• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

I love the idea that Sean's entire argument rests on the possibility that 15-16 THOUSAND copies of Silver Surfer #4 would end up at a, say, regional distribution center and get "accidentally" mixed in with returns (which should never have been at a distribution center in the first place, demonstrated by the word "distribution") and then "accidentally" not get shipped out...just the one book, mind...to local distributors, and newsstands, none of whom would bother to call up and say "hey...I'm showing 35 copies of Silver Surfer #4 on my invoice, but I didn't get any copies. What gives?"

Cause that's TOTALLY reasonable.

lol

I can't remember what exactly your argument is, and I'm not digging through your posts again to try to figure it out.

It's been fun watching you give details about an industry that you know diddly squat about.

Please be sure to follow it up with all encompassing description of cold fusion and the G-spot, as I'm sure you have similar experience with those.

I'll hang up and listen to your response. :popcorn:

Since you have utterly failed to provide any sort of evidence to prove ANY sort of "well..it's possible!" claim, you have resorted to the typical "you don't know what you're talking about" rebuttal, which is the absolute surest sign that you...have...nothing.

The simple fact is, you can throw all the "well, what if SPACE ALIENS came and abductred half the print run right off the presses, and then kept them in space for 17 years, and then deposited them in the Mile High II warehouse for Chuck to find!" but the bottom line is that none of those what ifs are PLAUSIBLE or REASONABLE.

Thanks to BOTH of you for taking a fun conversation and making it about your egos. You two can really be individual_without_enough_empathys sometimes, you know that?

So I see Rocky is still making friends, Angie (COI) is still sexy brilliant, and Sean is still drunk. What else did I miss?

(by the way, my method of reading threads backwards continues to serve me well. deadlifting salty chocolate balls, HA!)

I love the idea that Sean's entire argument rests on the possibility that 15-16 THOUSAND copies of Silver Surfer #4 would end up at a, say, regional distribution center and get "accidentally" mixed in with returns (which should never have been at a distribution center in the first place, demonstrated by the word "distribution") and then "accidentally" not get shipped out...just the one book, mind...to local distributors, and newsstands, none of whom would bother to call up and say "hey...I'm showing 35 copies of Silver Surfer #4 on my invoice, but I didn't get any copies. What gives?"

lol

Here is the essence of your problem, chum.

I'm not making an argument. I have absolutely no idea what happened or what could have happened. I don't even think that what I typed was an opinion. I was engaging in what I thought would be a light, fun "What If" type scenario; explaining in a yet more light and fun way what will likely be a mystery lost to the annals of time and Sammy Gravano's memory.

Instead, I would much rather have repeatedly hit the tip of my with a tackhammer for the last 45 minutes. So thanks for that.

lol

Are you high?

Superman #1 - 2nd and 3rd printings.

How can one tell the differences between them and the first print?

I heard this goes for Batman #1 as well?

hm

Superman #1 had three printings. The first was 500,000, the second was 250,000, and the third was 150,000. All printings have a house ad for Action Comics #14 on the last interior page. In the first printing, the ad reads "On Sale June 2nd". In the third printing, the ad reads "On Sale Now". No one knows if the ad change occurred in the 2nd printing or the third. Therefore, no copy of Superman #1 can be positively identified as being from a particular printing!

Couldn't one definitely say that one that reads "On Sale June 2nd" is not a first printing, so therefore it must be either a second or third printing?

You can be certain that copies that say "On Sale June 2nd" are not a 3rd printing, and that copies that say "On Sale Now" are not a 1st printing, but you still can't positively determine what printing any copy IS from.

You would think a timeline would have been preserved somewhere.

You would think that the label could at least note if it was a "June 2nd" or an "On Sale Now" printing. They do that exact thing on other books. Notably the first issue of Playboy.

People don't really care about Playboy. A notation on Superman #1 would rock the boat.

Let me see if I can get his straight.

The books are printed in Sparta, IL. Some are sorted for distribution right there (which cancels those out), but bundles of them are loaded by train to go to other distribution points.

Somehow the mafia, with some kind of bizarre foresight (or inside info - Chuck? Owed the mob for a huge unpaid weed purchases?), target one of these trains to high jack, just knowing that hoarding the cool Silver Surfer #4, would pay big dividends down the road....Hunh?

Wait. This is 1968...

I'm confused. Seems unlikely.

I thought most of you guys didn't believe in conspiracy theories.

I think you are missing the idea. The mob was involved with funny books in order to launder money. They weren't in the business of Billy the Kidding trains. The books were non-consequential, an afterthought to the grand scheme of money laundering.

Where can I find more information on the mobs involvement in comics. Has anyone written in depth about this?

The books are printed in Sparta, IL. Some are sorted for distribution right there (which cancels those out), but bundles of them are loaded by train to go to other distribution points.

Somehow the mafia, with some kind of bizarre foresight (or inside info - Chuck? Owed the mob for a huge unpaid weed purchases?), target one of these trains to high jack, just knowing that hoarding the cool Silver Surfer #4, would pay big dividends down the road....Hunh?

Wait. This is 1968...

Not only COULD it have happened precisely that way, it's LIKELY that that's EXACTLY what happened.

Unless, you know, one has a brain.

lol

I can't remember what exactly your argument is, and I'm not digging through your posts again to try to figure it out.

It's been fun watching you give details about an industry that you know diddly squat about.

Please be sure to follow it up with all encompassing description of cold fusion and the G-spot, as I'm sure you have similar experience with those.

Since you have utterly failed to provide any sort of evidence to prove ANY sort of "well..it's possible!" claim, you have resorted to the typical "you don't know what you're talking about" rebuttal, which is the absolute surest sign that you...have...nothing.

The simple fact is, you can throw all the "well, what if SPACE ALIENS came and abductred half the print run right off the presses, and then kept them in space for 17 years, and then deposited them in the Mile High II warehouse for Chuck to find!" but the bottom line is that none of those what ifs are PLAUSIBLE or REASONABLE.

Thanks to BOTH of you for taking a fun conversation and making it about your egos. You two can really be individual_without_enough_empathys sometimes, you know that?

No. You claimed that there was no way in hell that it could have happened, and all I did was give you one way in hell that it could. If you're going to lay your balls on the table and claim that so-and-so can't happen, you might want to make sure you're right. I have no idea what happened, nor do I care, but I can tell you with certainty that what I said *could* have happened.

I have no dog in this fight and you know I love you like my own brother, so don't be surprised if I thump you on your thick noggin when you need it.

Ego indeed. lol

See my addition to the post you quote above.

See my chocolate salty balls

Is it possible to NOT like sean with posts like this??? hm

Although, technically i think you meant "see you ginger salty balls" :whee:

lol

No. You claimed that there was no way in hell that it could have happened, and all I did was give you one way in hell that it could. If you're going to lay your balls on the table and claim that so-and-so can't happen, you might want to make sure you're right. I have no idea what happened, nor do I care, but I can tell you with certainty that what I said *could* have happened.

I have no dog in this fight and you know I love you like my own brother, so don't be surprised if I thump you on your thick noggin when you need it.

Ego indeed. lol

Whose posts are you reading?

Cause they're not mine.

There's one hell of a difference between "there's no way in hell it could have happened" and 'um. Yeah, ok. Possible, but not really likely."

It's possible that John Buscema didn't like the cover colors, and went to Sparta and bought up the entire print run, only selling copies from his house.

What? It's possible!

But we weren't discussing what was POSSIBLE, but rather what was LIKELY. Big difference. But YOU interpreted that as " :sumo: RMA says there's no way in HELL that could have happened."

Which, of course, is an utter load of compostable_fertilizer.

I'm guessing you just read what I say, and then filter it through some sort of intepretative device in your head that takes you from what I said, to what you thought I say. It's really quite stupid of you to do that.

lol

Ego indeed. lol

Whose posts are you reading?

Cause they're not mine.

There's one hell of a difference between "there's no way in hell it could have happened" and 'um. Yeah, ok. Possible, but not really likely."

It's possible that John Buscema didn't like the cover colors, and went to Sparta and bought up the entire print run, only selling copies from his house.

What? It's possible!

But we weren't discussing what was POSSIBLE, but rather what was LIKELY. Big difference. But YOU interpreted that as " :sumo: RMA says there's no way in HELL that could have happened."

Which, of course, is an utter load of compostable_fertilizer.

I'm guessing you just read what I say, and then filter it through some sort of intepretative device in your head that takes you from what I said, to what you thought I say. It's really quite stupid of you to do that.

You can use a lot of adjectives to describe me, but I really don't think "stupid" would be on that list.

I'll just forget you said that and we can stay friends. :foryou:

lol

Here is the essence of your problem, chum.

I'm not making an argument. I have absolutely no idea what happened or what could have happened. I don't even think that what I typed was an opinion. I was engaging in what I thought would be a light, fun "What If" type scenario; explaining in a yet more light and fun way what will likely be a mystery lost to the annals of time and Sammy Gravano's memory.

Instead, I would much rather have repeatedly hit the tip of my with a tackhammer for the last 45 minutes. So thanks for that.

And another!

Pure GOLD!!! (thumbs u

You can use a lot of adjectives to describe me, but I really don't think "stupid" would be on that list.

I'll just forget you said that and we can stay friends. :foryou:

Yeah, that's really the heart of the matter around here, isn't it...?

You read what you want to read, and not what is written.

You've done it again, right here.

Wait. This is 1968...

I think you are missing the idea. The mob was involved with funny books in order to launder money. They weren't in the business of Billy the Kidding trains. The books were non-consequential, an afterthought to the grand scheme of money laundering.

Where can I find more information on the mobs involvement in comics. Has anyone written in depth about this?

I would start with PMing lou_fine.

The following statement was made PRIOR TO Seanfingh's entry into this conversation:

What is most common in the "warehouse finds" are NOT books that had actually spent time on the newsstands, but rather, books that, for one reason or another, never reached the newsstand in the first place.

Re-quoted in response to this:

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT RETURNS. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BOOKS THAT ENDED UP WITH THE UNSTRIPPED "RETURN" BOOKS AFTER BEING REMOVED FROM THE SUPPLY CHAIN AND THUS NEVER REACHING THE STANDS.

Exactly the same thing.

Just to demonstrate the fact that people don't bother to read, and then fly off the handle because of it.

Way too common round here.

Wait. This is 1968...

Here's one place:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg70.html

Granted, it's Chuck, so take it for what it's worth as hearsay.

1) Welcome back Ogami!

2) Most of you need deadlifts to work the whiny beeyotch out of you.

3) The Mafia is responsible for the high prices of SS 4.

4) Sean needs to get to a doctor to figure out why his balls resemble anything close to chocolate.

Wait. This is 1968...

Here's one place:

When was Chuck's word promoted to hearsay?

Wait. This is 1968...

Here's one place:

When was Chuck's word promoted to hearsay?

As funny as the joke is, I was talking about Chuck repeating what he had heard, not what Chuck said himself.