• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

That's why I love the boards. From Schmell's ads in ospg etc you could easily think that he is a big time legit dealer, but from this and other threads it seems that he is in fact a grade a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Sounds to me like you handled it right. I hate the fact that you make the investment in setting up your booth only for this guy to just be a parasite. Security should have thrown him out on his arse. :mad:

You would be a winner.

ing was used a couple of times.

What a P.O.S. I wish I was around and someone tried to pull that krap at your booth. That kind of sheet gets my blood pressure up and I wasn't even there. Sorry that kind of nonsense happened to someone like you.

DR.X

After consulting with my attorney it was recommended that I not punch people in the face.

However I was given a pretty funny response by another good dealer friend.

He said if Doug had put down the book at his booth on top of his boxes he would have picked it up and thrown it in the aisle.

I said I wish I would have thought of that.

The picture of Doug's face as the book went sailing into the aisle would have been priceless :devil:

damn [ex-]lawyers.

Disbarred lawyer, Counselor. Don't want the uninformed thinking good ol' Doug just decided to hang 'em up and be a funny book dealer.

Unanimously by five justices on appeal...

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-supreme-court-appellate-division/1022446.html

I find it interesting that in his disbarment hearings it reads:

...believed at least some of his actions were the result of his “inexperience in, and ignorance of the rules regarding, escrow accounts.”

He really seems to like the "Gee, I didn't know" defense. doh! He seems to have a continual ignorance of the rules in many areas.

After consulting with my attorney it was recommended that I not punch people in the face.

However I was given a pretty funny response by another good dealer friend.

He said if Doug had put down the book at his booth on top of his boxes he would have picked it up and thrown it in the aisle.

I said I wish I would have thought of that.

The picture of Doug's face as the book went sailing into the aisle would have been priceless :devil:

It was a book being sold AT your table, correct? Isn't it then - somebody more legal than me chime in - by definition being sold by you (either your book or being sold by you for somebody else)? You should have taken the book and put it behind your table.

Wow, Doug is a very classy guy. :screwy:

I'm surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be) that he's so completely self-absorbed and tactless that he'd even think about doing something like that, much less not even realizing how wrong his actions were.

You handled yourself very well, and as a customer, I wouldn't have even looked at the list while engaged in a discussion with you.

he's so completely self-absorbed

This.

There is an extreme type of narcissism that makes it impossible for the offending narcissist to even think of doing anything other than whatever is on his or her mind that will benefit him or her in the short run. You can hear it in the response - "This might be my only chance to do business with this person." Good times.

I have seen this type of thing at shows before - especially when people are selling books - and someone in a nearby booth hollers over "Don't sell until you show them to me." But this one takes the cake.

Doug is a classy guy. Here is another true story (names and details redacted).

I slab a key book, it comes back in a very high grade. In that grade it's worth five figures. I show it to a dealer who agrees to approach a customer about selling it at a certain price. In the meantime, Doug gets wind of the book I have and also approaches the same customer. He represents that he owns the book and would trade or sell it for a number slightly higher than my asking price. Customer is rightfully confused. Keep in mind that:

1. I don't know Doug. At all. Never talked to him or did business with him in my life.

2. He had never seen or touched the book, let alone owned it.

A real gem he is.

I slab a key book, it comes back in a very high grade. In that grade it's worth five figures. I show it to a dealer who agrees to approach a customer about selling it at a certain price. In the meantime, Doug gets wind of the book I have and also approaches the same customer. He represents that he owns the book and would trade or sell it for a number slightly higher than my asking price. Customer is rightfully confused. Keep in mind that:

1. I don't know Doug. At all. Never talked to him or did business with him in my life.

A real gem he is.

Anyone have a pic of this guy?

DR.X

A real gem he is.

that's pretty unbelievable.

damn [ex-]lawyers.

Disbarred lawyer, Counselor. Don't want the uninformed thinking good ol' Doug just decided to hang 'em up and be a funny book dealer.

Unanimously by five justices on appeal...

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-supreme-court-appellate-division/1022446.html

it's even worse, he wound up doing worse on appeal than the panel had recommended. he/his lawyer must have really ticked the appellate judges off!

A real gem he is.

That's happened to me in the OA arena as both a buyer and a seller, not with Doug.

Money is way too important to some people.

A real gem he is.

that's pretty unbelievable.

I was not pleased, to say the least.

You handled it pretty well there. Even in this outrageous instance it is not ok to just pop Doug in the mouth, and as he has a background in law would think he would file both civil and criminal charges.

But I kind of love the idea of frisbee the book down the aisle that he had plopped down onto your inventory. There would be that classic frozen in time open mouth shock on Dougs face as well as appluase from any vendor that saw what took place.

A real gem he is.

someone should keep track of this stuff. one of these days, if his comic biz dries up, he might try to get reinstated to the bar and while the move with blazingbob was plain dikheaded, this kind of stuff is borderline fraudulent and would keep him from getting reinstated.