• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

All new comics fresh off the shelf.

$4.00 for something that takes 15 minutes to read?

15? try 4

I'm slow. In more ways than one.

But you see my point? I remember when comics were 50 and 60 cents. Adjusting for inflation I can see comics maybe costing a buck fifty at most.

But you see my point? I remember when comics were 50 and 60 cents. Adjusting for inflation I can see comics maybe costing a buck fifty at most.

Not only do I see your point, I can elaborate upon it.

I remember when comics cost ten cents each in 1961. Those comics had letter pages, a short written feature, a one page public service announcement in comic form, a half page feature on scientific facts, a half page funny, and loads of super cool ads. All told, twenty to thirty minutes of reading material.

Comics now cost no less than $2.75 each. The panel sizes have grown, and the letter columns and other cool features have now disappeared. A kid can now read through one in less than ten minutes.

There's been a dramatic decline in the value proposition of comics and inflation by itself does not even come close to explaining it.

:preach:

Pep 22. Not hating on it, but I just can't believe the prices it commands.

It is a major first appearance, and it's super rare. (shrug)

$200...for a low grade bronze book that isn't the first appearance of Wolverine. Why?

Rarest of all the big keys by far.

Archie is still as hot today as he was 50 years ago. Kids read the stuff like it's going out of style.

Looks like it's +20! :cloud9:

Yes, I definitely don't have a problem with Pep #22 as it's virtually an impossible book to find in any grade. Does anybody know of the last time that a nice HG grade copy of this book was available in the marketplace and what it sold for as I can't remember any myself? hm

I remember when comics cost ten cents each in 1961. Those comics had letter pages, a short written feature, a one page public service announcement in comic form, a half page feature on scientific facts, a half page funny, and loads of super cool ads. All told, twenty to thirty minutes of reading material.

Comics now cost no less than $2.75 each. The panel sizes have grown, and the letter columns and other cool features have now disappeared. A kid can now read through one in less than ten minutes.

There's been a dramatic decline in the value proposition of comics and inflation by itself does not even come close to explaining it.

10 minutes?!?

I dont read many moderns but my business partner gave me some modern Hulk book as a goof for my B-day. I'm not even joking, i read it in like 2 1/2 minutes!

The panels were HUGE with almost no dialogue and nothing but ads. Literally, i dont think there were more than 250 words in the entire comic :eyeroll:

10 minutes?!?

I dont read many moderns but my business partner gave me some modern Hulk book as a goof for my B-day. I'm not even joking, i read it in like 2 1/2 minutes!

The panels were HUGE with almost no dialogue and nothing but ads. Literally, i dont think there were more than 250 words in the entire comic :eyeroll:

I was leaning over backwards to be kind and generous to the modern books.

(shrug)

yeah, but in 1961 poor Jack Kirby needed to draw 6 titles a month just to feed his family

I honestly feel that most of the time the art definitely took a lot more time and effort than most books in the 60's. dunno about the scripting.

With that said, I agree. for $2.99 we should be talkig about at least 48 pages and a bunch of ads and pin-ups. if only 20 pages are the main story event, so be it, butI find it hard to believe that there aren't bajillions of folks willing to -script/draw back-up features on the cheap, maybe mix in some quality re-prints, I dunno. maybe folks don't want that, i have no idea, but it would be a nice way to continue to do stories for characters that are somewhat popular, but not enough to sustain a regular title.

and even for larger comics, for example i like the new creepy, but it's $5. hard to justify.

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

It's a completely different cover from the regular, it's extraordinarily suggestive, and it's incredibly rare.

Sounds like something that should be shared. I looked on eBay and couldn't find it, would anyone have a link?

All new comics fresh off the shelf.

$4.00 for something that takes 15 minutes to read?

15? try 4

I'm slow. In more ways than one.

Don't worry we know. :makepoint:

That GI Joe Comic with the Todd McFarlane cover. Why is that book so expensive?

I can't remember its number right now.

I don't think Todd McFarlane even drew that cover. It was a cover swipe of McFarlane's Spider-Man #1, drawn by another artist. lol

This inside however is a reprint of G.I. Joe #61 which Todd McFarlane did draw.