• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age War comics
15 15

1,407 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2019 at 1:01 AM, Electricmastro said:

Some of the earliest WWII-related covers, from Speed Comics and Amazing-Man Comics.

44492.jpg?5767558948402809120

34105.jpg?5767558948402809120

Good call on the Oct. '39 SPEED cover.  The 26 page Shock Gibson origin story doesn't have specific WWII references that I could detect, but the cover's war inference is clear. (thumbsu

Here's another early WWII cover depicting Stuka dive bombers blitzing a city (Dec. '39, even though swastikas aren't accurately depicted, perhaps intentionally given the US neutrality position at the time)...  

f4f1ef69-b1e5-4c23-86e1-cd4ac7bb54b5_zpsrga1qcjf.jpg.4adbb51daad9ebcc5be21173b901ea9b.jpg

The Angel engages in combat (Europe) in a text story, so the cover does reflect story content to a greater or lesser degree.

17 minutes ago, buttock said:

Here's one for @MrBedrock.  Note the date stamp. 

MVIMG_20191228_080738.jpg

That might be the coolest book I've ever seen on the boards. I am so glad you have it. 

48 minutes ago, buttock said:

Note the date stamp. 

Jan 4.  You're early :baiting:

On 12/28/2019 at 8:39 AM, 707comics said:

Awesome! The annuals have been like finding hens teeth lol

Years ago, I got lucky. There was a time when these had very little interest. I even had one a couple years ago that I just couldn't even sell...

comfightingmanannual.jpg

comgiinbattleannual.jpg

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Years ago, I got lucky. There was a time when these had very little interest. I even had one a couple years ago that I just couldn't even sell...

comfightingmanannual.jpg

comgiinbattleannual.jpg

Nice! I wish I would have been looking for them a few years back lol

I have managed to piece together the full run of 1-9 on G-I battle but have yet to acquire the annual. Someday when the stars align ......

1 minute ago, 707comics said:

Nice! I wish I would have been looking for them a few years back lol

I have managed to piece together the full run of 1-9 on G-I battle but have yet to acquire the annual. Someday when the stars align ......

Nice! I'm still pecking away at the Farrell war books a little at a time. Got most of the ones I really want now just filling holes and upgrading.

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

comfightingmanannual.jpg

comgiinbattleannual.jpg

Same for me.  I sold my undercopy of the GI in Battle annual through heritage last year and was pretty disappointed with the result.  I have 2 high grade copies of the Fighting Man and I'm in no rush to sell the other. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Nice! I'm still pecking away at the Farrell war books a little at a time. Got most of the ones I really want now just filling holes and upgrading.

I didn't even know they had annuals.... learn something new every day around here. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

GREAT COVER ! GREAT CONDITION TOO !

Some of these guys I hope to NOT see their collections come to market.... they're friends and it would mean something bad happened..... but I wouldn't mind at least seeing Dan's or Bob's books.... I'm enjoying seeing Dan post a few. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12