• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

My LCS shops are turning evil only within the last few months....

They're starting to strictly enforce a maximum of 1 comic per issue and it's all on the heels of heavy speculation. These are the same guys that say they don't have something only to end up listing it on the bay within a few hours of said inquiry.

I know for a fact they're clued into the boards (not only this one) and they've actively tried to solicit info. from me.

I don't go in talking a big game either, I just grab and walk with no discussions. They've put 2 and 2 together with other speculators coming in for sure....and now they're starting to put the clamps down on anything hot.

They used to be cool, now I gotta find a new place to shop.

Any time you folks wanna get a PM together I'm down. It's becoming next to impossible to keep a lock on info. with the speculators competing directly with the LCS.

Peter Panzerfaust....try to find an issue on release day...

Helheim....poof...gone like a f*ckin puff of smoke

Nowhere men.....nowhere to be found....

Robin's dead? You'd never know the way these aholes pull it off the shelf and hoard it.

I'm sorry, but if you have a comic store....and you're in the business of selling comics....put them on your racks and sell them. Don't and moan that other industrious folks are following the trends and taking advantage of the secondary market. Just MHO. Hell, it's not even cool to grab stuff on release day and mark it the F up like 3x coverprice......how about they order more and sell them for what they should sell for on day 1?

Are you even reading this thread? For the eleventy millionth time... You try ordering enough copies of a book 2 months in advance!!!! By the time speculators decide a book is going to be hot, retailers have already ordered them. Do you know how many unsold books retailers would have lying around if they went big on every Image number 1?

You are making sweeping pronouncements from a position of complete ignorance.

Also, those of you using terms such as 'they' or pluralizing 'retailer', is that really what you mean, or are you talking about ONE shop where you personally had a bad experience?

Too many sweeping generalisations around here for a sensible debate IMHO.

This is why Midtown, tfaw etc exist. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see 6th gun is hot, and Bunn has a new book, therefore I purchased 50 copies in preorder for Helheim. 5 local shops here, combined, ordered 8 copies in total. That's absurd. When a shop orders 3 whole copies of this book, they are simply losing $$. I understand they cannot speculate on all titles, but what you fail to realize is, that they cannot afford to not jump on titles like this, when they strike.

Scenario: 1x each for their pull list, 5-8 on the shelf limit 2 per person, and then feel free to sell them at $10. I'll guarantee you that they'd make enough $$ to overcome the majority of bad speculations instantly doing this.

My LCS shops are turning evil only within the last few months....

They're starting to strictly enforce a maximum of 1 comic per issue and it's all on the heels of heavy speculation. These are the same guys that say they don't have something only to end up listing it on the bay within a few hours of said inquiry.

I know for a fact they're clued into the boards (not only this one) and they've actively tried to solicit info. from me.

I don't go in talking a big game either, I just grab and walk with no discussions. They've put 2 and 2 together with other speculators coming in for sure....and now they're starting to put the clamps down on anything hot.

They used to be cool, now I gotta find a new place to shop.

Any time you folks wanna get a PM together I'm down. It's becoming next to impossible to keep a lock on info. with the speculators competing directly with the LCS.

Peter Panzerfaust....try to find an issue on release day...

Helheim....poof...gone like a f*ckin puff of smoke

Nowhere men.....nowhere to be found....

Robin's dead? You'd never know the way these aholes pull it off the shelf and hoard it.

I'm sorry, but if you have a comic store....and you're in the business of selling comics....put them on your racks and sell them. Don't and moan that other industrious folks are following the trends and taking advantage of the secondary market. Just MHO. Hell, it's not even cool to grab stuff on release day and mark it the F up like 3x coverprice......how about they order more and sell them for what they should sell for on day 1?

Are you even reading this thread? For the eleventy millionth time... You try ordering enough copies of a book 2 months in advance!!!! By the time speculators decide a book is going to be hot, retailers have already ordered them. Do you know how many unsold books retailers would have lying around if they went big on every Image number 1?

You are making sweeping pronouncements from a position of complete ignorance.

Also, those of you using terms such as 'they' or pluralizing 'retailer', is that really what you mean, or are you talking about ONE shop where you personally had a bad experience?

Too many sweeping generalisations around here for a sensible debate IMHO.

NO ITS OKAY GUY, IT MAKES TOTAL SENSE FOR HIM TO BE COMPLAINING ABOUT TRYING TO BUY MULTIPLE COPIES OF ONE TITLE AND BEING LIMITED TO ONLY BUYING ONE COPY OF THAT TITLE EVEN THOUGH HE ISN'T ENOUGH OF A LOYAL CUSTOMER AT THAT STORE TO GET A PULL LIST.

WHICH BTW, WOULD PROBABLY SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS STATED ABOVE AS RETAILERS DO MORE FOR THEIR PULL LIST CUSTOMERS. "OH YOU WANTED TO ADD PETER PANZERFAUST ONTO YOUR PULL LIST? THATS WHY HE KEPT ALL ISSUES BEHIND THE CASH AFTER WE FILLED PULLS HERE YOU GO."

SO YEAH, LETS KEEP TALKING ABOUT QUARRELS WITH ONE BOOK LIMITS WHILE LISTING ALL THE STORES WE LIKE TO GO TO BUT DON'T LIKE GOING TO ENOUGH TO BUILD A PULL-LIST RELATIONSHIP THAT WOULD SOLVE ALL ASFER MENTIONED PROBLEMS - BUT THE PROBLEM OF BEING OFF TOPIC IN A THREAD ABOUT MODERNS HEATING UP FOR THE LAST 6 TO 8 MONTHS.

wait this thread isn't about Moderns that are Heating up EbAy?!?!?!

(shrug)

Where have you been for the last six months? doh!

I'd be a lot more upset if I didn't have your website.

Thanks for that btw.

+100

I love Whetteon's site!

Whetteon should do a page on his site that shows: board members that are getting heated whether being against LCS or other board members lol

Injustice ..........the heat is just beginning. I think the lesson here is there are always sleepers but if you wait to hear it here first your almost always going to miss them.

I couldn't even find more than one 2nd print #1 yesterday. None at another store. Picked up one #2 last week at 9.4, the other two were beat. I think the 2nd prints will be good too.

I know when pasta boy starts busting CAPS out it's time to get serious...

Alright bro, you convinced me....I'll get a pull list goin. That said: there was a time in the past when you could walk into a joint and buy whatever without getting scoped or hassled....can't I lament those days and the loss?

Someone asked if I was generalizing or specifying my experience with 1 shop: my experience is with three shops locally. Two changed their tune within the last few months....the other never has alot of stock. So I get it with the low stock joint. The other two honestly are going to have issues sitting on the racks for months without selling them for some fuct up policy. I'll keep visiting those same rags and they'll go from a 9.8 to a 9.6 to a 9.4 to a 9.2 and so on until they're all doomed to a dusty longbox with giant creases and rips. Or I could buy them before some kid wipes his sack with them......if I owned a store it'd be a no brainer.

But pull lists solve that sort of issue I guess. There certainly won't be some comics sitting in limbo for no reason once I get my list.....in fact next time I walk in the racks should be empty of all stock since I'm going with the herd mentality.

Jimmi,

I get it bro. And I want to get back to heatin up...not jawing. I was also serious about a pull list....you actually did convince me....not jerking you around.

I just don't see the sense in leaving unsold stuff on the shelves.....my only point that's off normal topic.

What are you guys moaning about - try being here!

half a dozen cruddy store with no $1 bins in a City of 6,000,000 people.

Comics are $5+ at cover because of dumbazz taxes so we HAVE to pre-order, or there is no option other than ebay.

Revival,Bedlam,Peter Panzerfaust and now Uber are books that I thought would/will do well - so I (and James etc) have to pre-order or it $30 an issue within days.

If this was the Moderns that SHOULD be heating up on ebay thread, then I would say that the new GotG 0.1 that was released a couple weeks ago should be exploding. It was stocked heavily at all stores I have been to, but on story alone it is just so good. I might even pick up a few more because it is that good and might become fire even considering the print run. Nuff Said!

What are you guys moaning about - try being here!

half a dozen cruddy store with no $1 bins in a City of 6,000,000 people.

Comics are $5+ at cover because of dumbazz taxes so we HAVE to pre-order, or there is no option other than ebay.

Revival,Bedlam,Peter Panzerfaust and now Uber are books that I thought would/will do well - so I (and James etc) have to pre-order or it $30 an issue within days.

I don't find comic prices is Aus too bad, a $2.99 US book is $4.50 where I shop. But I have a pull list with the shop, so I have no problems with getting 5 copies of Revival every month, an the other 2 copies of other Image and Dark Horse titles I get.

If I want 10 copies of a #1 I order online.

But there isn't really that many LCS in Aus, and if you don't live in a Capital city then your only choice to get new titles is ebay.

I agree with Jimmy - The store I have my pull list has gotten everything ive ever requested no matter what. They do not care if I come in on any day and grab every single issue and copy of one series ect

I try not to complain about stores that limit copies but some shops have some seriously screwed up business practices.. Some even unlawful from what ive seen