• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 about Thomas H Reilly

Name: Thomas H Reilly

Birth Year: 1922

Race: White, citizen (White)

State of Residence: California

County or City: San Francisco

Enlistment Date: 19 Mar 1943

Enlistment State: California

Enlistment City: Santa Ana

Branch: Air Corps

Branch Code: Air Corps

Grade: Aviation Cadet

Grade Code: Aviation Cadet

Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Component: Reserves - exclusive of Regular Army Reserve and Officers of the Officers Reserve Corps on active duty under the Thomason Act (Officers and Enlisted Men -- O.R.C. and E.R.C., and Nurses-Reserve Status)

Source: Enlisted Reserve or Medical Administrative Corps (MAC) Officer

Education: 1 year of college

Civil Occupation: Skilled linemen and servicemen, telegraph, telephone, and power

Marital Status: Married

Height: 00

Weight: 000

I don't know if that's him, but it's interesting that he enlisted in Santa Ana. I'm at my desk at work right now, on property that was part of the Santa Ana Air Base during WW2. There are still some buildings from the air base on campus, and across the street at the fairgrounds.

Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Component: Reserves - exclusive of Regular Army Reserve and Officers of the Officers Reserve Corps on active duty under the Thomason Act (Officers and Enlisted Men -- O.R.C. and E.R.C., and Nurses-Reserve Status)

Civil Occupation: Skilled linemen and servicemen, telegraph, telephone, and power

I don't know if that's him, but it's interesting that he enlisted in Santa Ana. I'm at my desk at work right now, on property that was part of the Santa Ana Air Base during WW2. There are still some buildings from the air base on campus, and across the street at the fairgrounds.

I should have posted this earlier. I found a woman who had a great deal of information on this Tom and sent her a jpeg of the signature on the books. She said it was definitely NOT his signature.

I'm more convinced than ever that the story behind the collection is a fake.

I should have posted this earlier. I found a woman who had a great deal of information on this Tom and sent her a jpeg of the signature on the books. She said it was definitely NOT his signature.

I did similar research a few years ago, and came to the same conclusion. Awesome books, though.

So, I first learned about this books existence in 1994-1995. I lost out on it back then but saw the book raw when it was graded a few years back. It's one of the freshest, whitest books I've ever seen! The colors are amazing and the black ink is flawless. I'm glad to finally add it to the collection.

sfallflash8.jpg

Insider trading !

:jokealert:

So, I first learned about this books existence in 1994-1995. I lost out on it back then but saw the book raw when it was graded a few years back. It's one of the freshest, whitest books I've ever seen! The colors are amazing and the black ink is flawless. I'm glad to finally add it to the collection.

sfallflash8.jpg

Timely, that is one scary book! Totally beautiful.

sfallflash8.jpg

+1 Congratulations! :applause:

I did similar research a few years ago, and came to the same conclusion. Awesome books, though.

What would have been the rationale for making up the story? Do you think it's not really an OO collection at all? Fascinating, if true.

What would have been the rationale for making up the story? Do you think it's not really an OO collection at all? Fascinating, if true.

This collection was founded so long ago I think some of the "facts" about this collections history may have been told in error. This pedigree collection was founded years before the Mile High collection, the story was probably not meant to last. It was probably 10 years later before it was even thought of as a pedigree in the early 80's.

sfallflash8.jpg

:o Amazing!!!

sfallflash8.jpg

:o Amazing!!!

Just a shame the original art on the cover of this book is so brown and brittle.

Ken

Here is another one I just got. I first saw this comic in 1990 in my friend Donovan's collection. He later sold about half his collection in one of the last Christie's Auctions and I believe this book was in that batch. It's nice to see it again! It brings back lots of old memories when I was young, a little naive and all excited about building my collection.

sfSpirit2.jpg