• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

Tales to Astonish #27.

First appearance of Ant-Man for $500 in "Good" condition? Get out of here.

No one likes Ant-Man, and if you say you do, you're lying.

I like ant man.

As do I.

He may be perennially riding the plank, but he was one of the first SA Marvel superheroes, and has made shloads of appearances since.

However, most of his early adventures are on par with the solo Torch stories in Strange Tales, which could practically be interchangeable in plot structure and writing with the DC books of the day.

And I wish I could find the exact quote, but even Jack Kirby was dismissive. Paraphrasing, he said "His power is that he can get small? Big deal." Makes sense to me, since it wasn't long before he became Giant Man and expanded his repertoire.

Whew, I'm bushed. Can we turn this into a thread about Crazy Russian Chicks We've Known and Loved now?

Almost forgot - it wasn't luck he won over "The Man In the Beehive", sales drove the decision. I've read nothing to suggest revisionist history; TOS 32 and TTA 27 were meant to be tryouts for new characters and TTA 27 sold more books, Martin Goldman's main concern.

Of course the interpretation of sales data from those days could be the subject of an entire thread.

Let's get back to Russian chicks! :banana:

Green Lantern #76

Batman #227

Conan #3

Silver Surfer #4 - Greatest SA cover of all-time. You don't need another reason!

Iron Man #1

Detective #225

Daredevil #7

Hulk #181

Chew #1

Ultimate Spiderman #1

Walking Dead #1

Spiderman #300 Chromium

Spiderman #1 Chromium

and more...

:sumo:

Green Lantern #76

Batman #227

Conan #3

Silver Surfer #4

Iron Man #1

Detective #225Daredevil #7

Hulk #181

Chew #1

Ultimate Spiderman #1

Walking Dead #1

Spiderman #300 Chromium

Spiderman #1 Chromium

and more...

This is the one that has stumped me for many years. Maybe Martian Manhunter was a big deal at one time, but...

TMNT #1. I would love to have that book, but the price is ridiculous. Someone please explain why? (shrug)

See bold above. Now multiply that by all the kids that were born in 1980 who read comics and watched TV.

Green Lantern #76

Batman #227

Conan #3

Silver Surfer #4

Iron Man #1

Detective #225

Daredevil #7

Hulk #181

Chew #1

Ultimate Spiderman #1

Walking Dead #1

Spiderman #300 Chromium

Spiderman #1 Chromium

and more...

Daredevil 7 I would give a pass to. It does have importance that is still rellevant.

Silver Surfer #4 Holy Krap!!! How did I let that TURD slip by. I have never ONCE heard ANYBODY comment that there even IS a story!

Tec 225. It is still a very difficult book to locate in HG, and there are ALOT of Detective Comics collectors. So those two drive the HG market. Anything under a F- though, the book should be about 40% cheaper for a VG.