• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 (1938) CGC 9.0 on the census

398 posts in this topic

Even ignoring that white spot above the logo, it is a VF. It just happens to be in a slab that says 9.0.

I'd call it an 8.5. One thing is for sure, its not a borderline 9.2!

I once had a conversation with Steve B. where we discussed the gulf that exists between 8.5 and 9.0. He said it was one of his regrets that there was no way to add one more notch between 8.5 and 9.0, since a great many books seem to land there. With a book like Action 1, it isn't really fair to call it 8.5 if it's truly better. It's certainly a VERY nice 8.5....in hand the gloss and suppleness may very well give it a nudge that bumps it up.The spine looks great and 3 of the corners seem exceptionally sharp.....to me, from the pictures, it looks at least as nice as the other 8.5. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Does anyone know when Cage bought it and how much his purchase price was?

the book sold at the 1992 Sotheby's auction for $82,500

source: http://itsalljustcomics.com/2011/10/11/cgc-9-0-action-comics-1-for-sale-comicconnect-in-november-welcome-to-the-world-of-2000000-comic-books/

Neither Cage nor Metro were the winning bidder in that auction. Cage bought it later for an undisclosed sum.

My philosophy has always been if you are not a player then you ain't in the game. If you ain't in the game how can you possibly know what is happening (shrug)

In other words, I would love to hear an opinion from someone that will be an active/legit bidder for this copy (and no I ain't saying nothing so I am already in my place)

Be careful, the little people are going to start calling you an elitist soon if you keep making (totally accurate) comments like this! (tsk)

I think folks know that ain't the case lol . I already put myself in place as one of the "little people" hehe.

I was really only commenting on how "serious" some of the discussion/interaction was and no one (especially me!) can argue any price unless one is basing it on their ability and willingness to participate and bid otherwise just harmless speculation

That said I will likely be throwing in a near 7 fig "thrill" bid :baiting:

Harmless speculation rulez! :whee:

source: http://itsalljustcomics.com/2011/10/11/cgc-9-0-action-comics-1-for-sale-comicconnect-in-november-welcome-to-the-world-of-2000000-comic-books/

It's kind of amazing (no pun intended) to realize that the WM AF 15 sold for $40K (only a bit under half of the Action 1 price) a year later.

As much as AF 15 has run up in price, can anyone imagine that any 9.4 AF 15 (WM or not) would come anywhere close to half what this Action 1 will sell for?

Neither Cage nor Metro were the winning bidder in that auction. Cage bought it later for an undisclosed sum.

Still that's an insane return on the price paid just 19 years ago.

I think some people are treating this book as if it was a new ASM 9.8 popping up on the census. A .5 grade bump at the seven figure level is not going to get the same kind of multiple increase in value that a four or five figure book might get.

This is a completely different playing field with only a handful of players. 2 Mil is an amazing number and if it gets that it will be incredible for the hobby. 1.75 is probably more realistic---especially if it really does sell in an auction format.

The 8.0 = 1m

The 8.5= 1.5m

Merely a 1/2 point, both 7 figure books and a 50% increase in price. For all we know this book might follow a similar $500k increase per half grade bump "pattern".

Well, since my number has always been #22. I'm going to hope this book sells for $2,222,222.22. That would be swell.

It's kind of amazing (no pun intended) to realize that the WM AF 15 sold for $40K (only a bit under half of the Action 1 price) a year later.

As much as AF 15 has run up in price, can anyone imagine that any 9.4 AF 15 (WM or not) would come anywhere close to half what this Action 1 will sell for?

There were two bidders that were willing to MANNUP for the AF15. The underbidder, who was very disappointed, got a nicer copy for only 25k shortly after the auction. He was an investor looking for SA keys who, as far as I know, has been out of the market for years.

There were two bidders that were willing to MANNUP for the AF15. The underbidder, who was very disappointed, got a nicer copy for only 25k shortly after the auction. He was an investor looking for SA keys who, as far as I know, has been out of the market for years.

You can't count on the same thing occuring with an Action 1. The number of existing copies is exponentially higher with AF15. At any given moment there are always a dozen or more available on ebay and hundreds if not thousands available via dealers. And as much as anyone can say it is rare in high grade I have seen more copies than I could possibly count which appeared to me to be newsstand new. Compared to only two such copies that I've seen of Action 1. If AF15 were as scarce as Action 1 its price might be significantly higher. But it just isn't scare.

You can't count on the same thing occuring with an Action 1. The number of existing copies is exponentially higher with AF15. At any given moment there are always a dozen or more available on ebay and hundreds if not thousands available via dealers. And as much as anyone can say it is rare in high grade I have seen more copies than I could possibly count which appeared to me to be newsstand new. Compared to only two such copies that I've seen of Action 1. If AF15 were as scarce as Action 1 its price might be significantly higher. But it just isn't scare.

That's why it was interesting to see the subsequent rise in price of these books juxtaposed like this. In looking at historical trends, I tend to look less at dollar amounts and focus more on pricing relationships.

Everyone correctly perceives AF 15 as having skyrocketed in price during the past 20 years (that $40K purchase would be worth around $300K today, which is not chump change), but it's been left in the dust by Action 1, which has increased in price at a much higher rate. The gap between these 2 books has significantly widened from being a bit more than 2:1 to 5:1 or higher.

I bet you were oozing in hand, yourself! :P:baiting:
I was wishing I had more money... And both hands were on the book so I wasn't able to ooze myself lol

OK so you didn't ooze yourself. Sounds like you really inspected the book "hard" though, as you said. Hopefully the guys at metro weren't too put off by "mini-gator" popping up :baiting:

Between the hard inspection and the oozing that post was definitely a nominate for the double entendre thread :)lol

I bet you were oozing in hand, yourself! :P:baiting:
I was wishing I had more money... And both hands were on the book so I wasn't able to ooze myself lol

OK so you didn't ooze yourself. Sounds like you really inspected the book "hard" though, as you said. Hopefully the guys at metro weren't too put off by "mini-gator" popping up :baiting:

Between the hard inspection and the oozing that post was definitely a nominate for the double entendre thread :)lol

It's all going to be on youtube tonight....as part of the advertising blitz :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u