• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8...record GPA low

322 posts in this topic

so three buyers on eBay so far got scammed on 3 different hulk 181 CGC 9.8 auctions?

I think on this forum it's been two 9.6's (bhinson27 and myself) and one 9.8 (gadzukes)...correct me if I'm wrong.

How many others got scammed, I cannot say.

Check out this auction:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330621333150?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Item number: 330621333150

Maybe I'm paranoid, but this reminds me of our of friend Stewart's method of operation. A Hulk 181 PLUS extra comics. Also, only 74 feedback, with very few recent sales, and 'no returns accepted'.

hm

I hear what you are saying and he probably could win in small claims. My guess is that with the amount of negative feedback he's gotten lately (down to 81%) he likely lost money on this little scam. Too many people seemed to be onto him, more than just the three of us on this thread.

But if this guy is smart he won't do a thing. Let’s say that he does, he is then going on record that he purchased these books and did not get them from an estate like he claimed. I am no lawyer, but I think this would open him up to potential criminal charges based on the evidence that I have along with the other guys. We would for sure know who he really is at that point and the fact this guy cumulatively ripped off over $25k should mean something.

BTW I was just being a smart a** about "loosing" the book. I will hold onto it for awhile till the dust settles. ;)

I hear what you are saying and he probably could win in small claims. My guess is that with the amount of negative feedback he's gotten lately (down to 81%) he likely lost money on this little scam. Too many people seemed to be onto him, more than just the three of us on this thread.

But if this guy is smart he won't do a thing. Lets say that he does, he is then going on record that he purchased these books and did not get them from an estate like he claimed. I am no lawyer, but I think this would open him up to potential criminal charges based on the evidence that I have along with the other guys. We would for sure know who he really is at that point and the fact this guy cumulatively ripped off over $25k should mean something.

BTW I was just being a smart a** about "loosing" the book. I will hold onto it for awhile till the dust settles. ;)

;)

I don't know off the top of my head what the limit between misdemeanor theft and felony theft is, but I feel sure this guy has passed it.

He should absolutely be prosecuted for it, too. I agree.

I just don't want anyone getting in trouble because they disposed of what wasn't rightfully theirs, ya know?

on top of my head a theft of over $500 in value(in Florida so it could be different from state to state?)is grand theft and is a felony...at least that is the last time I pressed charge on someone stealing money from my wife's business.

But if this guy is smart he won't do a thing. Lets say that he does, he is then going on record that he purchased these books and did not get them from an estate like he claimed. I am no lawyer, but I think this would open him up to potential criminal charges based on the evidence that I have along with the other guys. We would for sure know who he really is at that point and the fact this guy cumulatively ripped off over $25k should mean something.

;)

I don't know off the top of my head what the limit between misdemeanor theft and felony theft is, but I feel sure this guy has passed it.

I just don't want anyone getting in trouble because they disposed of what wasn't rightfully theirs, ya know?

I would hate to have someone get in trouble for that as well.

Given what I stated earlier It's doubtful that would happen, but this topic got me thinking about other concepts given the details we have here.

The concept of "abandonment" came to mind. You try to give something to someone, they get multiple notices that you are trying to give it back to them, they refuse to take receipt of that item and are then given notice that if they do not claim the item that it will be returned to the person sending them the item. hm

Under the concept of abandonment, someone who knowingly refuses an item, someone who with notice doesn't take possession of the item may have abandoned the property willfully and with notice. hm

The next time you see a scammer voluntarily enter court to defend one of his scams will be the first time it happens.

;)

Given what I stated earlier It's doubtful that would happen, but this topic got me thinking about other concepts given the details we have here.

The concept of "abandonment" came to mind. You try to give something to someone, they get multiple notices that you are trying to give it back to them, they refuse to take receipt of that item and are then given notice that if they do not claim the item that it will be returned to the person sending them the item. hm

Under the concept of abandonment, someone who knowingly refuses an item, someone who with notice doesn't take possession of the item may have abandoned the property willfully and with notice. hm

As we discusssed before, the issue of abandonment would be addressed in the various states' abandonment laws. If that's the case, then certainly, it may be treated as abandoned property and disposed of at will. But one should make sure first how the law, both in their state and the state of the scammer, addresses the issue before claiming property as "abandoned."

The next time you see a scammer voluntarily enter court to defend one of his scams will be the first time it happens.

It's certainly not ever presented that way. Clever people can come up with clever explanations for why what they have done isn't what it appears to be.

After all, clever people here willfully misunderstand, ignore, and misinterpret what other people say on a daily basis, to further their own personal agenda...

Would this be a case of abadonment, or would the person "trying" to return the item get caught up in a particular state's escheatment laws? Are individuals responsible for escheatment issues, or is that something only for businesses?

I picked up my "returned" copy of the scam comic at the PO today. Officially, every aspect of this case is over for me unless "Stewart" tries to reclaim his original scam comic. Highly doubtful.

What a journey.

It seemed like every aspect of ordeal went at a snails pace. Over 2 months have gone by on this.

Thank you to everyone on the boards here who gave advise, shared pics, and offered wisdom. I feel very lucky to have found this thread of conversation on here.

I hope Bhinson and Polar get there "returned" comics soon too.

I guess we'll all sit on these for a while, but ironically will eventually turn profits from this scam.

I plan on resubmitting to CGC at some point, and seeing if they want to document the scam itself to better educate buyers.

I picked up my "returned" copy of the scam comic at the PO today. Officially, every aspect of this case is over for me unless "Stewart" tries to reclaim his original scam comic. Highly doubtful.

Mount it over your mantle piece between the T-800 skull and Predator head. A fine trophy of victory.

Mount it over your mantle piece between the T-800 skull and Predator head. A fine trophy of victory.

meh

To those affected, you are asking for trouble to claim these as your own.

Obviously, if this person was willing to go through such an elaborate ploy to steal thousands and thousands from people, then laws and morality mean very little to him.

If they demand the books back at some future point, I would very highly sugget you hold them to paying you for all the costs you've incurred, and then send it back..

People who have such little regard for the law probably also have no problem seeking people out they feel have "cheated" them.

Not saying it's likely, or that the guy would even consider it, but this kind of gross disregard for morality is also a clue to disregard for other aspects of the law.

"I live in another state! It could never happen."

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070726/232206.shtml

My gut says to be very wary and not look at this as some sort of boon for your troubles.

An example from my own life:

6-7 years ago, I "bought" a lot of early Spideys for $1500 on eBay. The seller shipped me an empty manila envelope, fully insured.

I took it to the Burbank police station, reported the seller (someone in El Cajon, near San Diego), and filed a claim on Paypal.

This loser fought the claim (to no avail), and when I called (back when you could get numbers from eBay) I found out she was some idjit gangbanger. Even on the phone, she continued to claim I had "ripped her off for the books" (though she'd never had them in the first place) and that she would "take care of me."

El Cajon isn't that far from Burbank, and she had my home address. I can defend myself...my dogs cannot. All somoene would need to do is toss over a box of rat poison when I'm not there. And gangbangers are notoriously vicious.

As it is, I got nasty cards in the mail, because this lunatic wasn't happy that I'd caused her to be out the $20 or so in postage costs.

That's one of the reasons I got a PO Box.

meh

Which is why I didn't say sell it and have a night out on the town. (thumbs u

meh

Obviously, if this person was willing to go through such an elaborate ploy to steal thousands and thousands from people, then laws and morality mean very little to him.

If they demand the books back at some future point, I would very highly sugget you hold them to paying you for all the costs you've incurred, and then send it back..

People who have such little regard for the law probably also have no problem seeking people out they feel have "cheated" them.

Not saying it's likely, or that the guy would even consider it, but this kind of gross disregard for morality is also a clue to disregard for other aspects of the law.

My gut says to be very wary and not look at this as some sort of boon for your troubles.

On the contrary. I would make them sue me over the book, then turn it over to them in court for the reason that you have the court as witness to you forfeiting the property.

That way he can't come back later and sue you again because you can't prove you mailed it to him.

meh

On the contrary. I would make them sue me over the book, then turn it over to them in court for the reason that you have the court as witness to you forfeiting the property.

That way he can't come back later and sue you again because you can't prove you mailed it to him.

And when he burns down your house...?

;)

meh

And when he burns down your house...?

;)

Then you carpet bomb his entire village!!!

Atomic-Bomb-770619.gif

This con artist isn't going to try and come after anyone for these comics. Burning their house down, not going to happen.

Have to agree if this person tries to at all demand the comic back, make him take you to court and countersue for time wasted and any damages.

It is likely this person has a criminal history of some sort and if they escalate trying to get the comics back they will only get themselves in more trouble hence you now have free comics.

Geeez, thanks for making me feel secure..... I actually live in the same Metro area (Atlanta) as this crook. You're right about "getting a PO Box" for this reason. I definitely do not like that this guy has my address and is only 45 minutes from me. I've got a good security system, but if he's crazy enough to burn my house down over an $800 scam comic, what can you do? If anything weird happens around my house I'm going straight to the cops with this guy's name & address.

I've wondered before, how many times a buyer/seller who felt "wronged" on ebay has actually driven to the buyer/seller's house and confronted the person. With the millions of transactions on ebay you know it has to have happened many times, with some violence involved in some cases. I'm really liking the PO Box idea a lot more.