• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure it's totally against the law to change the price at the register. And it only seems to happen at the great American LCS.

On another note, this is very similar to how some dealers at cons won't price ANYTHING, and then when you ask for a price they pull out their OPG or iPad to look it up. I will NEVER buy from anyone that does this. It is your responsibility to know the market, and to price your inventory. If you can't do that, then don't sell.

There is a store in Ft. Pierce called Big Dog Comics that did that to me a month or so back. Brought a few Walking Dead to the register for $5 each and he tells me he forgot he needed to reprice these. States he will go look at his inventory page for pricing and pulls up MCS and proceeds to tell me they are $25 each. I ask him if he works with Buddy and he gives me a puzzled look. I was polite about it; told him no thank you and walked out.

One shop in particular near me has changed prices at the register on me AND took a book out of my purchase stack because he "forgot to pull it for his back inventory" BUT he's fairly new and rarely busy so I'm a little more lax than I'd be normally. I feel ultimately there's a bad ending coming at this shop.

I could see your point if this was a new book that just came out today (or a week ago). But this book has been out for the better part of a year now, and those books sat unsold for quite some time.

If you want more than cover price, then put a price tag on it. If you have a "limit 1" policy, then post it. Anything else is dishonest and unacceptable.

Great synopsis and pretty much how a business should be run.

It always amazes me how some LCS have the worst customer service. Regardless of whether the person in your store is a regular or some random person on the street, at the end of the day it is still your customer. I get my comics through mail order and when I miss out on something there are some stores that I avoid because I barely get a "thank you" when I buy something there.

I'm pretty sure it's totally against the law to change the price at the register. And it only seems to happen at the great American LCS.

On another note, this is very similar to how some dealers at cons won't price ANYTHING, and then when you ask for a price they pull out their OPG or iPad to look it up. I will NEVER buy from anyone that does this. It is your responsibility to know the market, and to price your inventory. If you can't do that, then don't sell.

You are speaking my language partner...

One shop in particular near me has changed prices at the register on me AND took a book out of my purchase stack because he "forgot to pull it for his back inventory" BUT he's fairly new and rarely busy so I'm a little more lax than I'd be normally. I feel ultimately there's a bad ending coming at this shop.

What floors me is that, at the end of the day, aren't they in the business of SELLING COMICS...?!? Why would you rather pull something for your "back inventory" (and upset a customer), rather than SELLING PRODUCT...?

If you underprice something, learn from it and be more diligent in the future. And also realize that if you give a customer a deal, they will come back to your store time and again looking for another "score", even if there isn't one to be had. If you pull this , you will likely never see them again.

Sad...but im a shop owner and not to toot my own horn, but I truly think our shop stands out and is by far the most kickass shop in my state. I hate hearing people bash LCS but 75% of the time they aren't wrong. Ive experienced some pretty crappy things while visiting other shops...one purley unethical retailer about an hour from me changed the price on me while looking on ebay on 2 items after having them clearly marked for a MUCH lower price...now it's happened to me plenty of times. An item gets hot, takes off and goes for more then I had it priced for. I ALWAYS honor the listed price...it's my fault. It happens. As a shop owner its impossible to stay ontop of everything daily. We have a tremendous selection of action figures and statues and busts...a guy came in last week and brought up a stack of minimates. Dropped close to a bill on all of em. When he left I said to my business partner, he's fairly frugal..and just bought a bunch of em...wonder why??? We looked em up and they were going for between 25-40 a pop. He got em for 9-12 a pop. My fault...I would never dream of changing the price. It happens...

Sorry for the rant...I hate how LCS always get a bad rap...it is sad...but we aren't all scumbags...lol

There's a store near me who has some of the most slimy business practices i can think of. The owner is a nice guy, but he's unbelievable when it comes to certain things. On a bunch of books he has it in his system to charge cover for the first copy, and the second copy gets rang up at $8. The employee's DO NOT tell you this and it's not marked ANYWHERE. I got home one day and realized that i had paid $16 above cover price for the books i bought. I went back in and they told me about this super slimeball policy. Then to top it off, they wouldn't give me a refund since i used a card, and issued me a gift certificate. Beyond that, they price their variants through the roof, charge a quarter if you use a debit card, and the kicker, they charge for leftover FCBD issues. They even charged 50 cents a book for the new FREE cyberforce issues same day they came out. Keep in mind that they don't say a word as they are merrily adding charges to your order. There's also been several times when i used to frequent the store on a regular basis that i would get charged a few dollars extra here and there, and they would have no explanation for it whatsoever when i went back in to complain. I would not be surprised one bit if this is a regular practice that the owner encourages. They also have signs up saying that they reserve the right to change a price at the counter due to the "Volatile" price of back issues. There's more, and i could seriously go on for a while about how slimy this shop is, but i realize this isn't really the thread for it so i will abstain.

yup, and they are still making money at the listed price, and if it was currently hot they would love to sell it for that. It's just like any form of speculator, not happy with the profit they have, scared of missing out on profit they "could" have

it's funny, cause most LCS that do that, will end up with books on their wall years later, that they also never dropped when it cooled off. No avenue to use their customers for research, once its overpriced..

Edited by CBT

What floors me is that, at the end of the day, aren't they in the business of SELLING COMICS...?!? Why would you rather pull something for your "back inventory" (and upset a customer), rather than SELLING PRODUCT...?

If you underprice something, learn from it and be more diligent in the future. And also realize that if you give a customer a deal, they will come back to your store time and again looking for another "score", even if there isn't one to be had. If you pull this , you will likely never see them again.

It varies from state to state, but generally it is illegal to change posted prices...

Example: 12024.2. (a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of a commodity, to do any of the following:

(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that commodity. SOURCE

Wow - the stores in the Phoenix area are great compared to what you guys are describing. My #1 LCS offers 20% off all comics if you have a subscription. Last month I walked to the counter with Snyders Batman books 11-15 missing 13. He noted what I was missing & when I told him I'll hit eBay, he dug thru his stash and pulled out a bagged 13; and he still gave me 20% off.

There's a store near me who has some of the most slimy business practices i can think of. The owner is a nice guy, but he's unbelievable when it comes to certain things. On a bunch of books he has it in his system to charge cover for the first copy, and the second copy gets rang up at $8. The employee's DO NOT tell you this and it's not marked ANYWHERE. I got home one day and realized that i had paid $16 above cover price for the books i bought. I went back in and they told me about this super slimeball policy. Then to top it off, they wouldn't give me a refund since i used a card, and issued me a gift certificate. Beyond that, they price their variants through the roof, charge a quarter if you use a debit card, and the kicker, they charge for leftover FCBD issues. They even charged 50 cents a book for the new FREE cyberforce issues same day they came out. Keep in mind that they don't say a word as they are merrily adding charges to your order. There's also been several times when i used to frequent the store on a regular basis that i would get charged a few dollars extra here and there, and they would have no explanation for it whatsoever when i went back in to complain. I would not be surprised one bit if this is a regular practice that the owner encourages. They also have signs up saying that they reserve the right to change a price at the counter due to the "Volatile" price of back issues. There's more, and i could seriously go on for a while about how slimy this shop is, but i realize this isn't really the thread for it so i will abstain.

Thats where you lost me.

Retailers had to pay for both of these things and I don't think they should be free outside of the May 5. FCBD.

I spoke to a store owner two days ago and someone asked him for Transformers .5 or whatever the FCBD thing is, he said "I'll see if I can find it, it will be like $4 or something" and the guy just stared at him and eventually said "but it was for free comic book day."

Should retailers be giving away any left over sixth gun FCBDs they have? Or any left over Scott Pilgrim FCBD stuff? No. FCBD is over.

Hurely Heroes in Joplin is the opposite of these individual_without_enough_empathys. I walk in and tell him I'm cleaning him out because the book is selling for $50+ and he pulls more out from behind the corner and sells them all for cover price. I think this is why he has a local fan following. :luhv:Tell Jason I sent you.