• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2012, July 12-15, San Diego, CA

509 posts in this topic

Hi,

this may be a dumb question.

Is there still parking available at the convention center garage for the Preview Night?

I have seen parking passes being sold for Thusday-Sunday but what about Wednesday?

Thanks.

Hi,

this may be a dumb question.

Is there still parking available at the convention center garage for the Preview Night?

I have seen parking passes being sold for Thusday-Sunday but what about Wednesday?

Thanks.

Parking passes for preview night were sold out one hour after on-line sales were available several month ago. You cannot just drive up and park at the convention center. Make arrangements for parking before you get there, otherwise you will be driving around for a long time. Get there way ahead of time. Hint: I used to get there at 6 AM for preview night to get a good parking space. Drink lots of coffee. Now I just skip preview night.

Looks like on-line sales are closed. There is a smartphone parking space application.

Adam Hughes announced on his website that he will not be attending SDCC this year. Allison will be there.

http://www.justsayah.com/news/2012/06/103/More_Convention_Cancellations/

Do people honestly think with Allison gone that Adam will do anything?

Checking the floor plan. Seems like the CGC Booth will be located on the other side of the Exhibit Hall, away from Artists Alley and Illustrators. Picking up sketches will be such a challenge on this one.

Checking the floor plan. Seems like the CGC Booth will be located on the other side of the Exhibit Hall, away from Artists Alley and Illustrators. Picking up sketches will be such a challenge on this one.

Oh yeah its a blast! [screwy]

Weather forecast is 72 and sunny all 5 days. :cloud9:

Its pretty much 72 and sunny all 365 days. :devil:

Only going Thursday and Sunday this year. Might be a blessing in disguise since I would feel obligated to wait in line to see some Room 20/Hall H panels and that is just not fun.

Copying this over from the SDCC thread in CG:

Doesn't sound like a forum dinner's going to happen this year since nobody stepped up to plan it, but I'd enjoy hanging out with any boardies that want to get together Wednesday or Thursday night.

Also, if anyone's interested, we'll have a table for the Eisners and I'd enjoy the company of any boardies that would like to join us (my wife and I and some friends). The Eisners are Friday evening 8:00 to 10:00 or so. Food is served 7:00-7:45. We'll also have quite a few drink tickets so you can drink for free and save your money to buy more comics.

Anybody that wants to hang out at SDCC, PM me!

Conan

Speaking of dinners, I figured I'd post this in case there are any war collectors kickin' around. I know you attended last year, Conan, and you & your pop'd be welcome again, of course! This is imported from the war comics thread:

OK, folks. Here's the official invite to the 18th annual DC War Comics Summit/Banquet:

When: 7:45-10:00ish PM, Thursday, July 12

Where: Filippi's Pizza Grotto (the usual place) 1747 India Street San Diego, California 92101 Phone: (619) 232 - 5094

Why: Hang with a bunch of fans of the coolest genre in comics, DC war. Killer pasta and pizza, affordable prices. It'll be 20 bucks flat rate for the meal cost (not including alcohol which'll be cash-bar format and cover charge). For that 20 bucks, you get to order ANYthing you want off the menu (except alcohol) and I guarantee you'll be full and have another 3 doggy-bags of food to take back to your hotel fridge so that you can scarf it down for lunch on Friday instead of the swill they sell at the convention center.

Humminah: We're sponsoring Russ Heath's visit to Comic-Con for the first time in about 4 years. He's gonna stay in a hotel for 2 nights on our dime. Anybody coming to the summit kicks in 20 bucks for the privilege of shmoozing across the table with this legend. We'll be collecting the $$$$ in a Sgt. Rock helmet that'll look something like an upside down version of one of these:

DSCN6394.jpg

I'm sure I can get Wild Bill Kelso, Peter, Mr. Bedrock, Keith, or Adam Strange to help collect the $$ at the door when people walk in. That makes the total price for everything a measly $40.00 (including flat dinner and Heath underwriting). Deal of the century, folks!

Humminah humminah: Mr. Heath has volunteered to donate a sketch toward our resurrected art auction. It's been about 5 years since we've done one of those, so this'll be a special treat. I'm working on getting a couple other cool pieces to auction off that night. For anybody who's never been to one of the auctions, it truly is a chance for collectors to get some amayyyyyyzing art for totally affordable prices. The proceeds from the auction will help underwrite Russ Heath's hotel AND if we have anything left over, we'll kick it into a travel expense bank account for whoever the 2013 banquet guest is. (Do any of you have scans of some of the art from the souvenir books handy to show what kinds of stuff went at auction before? If you do, post 'em.) If I get any of this year's art donations in advance, I'll try & post them here before the banquet.

All collectors and families are invited. Sidenote: Folks who are bringing significant others/family need not pay beyond the single "cover-fee." So as an example, if I brought Pam, I'd pay $40.00, but Pam's cost would only be $20.00 (no cover-fee) because she's a family guest. Trying to make this as family-friendly as possible and still raise enough to cover Mr. Heath. All I ask is that you PM or email me with a headcount for who's coming. It'll be a good gig, people. Looking forward to seeing everybody! PM me with any Qs.

Mick

I'll be the guy wearing the detective27.com T-shirt. And no, I'm not wearing the same shirt all 5 days. I had 4 made!

Cheap arse.

What do you wear the rest of the week?

Speaking of dinners, I figured I'd post this in case there are any war collectors kickin' around. I know you attended last year, Conan, and you & your pop'd be welcome again, of course! This is imported from the war comics thread:

OK, folks. Here's the official invite to the 18th annual DC War Comics Summit/Banquet:

When: 7:45-10:00ish PM, Thursday, July 12

Where: Filippi's Pizza Grotto (the usual place) 1747 India Street San Diego, California 92101 Phone: (619) 232 - 5094

Why: Hang with a bunch of fans of the coolest genre in comics, DC war. Killer pasta and pizza, affordable prices. It'll be 20 bucks flat rate for the meal cost (not including alcohol which'll be cash-bar format and cover charge). For that 20 bucks, you get to order ANYthing you want off the menu (except alcohol) and I guarantee you'll be full and have another 3 doggy-bags of food to take back to your hotel fridge so that you can scarf it down for lunch on Friday instead of the swill they sell at the convention center.

Humminah: We're sponsoring Russ Heath's visit to Comic-Con for the first time in about 4 years. He's gonna stay in a hotel for 2 nights on our dime. Anybody coming to the summit kicks in 20 bucks for the privilege of shmoozing across the table with this legend. We'll be collecting the $$$$ in a Sgt. Rock helmet that'll look something like an upside down version of one of these:

DSCN6394.jpg

I'm sure I can get Wild Bill Kelso, Peter, Mr. Bedrock, Keith, or Adam Strange to help collect the $$ at the door when people walk in. That makes the total price for everything a measly $40.00 (including flat dinner and Heath underwriting). Deal of the century, folks!

Humminah humminah: Mr. Heath has volunteered to donate a sketch toward our resurrected art auction. It's been about 5 years since we've done one of those, so this'll be a special treat. I'm working on getting a couple other cool pieces to auction off that night. For anybody who's never been to one of the auctions, it truly is a chance for collectors to get some amayyyyyyzing art for totally affordable prices. The proceeds from the auction will help underwrite Russ Heath's hotel AND if we have anything left over, we'll kick it into a travel expense bank account for whoever the 2013 banquet guest is. (Do any of you have scans of some of the art from the souvenir books handy to show what kinds of stuff went at auction before? If you do, post 'em.) If I get any of this year's art donations in advance, I'll try & post them here before the banquet.

All collectors and families are invited. Sidenote: Folks who are bringing significant others/family need not pay beyond the single "cover-fee." So as an example, if I brought Pam, I'd pay $40.00, but Pam's cost would only be $20.00 (no cover-fee) because she's a family guest. Trying to make this as family-friendly as possible and still raise enough to cover Mr. Heath. All I ask is that you PM or email me with a headcount for who's coming. It'll be a good gig, people. Looking forward to seeing everybody! PM me with any Qs.

Mick

I live about 3 blocks from this Filipis pizza. One of the best places to eat around here. Highly recommended. Have fun guys. And make sure you try the lasagna.

So no one seemed to have any extra space for us to stay. We went ahead and booked a room at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter...sweet spot overseeing Petco Park. If someone needs a place still, which would help me cut costs a little, PM me. (thumbs u

I'll be the guy wearing the detective27.com T-shirt. And no, I'm not wearing the same shirt all 5 days. I had 4 made!

Cheap arse.

What do you wear the rest of the week?

Black tux and tails.

So since you made 4, on Sunday you'll be wearing a stinky shirt? :baiting:

By Sunday, I'll want people to give me a wide birth.