• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Batman 609 is criminally undervalued book. Was shocked to see its price a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger on a copy last week. Very glad I got in before the storm. 

Edit: just checked MCS - all the copies on consignment are up _significantly_ since I was there Friday (US Thursday evening). 

Edited by Arkham

DMZ trailer debuted yesterday. I don't see ebay prices increasing, but the show starts next week. Looks like the show has a different premise than the book and is a limited series.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:16 AM, Hekla said:

DMZ trailer debuted yesterday. I don't see ebay prices increasing, but the show starts next week. Looks like the show has a different premise than the book and is a limited series.

They will probably completely destroy the source material like the creators on Y: The Last Man.  1 season and cancelled.  Too hard to just stick with the source material that fans enjoyed throughout the comic series.  Time will tell but I don't have high hopes.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:28 AM, gradejunky said:

They will probably completely destroy the source material like the creators on Y: The Last Man.  1 season and cancelled.  Too hard to just stick with the source material that fans enjoyed throughout the comic series.  Time will tell but I don't have high hopes.

BKV was an Executive Producer on Y the Last Man.
DMZ is a limited series so they are already starting out saying it won't be long running.

On 3/9/2022 at 11:53 AM, ygogolak said:

BKV was an Executive Producer on Y the Last Man.
DMZ is a limited series so they are already starting out saying it won't be long running.

Unless it's successful...

On 3/10/2022 at 2:28 AM, gradejunky said:

Well Matty Roth won't be appearing - it's all about Zee.

DMZ was the story of Matty Roth, so DMZ is as much DMZ as Y-The Last man , was Y-The last Man.

I wish they wouldn't do these shows unless they do the book as written. There is a common denominator in each TV show regarding the glaring exclusions. If you have read the entire runs - you will know what it is.

And it's sad.

On 3/9/2022 at 4:21 PM, Beige said:

Well Matty Roth won't be appearing - it's all about Zee.

DMZ was the story of Matty Roth, so DMZ is as much DMZ as Y-The Last man , was Y-The last Man.

I wish they wouldn't do these shows unless they do the book as written. There is a common denominator in each TV show regarding the glaring exclusions. If you have read the entire runs - you will know what it is.

And it's sad.

The Marvel MCU movies are some of the most successful of all time and they are loose adaptations of stories and characters from the comic books.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, ygogolak said:

The Marvel MCU movies are some of the most successful of all time and they are loose adaptations of stories and characters from the comic books.

The MCU movies are based on ongoing, effectively-infinite characters with a long history and a huge variety of stories. The shows mentioned are based on finite, self-contained, finished stories.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:54 PM, Arkham said:

Batman 609 is criminally undervalued book. Was shocked to see its price a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger on a copy last week. Very glad I got in before the storm. 

Edit: just checked MCS - all the copies on consignment are up _significantly_ since I was there Friday (US Thursday evening). 

With 9.8 or higher more than 3x the 9.6 pop and more on the way with everyone like me now sending in their many copies, my opinion is the book is near it's ceiling.  A lot more of these will hit the census and market  this year.. The question is is how much it hold it's gains hold over the next 3-6 months. Please note I am NOT referring to the newsstand. 

Something some here may forget in Dec 2002/Jan 2003 when this book hit the shops  "Hush"  had huge hype. Shops ordered it in great quantities.  Collectors like me were purchasing 5-10 copies. The light color background means a lot of 9.8's  I would not be surprised if 1 year from now the 9.8 population is in 4 figures. I'd say sooner but not with current TAT's

While I do want and am rooting you to be right,  as i could trade (I don't sell comics but never say never) 4 of my 5 almost certain  9.8 copies for a nice Bronze or Silver age book, logically I do not think it will grow all that much. In this case whether I'm right or you are its win-win for me :)

Again this post does not refer to the newsstand edition.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Batman 609 (1/03, D.C. Comics)
            1st appearance of Tommy Elliot (Hush). Poison Ivy & Huntress appearance.
Universal 1,031 9.68   3 690 209 64 27 25 7 3   2 1                        
Edited by MAR1979

On 3/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, MAR1979 said:

With 9.8 or higher more than 3x the 9.6 pop and more on the way with everyone like me now sending in their many copies, my opinion is the book is near it's ceiling.  A lot more of these will hit the census and market  this year.. The question is is how much it hold it's gains hold over the next 3-6 months. Please note I am NOT referring to the newsstand. 

Something some here may forget in Dec 2002/Jan 2003 when this book hit the shops  "Hush"  had huge hype. Shops ordered it in great quantities.  Collectors like me were purchasing 5-10 copies. The light color background means a lot of 9.8's  I would not be surprised if 1 year from now the 9.8 population is in 4 figures. I'd say sooner but not with current TAT's

While I do want and am rooting you to be right,  as i could trade (I don't sell comics but never say never) 4 of my 5 almost certain  9.8 copies for a nice Bronze or Silver age book, logically I do not think it will grow all that much. In this case whether I'm right or you are its win-win for me :)

Again this post does not refer to the newsstand edition.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Batman 609 (1/03, D.C. Comics)
            1st appearance of Tommy Elliot (Hush). Poison Ivy & Huntress appearance.
Universal 1,031 9.68   3 690 209 64 27 25 7 3   2 1                        

A good point that is well made!

The census data you have shared above represents effectively 1% of ComicChron's estimated print-run

My post was way too minimal in effort - when I said "criminally undervalued", what I really meant was "it's the only 1st app of a Batman character widely available in 9.8 for less than US$499 on eBay that I have seen".  One of my focuses is 1st apps of Bat-related villains. In the past two years in particular (like nearly every typical or mainstream category/focus in the hobby, I guess) it's become nearly impossible to get a 9.8 of a modern book featuring the 1st app of a minor character for less than US$500 (and currency conversion is not my friend). So I was very surprised, given all that hyyyyype for Hush back in the day, to see Tommy Elliot's 1st app regularly priced between $150 and $175. 

Edited by Arkham

On 3/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, PeterPark said:

It's gotta be a pretty serious "misprint" to pulp the run...no rumblings about what it actually was?

Based on an Amazon review, it sounds like the page featuring the big villain reveal is missing. Instead, there is a random page in its place.