yourself...it's pretty funny

nope

I'm not sure you and RMA are saying the same thing though. You are saying Larry is a spoon for saying what he said, as far as I can tell RMA is saying we're the spoons for not congratulating Larry for it.

what i am saying is people are too sensitive with words.

words are words, meaningless regardless if said in anger or love. if you LET it become something, then he has won. I don't care what he has said, it just shows his true colors as the type of person he is.

people are making a big deal over nothing. he keeps talking like this, he will go away soon enough.

the problem i have are people adding to what he said by expanding into slavery when what he said had NOTHING to do with slavery.

People read way too much into what is said when there is nothing but ramblings of someone who is begging for attention.

those that have brought up slavery in this thread scream of white guilt when there is no reason for it.

That's your opinion RMA.

You really are so full of yourself...it's pretty funny

+1 I couldn't agree more.

nope

what i am saying is people are too sensitive with words.

words are words, meaningless regardless if said in anger or love. if you LET it become something, then he has won. I don't care what he has said, it just shows his true colors as the type of person he is.

people are making a big deal over nothing. he keeps talking like this, he will go away soon enough.

the problem i have are people adding to what he said by expanding into slavery when what he said had NOTHING to do with slavery.

People read way too much into what is said when there is nothing but ramblings of someone who is begging for attention.

those that have brought up slavery in this thread scream of white guilt when there is no reason for it.

I'm really not offended in the slightest. I do have empathy for those who might be though. What I am is deciding that despite my lack of offense, I would never be friends with or do business with someone who spoke like that in front of me. that;s my choice just as much as being a racist d-bag is his. Why not react to his words but instead react to me not approving of it?