• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

As I mentioned in the past, I have been keeping track of the San Francisco books since 1991. Any sale of a book, listing of a book or collector who told me he had a specific issue I have cataloged. So, below is a list of all the San Francisco Copies I have tracked over the last 21 years. That list consists of only 250 books. I am sure many more must exist that I do not know of, but here is the list none-the-less. If anyone can confirm the existance of any San Francisco's not on this list please send me a PM or list them in this thread so I can add them to the list. Thanks!

San Francisco Pedigree List

Action Comics #31, 53, 54, 56, 57, 59, 60, 67, 68, 74, 80

Adventure Comics #82, 83, 85, 90, 92, 93, 95, 96

All Flash #8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 18

All Select Comics #2

All Winners Comics #8, 12

Amazing Mystery Funnies #18

Batman #13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 27

Big All-American Comics #1

Blue Ribbon Comics #13

Captain America Comics #1, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 43

Captain Midnight #23, 25

Daring Mystery Comics #6

Detective Comics #68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 80, 81, 82, 85 ,89

Fantastic Comics #6, 8

Feature Comics #61, 64, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75, 86

Flash Comics #5, 23, 29, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 51, 53, 56, 57, 59, 60, 61, 63, 65

Green Lantern #4, 9, 10, 14

Hangman #3

Human Torch #2(1), 3(2), 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 ,13 ,14 ,15

Leading Comics #3, 4, 5, 13

Marvel Mystery Comics #14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 27, 29, 34, 35, 37, 39, 44, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 52, 54, 55, 57, 60, 62, 63

Master Comics #30

Military Comics # 7, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 27, 28, 39

More Fun Comics #83, 84, 85, 88, 90, 91, 92, 94

Mystic Comics #3, 4, 5, 6, 7

National Comics # 26, 27, 28, 29, 33, 35, 39, 41, 43

Pep Comics #31

Prize Comics #5, 9, 50, 52

Sensation Comics #12, 17, 20, 22, 23, 27, 28, 35, 42, 45, 48, 54

Spirit nn(#1), nn (#2)

Star Spangled Comics #13, 17, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31, 32, 36, 37, 43, 44

Sub-Mariner Comics #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Superman #4, 11, 18

Top-Notch Comics #5, 6, 11, 12, 17, 20, 23

USA #9, 11

Weird Comics #4, 12

Wonder Comics #1

Wonderworld Comics #23

World's Finest Comics #10

Young Allies Comics #1, 2, 3, 4, 5

CENTAUR 1

DC 119

FOX 6

MLJ 10

PRIZE 4

QUALITY 31

TIMELY 76

FAWCETT 3

TOTAL 250

FANTASTIC work West!!! :applause: I can't tell you how helpful this list is!!! I'm positive there are more out there and when I can give you exact issue numbers, I will. This may take me some time, but I WILL have some info for this list in the future (thumbs u

Came on to retrieve some earlier research, but as I was getting ready to depart, I came across this thread. Will state this once again:

MOST of the Tom Reilly comic books had neither the Reilly stamp,

nor had any Gilboy type pencil distributor notations. I wonder what part of this statement some of these self-professed experts do not understand about this simple concept.

Contrary to what one poster here wrote, Bob Selvig and David Belmont were only involved in the first third, NOT the 2nd third, NOR the 3rd third.

The final third showed up right before the 1973 San Diego Comicon as that relative lady had come back across from back east after she learned what crazy big bucks we paid for the first two thirds. Most of that third went dow to SDCC at the show held at the air port that only year.

Burl Rowe (Mr Bedrock got his first job there at Camelot in Houston IIRC) bought the Reilly Whiz #2 (#1) from me over the phone for two grand. A week later he popped $2200 for the Reilly Detective Comics #27. The later book became the first comic book in history to sell for more than two thousand dollars. We garnered a ton of AP/UPI type wire service stories from this sale. Within a month we had bought three more Tec 27 issues as a direct result.

I note there are zero Fawcetts in this list. I know otherwise. There were long runs of Fawcetts as well. Ask Burl Rowe who bought the Whiz One and Tec 27 - personally, i think that big bucks Tec 27 Heritage auctioned off not that long ago might be the Reilly copy. It was not "mint" but close to it.

The late Rick Durell (LA) was a major buyer of the books from the last third. Some of you may be aware of him, most of you probably are not.

When he died Ernie Gerber auctioned off Rick's collection of super high grade comic books. He then used that money to print his Photo Journal guides.

This list is bogus on the face of it, it is woefully incomplete. The collection was sold off some 40 years ago as I write these words. Lots can change in the storage concepts of comic books over such a time span.

The Reillys I have listed in my eBay store were stored in a hot & humid (in the summer) garage for 8 years following the death of the fellow who had purchased them from me in 1973. Like layers of an onion, outer stuff not so well preserved, the inner layers of boxes were much fresher. This collection was completely mixed up from too many "friends" claiming to be helping the person who inherited the holdings. It is what it is.

Sincerely, Robert Beerbohm DBA http://stores.ebay.com/BLBcomics

This list isn't "bogus" in any way. It is simply a list of CGC graded San Francisco Tom Reilly books graded to date, as kept by West. It isn't meant to represent the entire contents of the collection. I personally have stated that I am in no way an expert and don't pretend to be. I'm just a collector who enjoys this "pedigree" and the freshness of the comics it contains. To be clear, it's me Bob, Jim Elsenpeter, who you've done business with for at least 2 decades. You and I have actually talked about the collection in person, in Minneapolis and Chicago. You may get a kick out of this, but I just so happened to buy 2 comics from Bob Selvig last weekend at the Minnesota 2-day show. Neither, however were Reilly copies. As much as I would have liked to, I didn't mention the Reilly collection. I DID talk to him about it a few years ago and he no longer has ANY of the books. I have told you this in the past Bob, but I will now do so publicly: Thank you for finding this collection and bringing it to the masses!! We all appreciate it and the information about it that you've shared over the years!! (thumbs u

Has the question ever been answered as to why there is no mention of a Tom Reilly (or any variant of the name) in the official KIA records of the US Navy during WW2?

I checked ancestry.com a few months ago and he was listed in navy records as being lost at sea. Unless someone beats me to it, I will post the citation when I get to my computer.

I don't know that any of this is new information as I recall discussion of it before, but here is some info.

George Washington High School Yearbook, San Francisco California, 1939

TomReillyYearbook.jpg

WWI, WWII, and Korean War Casualty Listings about Thomas A. Reilly

Name: Thomas A. Reilly

State Registered: Hawaii

Death Date: 28 May 1945

Cemetery: Tablets of the Missing at Honolulu Memorial

Cemetery Burial Plot: Missing in Action or Buried at Sea

Cemetery City: Honolulu

Cemetery Country: Hawaii

War: World War II

Awards: Purple Heart

Title: Seaman, Second Class

Service: U.S. Navy

Service ID: 9274302

Division: United States Naval Reserve

Data Source: World War II Honor Roll

WWI, WWII, and Korean War Casualty Listings about Thomas F. Reilly

Name: Thomas F. Reilly

Death Date: 11 May 1945

Title: Seaman, First Class

Service ID: 8111716

WWI, WWII, and Korean War Casualty Listings about Thomas A. Reilly

Name: Thomas A. Reilly

Death Date: 28 May 1945

Title: Seaman, Second Class

Service ID: 9274302

WWI, WWII, and Korean War Casualty Listings about Thomas F. Reilly

Name: Thomas F. Reilly

Death Date: 11 May 1945

Title: Seaman, First Class

Service ID: 8111716

Is there any info connecting either of these Tom Reillys to the bay area of California?

In the I've-got-nothing-going-on-today vein, Tom Reilly was definitely NOT the Thomas A. (Aloysius) Reilly from Maryland referenced above. He died in a kamikaze attack on the USS Drexler in 1945 but doesn't appear to have a connection to California.

Link

These are the problems that I confronted when researching Tom Reilly. I could find a Tom Reilly in the bay area, but not one that died in the war, and I could find Tom Reillys that died in the war, but none from the bay area.

Yeah, I didn't have much to do today and made a pretty thorough search of genealogy and navy records. I just don't see how this story is accurate. As best I can tell, there were just two Tom/Thomas Reilly's killed in the Pacific during WWII.

Thomas J Reilly was killed on the USS Bunker Hill (Link) in a kamikazee attack but looks to have been from New Jersey.

There may have been a third Tom Reilly killed after the war on the USS Wateree, a tug that sunk in a typhoon in December 1945 with 7 lives lost.

But the 1940 census for California should be indexed in the next couple of years and more and more WWII data comes on line all the time so someone may be able to parse all this out in the near future. The GW High School yearbook certainly shows a Tom Reilly living in the area in 1939.

But there was no shortage of Reillys in the SF area in 1940. link

This really is a fascinating pedigree because there is still so much we don't know about it, and, of course, due to the sad story behind its alleged origins. I participated in a conversation with a major figure in the hobby about 6-7 years ago, and this topic came up. While it is clear that the collection is real and spectacular, he felt that details surrounding the story of Tom Reilly may be apocryphal. It's interesting to hear you mention that "Tom" was a nickname. This would be a complication, but despite all of the resources available, no one has been able to put together all the pieces to corroborate it fully.

I think 40YrsCollctngCmcs was just offering the possibility that Tom was not his given name. Other than the difficulty locating him, there's no evidence to suggest that.