• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

Oh! I got one!

Daredevil # 168. Yeah it's the first Miller (writing) and first Electra, but it's way overpriced. I see them everywhere and they're all expensive.

And I love Daredevil!

:mad:

168 gets a pass. Daredevil 158 however!

ASM 129.

Mainly because I want one. :cry:

Too bad The Punisher can't be involved in some seedy scandal that would drive down the price of his first appearance. :cry:

Surprised no one said ASM 129.

yeah, Punisher was HUGE in the early 90's but he's pretty B-list nowdays. Cmon folks, its a depressed guy with a gun!

Even with his popularity, that book is as common as it gets. Is there a dealer on the planet that doesnt have a stack of 9.6-9.8 copies in his back room? 2 grand for a 9.6?!? Thats crazy to me! :screwy:

ASM 129.

Too bad The Punisher can't be involved in some seedy scandal that would drive down the price of his first appearance. :cry:

Dammit!!! You had to post that 30 seconds before me! :baiting:

Amazing Fantasy #1 in any grade under VF. Plentiful in all grades, if people did not hoard it it would be cheaper.

Hulk 181- Awesome 1st appearance. But they are everywhere and over priced.

Walking Dead #1- seriously. Paying over $100.00 is just stoopid money for a modern. Ultra rare in 9.8 riiiiight...

GL 76- I agree with everything that has been said.

Batman 227- you are paying a HUGE premium for a REALLY cool cover. Anyone wanna tell me what the story is inside. (hint: most people buy them slabbed and never open them)

Conan #1 - seriously 1K for a book that is no longer published by Marvel. (last I checked)

Showcase 22- Beater copies sell for multiples what they did a few years back. I think they were accurate a few years back.

Captain America 100- Cool cover and all, but why so much money?

Chew #1 - WTF is this book anyways..

Amazing Spider-Man 300 - another HTF book in 9.8 lol

Werewolf by night 32 - Ummm yea. 1st Moon Knight in a REALLY unpopular series..

Tomb Of Dracula 10 - NOBODY cares about Blade anymore.

ALL-Flash #1 - A GA #1 that is not worth even 50% of it's OSPG price. You pretty much NEVER see this book in anything but B.I.N form. Wanna talk about a dead duck..

Detective Comics #400 - Man-Bat... Seriously, crappy character.

Amazing Spider-Man #50 - The Kingpin was made famous by Frank Miller. That book is disturbingly over priced.

Spidey #28 - I will never understand why thi book is so expensive.

I think this should spark some debate.

I think most of this is dead-on, but I think AF 15 was a troll pick. It's a top-3 book. People pay 4 figures for loose Action 1 pages; I think it's reasonable to pay big $$$ for complete AF 15s.

And I have no idea what a "Chew 1" is.

ASM 129.

He is. It is called the character does not have staying powere and if you hold out long enough you WILL be able to afford one.

ASM 129 - overpriced.

Oh! I got one!

Daredevil # 168. Yeah it's the first Miller (writing) and first Electra, but it's way overpriced. I see them everywhere and they're all expensive.

And I love Daredevil!

:mad:

168 gets a pass. Daredevil 158 however!

I think they're both overpriced. However, I have to agree that #158 is way overpriced. Miller didn't even write the damn book, he only drew it.

Amazing Fantasy #1 in any grade under VF. Plentiful in all grades, if people did not hoard it it would be cheaper.

Walking Dead #1- seriously. Paying over $100.00 is just stoopid money for a modern. Ultra rare in 9.8 riiiiight...

Batman 227- you are paying a HUGE premium for a REALLY cool cover. Anyone wanna tell me what the story is inside. (hint: most people buy them slabbed and never open them)

Conan #1 - seriously 1K for a book that is no longer published by Marvel. (last I checked)

Showcase 22- Beater copies sell for multiples what they did a few years back. I think they were accurate a few years back.

ALL-Flash #1 - A GA #1 that is not worth even 50% of it's OSPG price. You pretty much NEVER see this book in anything but B.I.N form. Wanna talk about a dead duck..

Amazing Spider-Man #50 - The Kingpin was made famous by Frank Miller. That book is disturbingly over priced.

I think most of this is dead-on, but I think AF 15 was a troll pick. It's a top-3 book. People pay 4 figures for loose Action 1 pages; I think it's reasonable to pay big $$$ for complete AF 15s.

So over 1K for a beater of Af 15 is a good deal.

There is about a 500 to 1 ratio of AF15 to Action 1.

ASM 129.

Dammit!!! You had to post that 30 seconds before me! :baiting:

lol

Detective 225 - First Martian Manhunter....Rare, expensive but a C list character

Hero For Hire 1 .....Really ?!.....I mean, he's cool for a 1970s era Shaft-type character, but is he worth the money ?....Especially the prices in 9.6 and above.

Fantastic Four 52 ...Black Panther....(See Hero for Hire)

Ghost Rider 1 - Nothing too see here folks...move along.....

Marvel Spotlight 2.....Werewolf by NIght....Who's that ?!

Iron Man 1 .....Super common, not the first or second or third....or fourth....you get the idea.....appearance.....

Batman 251.....really great cover, great story...but not hard to find in high grade...same thing as the 227....

So over 1K for a beater of Af 15 is a good deal.

There is about a 500 to 1 ratio of AF15 to Action 1.

I wouldn't say "good deal" since I think this entire hobby is crazy, but it's certainly reasonable within the context of this market.

Sure, there are way more AF 15s, but you can't sniff a beater Action 1 for less than the cost of a new luxury car.

ASM 129.

He is. It is called the character does not have staying powere and if you hold out long enough you WILL be able to afford one.

ASM 129 - overpriced.

I'm so cheap I need the "caught using HGH, cocaine and hookers high priced call girls while cheating on his taxes and stealing all the money from his charitable foundation for kids to pay for the blow and hookers high priced call girls" type scandal to get it down to a price I am comfortable paying.

:whee:

Detective 225 - First Martian Manhunter....Rare, expensive but a C list character

Hero For Hire 1 .....Really ?!.....I mean, he's cool for a 1970s era Shaft-type character, but is he worth the money ?....Especially the prices in 9.6 and above.

Fantastic Four 52 ...Black Panther....(See Hero for Hire)

Ghost Rider 1 - Nothing too see here folks...move along.....

Marvel Spotlight 2.....Werewolf by NIght....Who's that ?!

Iron Man 1 .....Super common, not the first or second or third....or fourth....you get the idea.....appearance.....

Batman 251.....really great cover, great story...but not hard to find in high grade...same thing as the 227....

Ghost Rider #1 should be in the dollar bin.

Surprised no one said ASM 129.

yeah, Punisher was HUGE in the early 90's but he's pretty B-list nowdays. Cmon folks, its a depressed guy with a gun!

Even with his popularity, that book is as common as it gets. Is there a dealer on the planet that doesnt have a stack of 9.6-9.8 copies in his back room? 2 grand for a 9.6?!? Thats crazy to me! :screwy:

Actually, I think you're wrong. Those 9.6-9.8 copies were sold back in 1991 when those dealers said "holy canole, are you telling me that this $1 box book is now worth $350? are you frigging out of your mind? sell them all now, sell them fast!!!"

It might be common, but I don't see them walking in the door. My main LCS does a decent back issue business and I believe they have had 2 copies of this book in the last 7 1/2 year, one of which I bought. Now, it's true, I'm only there 3-5 days a week and it's the kind of book that will sell quickly if not priced insane, so they've probably had 20 other copies I've missed, but it's not like they're sitting there gathering dust. The copy I bought had just been bought that day and the other copy was a mid-grade one I didn't want to spend $150 on and it sat for 2 days. Mind you, they've had 3 copies of X-Men 1, 5 GS X-Men 1s, 3 Hulk 181s, 2 FF 1s, 10 FF 48s and various other keys all within the last year, so it's not that they don't buy collections/have turnover.