• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most disappointing comic you own?

60 posts in this topic

Anything Marvel by Bendis or Millar.

Old Man Logan was good.

Ultimate Spidey was good as well.

As much as I hate Bendis, even I must confess the first hundred issues were good.

They really were a lot of fun. The whole Ultimatum thing though... :tonofbricks: not so much.

Most disappointing ever? That's easy.

AllStarBatmanAndRobin1.jpg

All-Star Batman & Robin #1.

Yeah, I know it's not the cover image per se that doesn't match the interior. However, the cover promises Frank Miller and Jim Lee, so I had high hopes. Until this point, I liked or loved anything Miller did. And then this piece of ...*ahem*... drek... came out.

For a nanosecond I was thinking of putting down Batman: Odyssey #1 as "most disappointing." Since I started collecting in an era when Neal Adams was by far one of the most talented and impressive artists working in the industry, this book disappointed. But then I thought for a moment: I had seen Adams' Continuity stuff and listened to him prattle on about Pangaea. My expectations for Batman: Odyssey were really low from the start. It was a disappointment nonetheless, but not on the order of magnitude that All-Star B & R #1 was.

BatmanOdyssey1.jpg

Most disappointing ever? That's easy.

AllStarBatmanAndRobin1.jpg

All-Star Batman & Robin #1.

Yeah, I know it's not the cover image per se that doesn't match the interior. However, the cover promises Frank Miller and Jim Lee, so I had high hopes. Until this point, I liked or loved anything Miller did. And then this piece of ...*ahem*... drek... came out.

I could list ASB&R in this thread, but I sold my run long ago to keep the stench of it out of my house.

My expectations for Batman: Odyssey were really low from the start. It was a disappointment nonetheless, but not on the order of magnitude that All-Star B & R #1 was.

BatmanOdyssey1.jpg

As a Bats collector, specifically an Adams Bats collector, I can tell you Odyssey #1-3 (I stopped at #3) is clearly my biggest disappointment. I stopped at #3 because it was starting to sour my memories of the original Adams run on Bats from my childhood.

I remember being disappointed by Contest of Champions. Mini series and big crossovers where a novelty back in the day and the cover of number 1 with all those characters together seemed very cool to me at the time.

Sadly it set the precedent for years to come as far as large "event" type crossovers are concerned :(

Anything Marvel by Bendis or Millar.

Old Man Logan was good.

Ultimate Spidey was good as well.

He re-wrote the history of Spider-man with hip jargon. I refuse to qualify that as good.

And someone remind me that no one uses the word 'jargon' anymore.

When it first came out around issue 3 or so, I read it and hated it. For the same reason you just stated. Probably 50 or so issues later I got a stack of issues cheap and read them not expecting much.

I enjoyed them immensely.Yes, it was a retelling of basically the same story with some twists and updating but I think it worked very well and still enjoy going back and reading them. This wasn't necessarily a Earl Shibe paint job on an old clunker. A good read is a good read is a good read. You should give it a try (again?).

And yes, using the word "jargon" means you are old. :baiting: