• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church Discovery Movie is Coming

110 posts in this topic

Hello, all.

My crew and I spent all day, Sunday, October 2nd filming, on location, at the Edgar Church house.

After a long process spent with the current owner, I secured permissions to spend the day filming in the basement and outside.

Our project is to create a short film, introducing the feature length screenplay I have written about this turning point in the history of comic book collecting.

I'm hoping to generate some buzz, so I thought I'd see what kind of response a simple post like this one might generate.

We'll be pulling together the footage over the next few weeks.

If/when this thread hits a few hundred page views, I'll be posting a still image or two.

If interest in the thread is strong enough, I may just post a picture of Edgar's office or even that mythical closet.

I hope you'll be excited to learn about this project. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, EXCEPT what's the address. I swore I'd never tell.

Kind regards.

DJ

116082.jpg.e03216817113aff27c90d0508ed95b84.jpg

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, EXCEPT what's the address. I swore I'd never tell.

I'm pretty sure some boardies tracked it down some time ago and took some outside pics. Anyone wanting to find it won't have to look too hard in the land records to do so.

Best of luck on the documentary or fictional film, whichever.

You may be doing a short documentary, and it may be about Edgar Church, but why in the world would you be so coy with the only folks in the entire known universe who would possibly care about your project? Post some images if you have them. It's nothing we haven't all seen before.

Tom Gordon visits Church home.

You may be doing a short documentary, and it may be about Edgar Church, but why in the world would you be so coy with the only folks in the entire known universe who would possibly care about your project? Post some images if you have them. It's nothing we haven't all seen before.

And some of us read the posts ahead of ours before spamming up the joint with reposts. Still drunk from that Texans victory?

I think a documentary about Church would have to be extremely interesting and have some new revelation about the man that was previously unknown to hold the attention of the audience. That audience is also pretty limited. Beyond what is already known about him I'm not sure that there are two many people that really care? (shrug)

I think we might be reaching a threshold of comic collecting where there's a large number of collectors that don't know who he was because they don't collect golden age books. I can't be positive that those collectors would be engaged enough to show the success of this project.

This is pure speculation, but I believe that for many it's not so much the man that is important but what he was able to accumulate. The wikipedia entry for Edgar Church contains approximately the same amount of words as I have used in this very post.

Why a Doc on him?

The discovery of the Edgar Church collection in 1977 is a good inflection point at which to tell the history of comic book collecting, in general.

It's not a documentary about Edgar, it's a narrative film about the hobby and the people who love comics. It's my attempt on a subject, that previous go-rounds like "Comic Book Villians" or "Comic Book Movie" did not fully satisfy.

The story is not about finding a closet full of comics, and cashing in. It's about what happens next. What is the context of the discovery? How did people react to it?

The highest possible aspiration of the film would be "The Social Network". That movie is not about technology. Rather, it's a story of people living their lives, against a specific backdrop. This just happens to be set in the world of comics.

Watching people manage intention and obstacle is the foundation of ALL storytelling.

+1.

I remember reading the story of the discovery of the Church collection on Chuck's Tales from the database blog, and found it fascinating. The same goes for Gary Carter's recollections in CBM.

I think all comic collectors have a bit of a fantasy of stumbling into a horde like this.

Also, I think that there could be some crossover potential for a mainstream audience as it is essentially a treasure hunt story and this surely appeals to many people.

The fact that Chuck was penniless and sleeping in his car when he made the find also makes the story more interesting.

I wish you well, and look forward to seeing the end result.