• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
69 69

63,908 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, the blob said:

I still don't understand where all this four digit spending is coming from. I understand $5 books becoming $20-50 books because of extra money. 

I’m pretty certain it’s a lot of people who kept their jobs during the pandemic and are rediscovering the things they loved when they were kids. Some of which may be ignorant to previously realized prices, print runs or census numbers. 

Saving gas money, eating in, refinancing mortgages, and less expenses for daycare (early on) allowed for that money to enter our hobby and a few others. It has also helped expedite the Rule of 25 in some cases. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

4 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I’m pretty certain it’s a lot of people who kept their jobs during the pandemic and are rediscovering the things they loved when they were kids. Some of which may be ignorant to previously realized prices, print runs or census numbers. 

Saving gas money, eating in, refinancing mortgages, and less expenses for daycare (early on) allowed for that money to enter our hobby and a few others. It has also helped expedite the Rule of 25 in some cases. 

I have all those things being a positive for me. I am an upper middle class earner. (OK, at the bottom end of upper middle class.) I am no doubt saving money during the pandemic. hundreds of dollars each month. it doesn't cause me to drop $2500 on a book that was $800 not long ago. It has totally made me think about buying $15-25-50-$150 books I might not have thought about before. Absolutely. Is it really some well off folks taking ALL of their $5,000 or whatever covid savings and plowing them into a couple of books? How many of these people are there?

41 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

Now I’m curious what these shenanigans were hm

just read Mile High chuck's stories on the mile high website. basically some folks were not "destroying" returns they had submitted affidavits saying they were destroying were sending those returns back into the market as back issues. mile high ii was an example of a huge illegal stockpile of these books. he bought a wrehouse of them and started selling them as his own pedigree in the very early 80s? i think, but do not know, that the comic companies started getting a little tighter about returns after this. 

Edited by the blob

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

it doesn't cause me to drop $2500 on a book that was $800 not long ago.

New money in the hobby or the pulls of nostalgia don’t know or care if it was an $800 book not that long ago.

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

Is it really some well off folks taking ALL of their $5,000 or whatever covid savings and plowing them into a couple of books?

Not comic related, but with Covid savings, and both my wife and I being very fortunate/successful in our careers this year, we’ve made a few purchases that may have likely taken some time to save up for in the before times. It’s very likely, IMO, that some single or childless guy or girl in a similar situation would drop that money on comics or a hobby they enjoy. 

Now that I think about it, I did buy two NFT collections that I would not have if it wasn’t for the Covid savings. I had no plans on selling to flip until the NFT madness that is going on now.

Edited by awakeintheashes

well, i don't have any $2500 books to sell, so I won't be able to do any customer surveys to determine why they're feeling flush. my hulk 2 might be $2500 if i get it in a slab, but that isn't the kind of book we're talking about

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Let me know when I can come by and buy your long boxes

I'll bring lunch!

I tried this last week and he said something like "what longboxes?" (shrug)

:devil:

:headbang:

6 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Even Uncanny X-Men 282 (First Bishop) is fetching $400 in 9.8 now.  The madness is upon us

I'm sorry WUT ?!

My dealer friend has long boxes full of X-Men 282. I find it hard to believe demand finally caught up to the ungodly supply of that book.

6 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Is that the case for all newstands? Like even first Jubilee?

No one knows this to be true. It is possible, at some point, that was the ratio, but no one can say for what issue. They are not incentive variants but many of the later ones have much lower print runs. At the time of UXM 244, they were far more equal. Newsstands are generally in worse shape because of the manner in which they were sold, unbagged, not boarded and handled by an unscrupulous clerk or put on a conveyor belt with grocery residue. Furthermore, newsstands were bought by a more mixed reader than the sort that buy from comic stores. Much of the premium of early newsstands is because of this treatment while later newsstands suffer some of the same and have miniscule print runs.

30 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Is that the case for all newstands? Like even first Jubilee?

No. This was earlier. You can look on eBay and see lots of them. It seems like even though everyone and his sister bought 10-100 copies of the "new" x-men book, it was not pushed at newsstands. Newsies in general for marvel from then are hardly rare, but for that title, maybe? 

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

No. This was earlier. You can look on eBay and see lots of them. It seems like even though everyone and his sister bought 10-100 copies of the "new" x-men book, it was not pushed at newsstands. Newsies in general for marvel from then are hardly rare, but for that title, maybe? 

25-50% of the 244s for sale look like newsies

3 hours ago, the blob said:

just read Mile High chuck's stories on the mile high website. basically some folks were not "destroying" returns they had submitted affidavits saying they were destroying were sending those returns back into the market as back issues. mile high ii was an example of a huge illegal stockpile of these books. he bought a wrehouse of them and started selling them as his own pedigree in the very early 80s? i think, but do not know, that the comic companies started getting a little tighter about returns after this. 

Not really. I don't think things ever changed much.

16 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Not really. I don't think things ever changed much.

We never heard about a mile high III. With that said, I think titles like x-men that sold as back issues were more likely for shenanigans. Cap was an instant 25 cent box book then.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

We never heard about a mile high III. With that said, I think titles like x-men that sold as back issues were more likely for shenanigans. Cap was an instant 25 cent box book then.

lol Well, most people don't openly discuss their acquisitions of large amount of stolen goods for some strange reason.

Most groups of "returns" making their way back into the market were undoubtedly smaller than MHII, but how many of them have there been?

6 hours ago, HotKey said:

I'm curious how many dollar boxes will be out, will dealers start holding them at home waiting for keys to hit or keep putting them out for bulk?

Just sold 67 boxes of bulk $1 stuff for $30 per yesterday. I was at a show last weekend and there were TONS of dollar boxes out and most of them were for sale at the end of the show for $30 each.