• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

TMNT #1. I would love to have that book, but the price is ridiculous. Someone please explain why? (shrug)

See bold above. Now multiply that by all the kids that were born in 1980 who read comics and watched TV.

Very low print run, and size made it difficult to store properly.

Also, TMNT was everywhere in the 80's and into the early 90's - Three high grossing movies, action figures, PJ's, games, puzzles, long-running cartoon on TV, etc.

Not to mention the kick-off for the B&W boom of the 1980's...

TMNT the movie was 20 years ago. Assume about an average age of 8 for movie goers and that puts them at 28 or so now. I see that book rising in price again over the next 5 to 10 years, as those fans reach their mid 30's. 2c

I just bought a copy at SDCC, and admit it was a personal grail purchase for me. (thumbs u

I would totally get a TMNT #1 (First Printing) if I could, but I know I wouldn't be able to find it for under $1,500.

I love the Ninja Turtles, but I'd rather get an 8.0 Daredevil #1 for the same price as a TMNT #1.

Star Wars #1 (35 cent variant). Star Was #1 without the 35 cent variant is dirt cheap, but that 35 cent price really bumps that book. Why? Because the price on it is different? It's the same damn book either way.

I'm with you on that,never understood the "price variant" who cares!

Hyped up moderns. For example, Vengeance of Bane sells for around 40 dollars in eBay "NM/M". (shrug) I could have bought that in a dollar bin a few years ago. The only reason I want a nice copy is becuase it is the first apperance of Bane of the great Batman villains. :headbang:I'll wait till the hype cools down.

Even after the hype goes down you will probally never find it in a dollar bin again. Once a book has been outed in comic book land as valuable then it usually stays valuable. Yes it might go down somewhat in value once the Batman movie comes out,but it will never be a dollar fodder book again.

Just about every hot comic maintains some value. It might not sell but it won`t be given away for a buck either! (thumbs u

Star Wars #1 (35 cent variant). Star Was #1 without the 35 cent variant is dirt cheap, but that 35 cent price really bumps that book. Why? Because the price on it is different? It's the same damn book either way.

It might be one of the rarest comic books of the bronze age with a print run of half of TMNT #1. If you factor in the millions of Star Wars fans out there then you can see how this book will continue to go up in price. This would be one of the few books I might MANNUP for. ;)

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

How about Ultimate Spider-man #1?

I read it and liked it,but I read and liked Spider-man 2099 and those issues of Spidey 2099 are not going for $100 plus.

Now that they have rebooted that title like twice and killed the character introduced in it you'll likely see demand for that book die off.

Amazing Adventures 11 - First furry Beast. So? Tony Stark once grew a beard, that's not worth anything.

Plus the story and art are horrific.

Amazing Adventures 11 - First furry Beast. So? Tony Stark once grew a beard, that's not worth anything.

Plus the story and art are horrific.

Though I can't say much for the art, I did like the story. To each his own I suppose.

Considering the Beast went on to participate in two of the greatest teams and a film, I would think people would have some interest in his tale of transition.

Every variant ever made.

Agreed. Seriously, that stupid Danger Girls variant recently went for over $900.00 on ebay. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! What am I missing? Are the contents of the book different? Does this cover hold some special significance? Did Jeffery Scott Campbell come to the guy's house, draw the issue in front of him and print it on his portable press? WHY?

Because someone wanted it. I bet what you collect sucks, too.

Detective #64. Great cover. Cool Joker story. WAY overpriced due to the Boy Commandos 1st appearance (which no one cares about anymore).

5f357c3e-7c1a-4b6a-ae34-3fd0fad97d9b.jpg

Same goes with many GA comics that Baby Boomers loved but no one else does anymore. Prices got propped up so high during the 70s/80s but demand has died off.

The same goes for nearly all of the early Legion appearances. I mean, really...18th appearance? I love the Legion, but their heyday is longgg gone.

This won't change while Bob's still publishing the Guide.

Every variant ever made.

It's a completely different cover from the regular, it's extraordinarily suggestive, and it's incredibly rare.

That's why.

Variants really shouldn't be a part of this thread. They are manufactured collectibles, with a few exceptions, and play by a slightly different set of rules than a "regular" comic.