• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

I hate to say it but according to what's trending on my website Lyria Exchange For Modern Age Comics - it appears that every Superior Spider-Man variant is what people are desperately watching/buying.

Amazing Spider-MAn #583 Obama Variant is fetching $30+ It might be safe now to consider this a key issue. Up there historically with Amazing Spider-Man v2 #36

Something that comes up on the radar from time to time and I see no one talking about is Multiple Warheads #1. This book is currently @ $41 & 2 bids with 10 hours to go. I have no knowledge of why this is so sought after.

Star Wars #1 2013 got up to $30 & 13 bids with 2 minutes left to go. This just sort of came out of left field. hm(shrug)

One of the guys who works at one of my shops was telling me how awesome the SW 1 was and he loved the cover, etc. For his sake I hope he ordered 50 copies with his employee discount because he has been severely burned lately on some of his speculation attempts, even paying wholesale he's wound up selling them back to his boss for 50 cents a pop (and that's his boss being generous, because he'd pay 5 cents to anyone else). sadly, if he had just waited a little longer on some of them...I wound up buying a bunch of Guardians of the Galaxy 25s out of the 3 for $2 box about 12 months ago that he had speculated on when they came out and I guess had given up on.

You need to believe in the comic you want to speculate on. I usually don't buy a book unless I enjoy it or can buy it at cover price and see its currently selling for more than $10 on eBay. Buying in bulk on hopes and dreams is unwise.

i went in today and a store had a stack of 10 star wars on the shelf, i took 2, still got a dirty look. I'll go in tomorrow and if they're still there i may take 2 more, just shuffle them in with the new comics.

I would think after a week it's a free for all... do they want to sell their in store stock or not.

Edited by krighton

i went in today and a store had a stack of 10 star wars on the shelf, i took 2, still got a dirty look. I'll go in tomorrow and if they're still there i may take 2 more, just shuffle them in with the new comics.

I would think after a week it's a free for all... do they want to sell their in store stock or not.

Tell him to do a better job of pushing the book

Where a hat to disguise yourself.

You get a dirty look for buying the comics they have for sale? Might want to check out another LCS to give your business to.

Happens to me all the time. Pretty much a limit of two for me. That is why I hit up 2-4 stores on the way home from work if it is a special comic week they all have limits of two plus I spread the wealth on small businesses. Pretty annoying but I do not want to offend the guys by arguing with them about the limit.

I had a stack the other day at a LCS and was asked to put all but one of each back which seems fair.

IMO.... limits are a bad business practice. I'm a paying customer, cash in hand, right in front of you ready to buy a product you are offering to the public. If you insist on a limit, put a sign up saying "LIMIT ONE" or adjust the price to keep someone from buying a stack at cover. If someone told me to put them back, it would be my last visit to that store.

I can't stand lazy store owners that don't track the market and when you get to the register have an epiphany and say, "Oh yeah, I need to mark this up" or "Oh yeah, you can't buy but one of those." I would be like, "Oh yeah, I forgot why I would rather buy from someone I trust online..."

rantrant

i normally don't take more than 2 anyways, don't want to gut the store stock...i did ask what his policy was for taking more than 2 of a week old comic. "What are you trying to do, make a profit off of those????"

Edited by krighton

I had a stack the other day at a LCS and was asked to put all but one of each back which seems fair.

IMO.... limits are a bad business practice. I'm a paying customer, cash in hand, right in front of you ready to buy a product you are offering to the public. If you insist on a limit, put a sign up saying "LIMIT ONE" or adjust the price to keep someone from buying a stack at cover. If someone told me to put them back, it would be my last visit to that store.

I can't stand lazy store owners that don't track the market and when you get to the register have an epiphany and say, "Oh yeah, I need to mark this up" or "Oh yeah, you can't buy but one of those." I would be like, "Oh yeah, I forgot why I would rather buy from someone I trust online..."

rantrant

Yeah, except store owners who do that get blasted on here for not selling at cover! lol

I don't even hardly buy comics in the store anymore b/c its a hassle. My LCS has a few issues and I have never bought more than two of the same cover (bought two batman 13 and two Saga 8 rececently). Many of the books I find there have condition issues (spine stress, etc.), so I buy mostly from people I know online. Just ranting about the idea of limits in general... :grin:

rantrant

I have talked to mine a few times about this and he made a very excellent point and think some others have eluded to preordering.

If a LCS orders in 20 copies of Star Wars 1 and you come in and buy all 20 that means that come number 2 the store may order in 20 copies based on 1 selling out but only 1 customer will pick it up as YOU were the only one who had a chance to read number 1 and thus 19 sit on the shelf. I agree that if you want to limit it make it be known. That said after a week of the comic being out I would totally agree its pretty much a free for all.

Best approach I have heard on this: Limit two on any book the week it comes out. Once it is a full week old, free-for-all. Take the whole stack if you want. This encourages everyone to make the weekly trip, as they should be able to pick up just about any new book if ordered properly. If you wait more than a week, you might be SOL.

Went to a store near me the week that WD 97 came out. He still had 3 copies of WD 93 at cover, and I tried to buy them. He would only sell me two....of a book that has been sitting on his shelf at this point FOR FOUR FULL MONTHS!

I will never go back to that store. Clearly, the owner is allergic to money.