• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classic Magazine cover thread

249 posts in this topic

latestgrabs0001.jpg

Just a historical note: This one, CREEPY #37, featured my "Cut-Throat Cat" story, which had the final page in color, Warren's first color comic.

My only other comic featuring funny animals was THIS -- Dave Sim's first aardvark story, which I tried unsuccessfully to get Warren to publish.

A-Boy-and-His-Aardvark-1.jpg

A-Boy-and-His-Aardvark-2.jpg

A-Boy-and-His-Aardvark-3.jpg

A-Boy-and-His-Aardvark-4.jpg

A-Boy-and-His-Aardvark-5.jpg

Best -- T. Casey Brennan

Picked up a nice copy of this Warren mail-away issue. Some really nice psychedelic style art by Morato. Book was thicker than I expected and also of note, while this is supposed to be one of the rarer Warrens, I seem to see one listed on ebay once every couple of months. Wharehouse find maybe? confused-smiley-013.gif

1774195-WarrenDraculaBook1.jpg

1774195-WarrenDraculaBook1.jpg.252b116ddaaa571edab8ac8c662f2254.jpg

Something pretty cool to me, the UK editions of Nightmare.

Seller stated that there were only 3 issues, can any UK collector verify this?

Number one has the cover to #17 of the US version. The second issue uses the cover to the Nightmare 73 Winter Special

while the third issue has totally new art which is neat to see! Not HG but interesting for the Skywald completeist! (thumbs u

42093-Nightmare1UKEdition.jpg.5d634fafc3773d939833dc9621818a76.jpg

42094-Nightmare2UKEdition.jpg.2b08ba3908449562646abf4aa3d80876.jpg

42095-Nightmare3UKEdition.jpg.ae50860c495bb900cfdb41467d9c8f9e.jpg

Jayman,

I am that seller!

I'm certain there were only 3 issues. I've never seen any others. An internet search doesn't reveal much about them, but I've gathered what I know from other eBay sellers. As you know, they're not even dated. Just remembered they get a very brief mention in Stephen Sennitt's 'Ghastly Terror' book, saying they were published in the mid-1970's and ran for 3 issues. Top Sellers also published three UK editions of PSYCHO, in the same vein. I have all six of these mags. I can't upload any images due to problems with webspace, sorry.

Of course there were various foreign Skywald editions published round the world, but these have the advantage of being in English, obviously! And they differ from the Australian editions, which were page-for-page copies of the US versions, minus the US ads, with different numbering. I have one Aussie Nightmare mag.

The UK in the 70's also had several Marvel horror mag reprints, which were mixed-up versions of Vampire Tales, Tales of the Zombie, Monsters Unleashed etc, usually reprinting those classic covers. And a brief 4-issue run of Vampirella in 1975, featuring original Warren stories re-printed in colour, prior to the 1977 Special.

Hope this helps!

Jayman,

I am that seller!

I'm certain there were only 3 issues. I've never seen any others. An internet search doesn't reveal much about them, but I've gathered what I know from other eBay sellers. As you know, they're not even dated. Just remembered they get a very brief mention in Stephen Sennitt's 'Ghastly Terror' book, saying they were published in the mid-1970's and ran for 3 issues. Top Sellers also published three UK editions of PSYCHO, in the same vein. I have all six of these mags. I can't upload any images due to problems with webspace, sorry.

Of course there were various foreign Skywald editions published round the world, but these have the advantage of being in English, obviously! And they differ from the Australian editions, which were page-for-page copies of the US versions, minus the US ads, with different numbering. I have one Aussie Nightmare mag.

The UK in the 70's also had several Marvel horror mag reprints, which were mixed-up versions of Vampire Tales, Tales of the Zombie, Monsters Unleashed etc, usually reprinting those classic covers. And a brief 4-issue run of Vampirella in 1975, featuring original Warren stories re-printed in colour, prior to the 1977 Special.

Hope this helps!

Hi and Welcome To The Boards! :hi:

Want to thank you again for a smooth transaction!

I was aware of the Australian, French and Spanish versions but never saw the UK before and the new art to issue 3 is a treat! I'll have to look again to see if there are any inside credits as to who is the cover artist. I helped compile the scans (books from my collection) for the Headpress book Skywald horror-mood. The publisher mentioned that there might be an interest at some point to do a follow up book based on the foreign editions. Thanks for the info.

BTW: If you have or could locate any of the UK Vampi issues I would be interested! (thumbs u

This is pretty cool! From 1968 comes a mag with Gil Kane at the reigns. His attempt to put out a more "adult" book. The cover illustration is obviously modeled after actor Lee Marvin. Gil Kane art throughout the book with no cover credits, (wonder if Gil did the painting also?)

Jay, Kane was going to do a horror mag to go along with SAVAGE, but never got around to getting it published. hi.gif

Wonder what happened, as Savage! # 1 turned out to be the only issue published! confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif

Don't know why it fell through, but I have copies of some of the original art! (From the unreleased horror mag, that is. Not Savage.) grin.gif

acclaim.gif

I might be mistaken, but I think some of the original art from the unpublished His Name is Savage #2 is out there too.