• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 (1938) CGC 9.0 on the census

398 posts in this topic

The Church copy is still the #1 Action #1 book out there. You can bet anything that it won't be up for sale anytime soon. So as a potential buyer of this 9.0 copy, you gotta ask yourself do I go all in on this and win it by all means or do I put a price in mind that I am comfortable in paying and if it goes above that then I'd let it slide.

This goes against the conventional wisdom of the board, but when actual prices are in the multi-million dollar range (as opposed to ads making offers), all bets are off as to what potentially might or might not be sold -- or what might turn up. That's real money for anyone.

Consider that 2 of the top 3 slabbed copies (this 9.0 and the KC) were not even on anybody's (public) radar as being among the top copies before the first million dollar sale in 2010. And when this book is sold, all of the top 3 slabbed copies (and 4 of the top 6, I believe) will have changed hands since the KC pushed past a million.

There are also some interesting reevaluations going on as to the pecking order of the top copies in response to this 9.0 development. I was just told by someone I respect of another very high grade copy which I don't believe has ever been discussed here.

Of course, it's all unconfirmed until (and if) books get slabbed -- I'm sure many boardies here have heard plenty of stories, and you know the major dealers have leads on long-term collections that they're holding close. But as we seem to be pushing into the multi-million dollar level, it would not surprise me to see additional high grade copies come to public light.

The Church copy is still the #1 Action #1 book out there. You can bet anything that it won't be up for sale anytime soon. So as a potential buyer of this 9.0 copy, you gotta ask yourself do I go all in on this and win it by all means or do I put a price in mind that I am comfortable in paying and if it goes above that then I'd let it slide.

This goes against the conventional wisdom of the board, but when actual prices are in the multi-million dollar range (as opposed to ads making offers), all bets are off as to what potentially might or might not be sold -- or what might turn up. That's real money for anyone.

Consider that 2 of the top 3 slabbed copies (this 9.0 and the KC) were not even on anybody's (public) radar as being among the top copies before the first million dollar sale in 2010. And when this book is sold, all of the top 3 slabbed copies (and 4 of the top 6, I believe) will have changed hands since the KC pushed past a million.

There are also some interesting reevaluations going on as to the pecking order of the top copies in response to this 9.0 development. I was just told by someone I respect of another very high grade copy which I don't believe has ever been discussed here.

Of course, it's all unconfirmed until (and if) books get slabbed -- I'm sure many boardies here have heard plenty of stories, and you know the major dealers have leads on long-term collections that they're holding close. But as we seem to be pushing into the multi-million dollar level, it would not surprise me to see additional high grade copies come to public light.

I'm sure there's more than a few unknown hg copies out there. That have been stashed and down the road they will come to light. I think the cage copy was speculated as a VF. Turned out a 9.0

Here are my thoughts on what this will sell for. I can't afford it so I don't care. :)

Congrats though to whoever can afford it and wins this piece of history. I agree that this is a museum quality piece and would love to see it in such a place for the public to enjoy.

My philosophy has always been if you are not a player then you ain't in the game. If you ain't in the game how can you possibly know what is happening (shrug)

In other words, I would love to hear an opinion from someone that will be an active/legit bidder for this copy (and no I ain't saying nothing so I am already in my place)

My philosophy has always been if you are not a player then you ain't in the game. If you ain't in the game how can you possibly know what is happening (shrug)

In other words, I would love to hear an opinion from someone that will be an active/legit bidder for this copy (and no I ain't saying nothing so I am already in my place)

Party pooper! :baiting:

Party pooper! :baiting:
just having some fun lol No one has a clue so it is all just guessing. Entertaining , really

I think the Cage copy was speculated as a VF. Turned out a 9.0

1) Color breaking bump to the top of the spine

2) Color breaking crease upper right FC

3) Visible stress lines at and below the lower staple

4) Nick out of the lower front edge of the cover

5) Triangular dust shadow lower FC.

Even ignoring that white spot above the logo, it is a VF. It just happens to be in a slab that says 9.0.

Action_1_Unslabbed.jpg

Action_1_Unslabbed_BC.jpg

Action_1_Slabbed_FC.jpg

I know of a copy that was screwed together into a lucite case that I don't believe has ever seen the public eye. I was a teenager when I held it and it was amazing. It belonged to a friends dad and my friend had to sneak it out of his dad's office to be able to show it to me. One of those bragging things kids do.

Guys, I know this will wreak havok here... But check that top right corner. If it were to be pressed out, any votes on a 9.2? :o

The crease still exists ipso facto it cannot be pressed out

Be careful, the little people are going to start calling you an elitist soon if you keep making (totally accurate) comments like this! (tsk)

I think what's really incredible is that despite being stolen and improperly stored (based on what I have read here) that it still came back a 9.0....I imagine a lot of times, when books/art gets stolen, it gets mishandled.

it had cream pages already per sotheby's.

Well, it looks like the hot humid weather in Southern Cal must have improved the page quality of the book. lol

On the other hand, I guess CGC is much more lax than the Sotheby's grading committee in terms of both condition grading and PQ determination. hm

Be careful, the little people are going to start calling you an elitist soon if you keep making (totally accurate) comments like this! (tsk)

I think folks know that ain't the case lol . I already put myself in place as one of the "little people" hehe.

I was really only commenting on how "serious" some of the discussion/interaction was and no one (especially me!) can argue any price unless one is basing it on their ability and willingness to participate and bid otherwise just harmless speculation

That said I will likely be throwing in a near 7 fig "thrill" bid :baiting: