• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I think some of you forget the hate that the slab represents to some collectors. Some modern collectors will never buy a slab even to crack out and read. I run into them at shows and I respect their opinion whether I agree with it or not doesnt matter. They view slabbing as a detriment to our hobby not a bonus.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I forgot to mention Fatale # 2 is headed back for a 2nd printing and Fatale #1 is headed back for a 3rd printing! I wonder if their going to do the Beast cover for Fatale #1 3rd printing or do another Beauty?

I would prefer a different cover myself. Would love to know print runs on first books as well.

I forgot to mention Fatale # 2 is headed back for a 2nd printing and Fatale #1 is headed back for a 3rd printing! I wonder if their going to do the Beast cover for Fatale #1 3rd printing or do another Beauty?

I would prefer a different cover myself. Would love to know print runs on first books as well.

20,515 for the first issue.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/markets/22085.html

I think some of you forget the hate that the slab represents to some collectors. Some modern collectors will never buy a slab even to crack out and read. I run into them at shows and I respect their opinion whether I agree with it or not doesnt matter. They view slabbing as a detriment to our hobby not a bonus.

Still doesn't explain paying 3x the amount of the average raw copy.

20,515 for the first issue.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/markets/22085.html

cool site! Thanks!

So...if the 2:1 ratio is correct, that means 6838 or so of the Beast cover, and 13,676 of Beauty.

I am interested to see how much the numbers drop on issue 2...and then how much they go up on issue 3.

Edited by jjeanius

i thought the consensus was that issues 2-4 drop then they pick back up. i think the cover of 4 is going to cause a stampede. i may order 50 of them. Seems like they enjoy doing 2nd and 3rd printings.

Edited by krighton

Perhaps.

I don't see the fascination with the cover to issue 4. It's cool, and it's creepy, but I don't think it will have any effect on sales.

Maybe I also just have a tendency to look at covers as an art collector. I just know that I would never hang that one on my wall. There's just not much to it.

prophet 21 only had a 6k print run...wonder what the split on that one is since there was 2 covers.

and what the heck is up with Batman #4 at only 2800? must be a 2nd printing or variant not sure how to read that on the chart.

Edited by krighton

prophet 21 only had a 6k print run...wonder what the split on that one is since there was 2 covers.

and what the heck is up with Batman #4 at only 2800? must be a 2nd printing or variant not sure how to read that on the chart.

I think those Batman #4 numbers are reorders from the previous month.

Nope that is just stupidity. Slabbers and Raw buyers tend to have that one in common sometimes.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Nope that is just stupidity. Slabbers and Raw buyers tend to have that one in common sometimes.

:signfunny:

lol

Agreed.

Unfortunately I am sometimes a member. doh!

Don't get me wrong. It's a great sale if you can get it. It's just that it's definitely an outlier and there must have been some other reason why they would overpay so much.

It was the only raw copy up at the time. Looking at the buyer's activity, he was obviously quickly trying to put together a run of TWD.

I was a bit shocked when it sold. I priced it that high so that it wouldn't sell. However, I took my eye off the market for the book for about 2 weeks and it was the only raw out there. And the slabbed copies were all slightly higher.

Whenever I put copies of this book out there, I've always priced it higher than the market and it has always sold. This time, I put it way higher expecting it not to sell, but as always, it sold.

Regarding the slabbed vs raw - There are a few things to consider:

1. Already mentioned hatred for slabs among collectors

2. Lack of knowledge on the part of buyers - Some people just may not understand slabbing and don't even consider it because that's not how a comic "should" look. They may think you can't crack them out. Hell, I own slabs, but I'd never crack them open because I don't know how and I'd be afraid to screw up the book. Many people buying TWD are not regular comic collectors and therefore wouldn't understand slabs.

The simple fact regarding TWD is that this book transcends the audience of just the usual comic book nerds. There are people who've never read comics who are loving this book and trying to put together runs of this because they love it. When that happens, we are bound to see some weird ongoings and things that shock us who regularly watch the comic market.

Edited by 400yrs