• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

in 5 years people won't care about 95% of the new stuff out there now....not sure Walking Dead will be as desirable in 5 years.

This may be true, but if you look at the people picking it up in a LCS then I have seen plenty of youngsters snapping it up or even being turned away by the owner as they are barely taller than the counter. It will certainly have its moment of nostalgia further down the line where it will begin to shine again. I reckon more people will look at it as fondly as I do some 80's / 90's stuff that is frankly either now dead in the water or massively over printed by comparison to be considered scarce by any stretch of imagination.

Here's some 90's nostalgia for ya! If you are a Venom completest you can't forget this one.

1296882-kid__n_play_v1__9___page_1_zpsf6d0acf0.jpg

2. Considering demand. Walking dead is huge. However, PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience. If the show is quality, and the comic story can draw people in, things will explode. If not then, speculators will be looking to dump those stocks.

Not looking to argue, but want to discuss this point. You state "PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience." I assume you are talking about it being based on Peter Pan?

This isn't necessarily aimed only at Mike's Rack, so please anyone chime in: Is Peter Pan really a broader audience than the zombie genre?

its up there PP has huge international potential. if done right this will be huge !

No next question

PP has the potential to be even bigger than Walking Dead. What have you been smokin'? You can't possible think that a subject matter on WW2 & Nazi's is going to appeal to a larger audience.

Let`s take a look at them.

What`s the biggest audience for Walking Dead?

18 to 40 year old males who like Zombies.

Will this same crowd like a Peter Pan based TV show?

It`s debatable.

hm

I'm not sure if my comment spurred this discussion however, I want to make clear that I don't believe PP will each walking dead heights. I don't think any modern will. That was never my point. However, considering the subject matter alone, I do think PP has more potential. If these books both came out at the same time and they were both on issue 12 and someone told me that one of these books would be on cable TV with millions of viewers and tons of merchandising, I would have pegged PP as the book. We now have the benefit of hindsight with WD but the truth is, few people if any, called this book for several years. The book didn't succeed because of zombies, it succeeded because of a good story and mostly because of the prison arc. Honestly I am a horror buff and I like zombie flicks but most zombie books suck and have a canned repetitive story. I really enjoy reading WD, though I long for the magic of the prison era.

I don't think many recognized the potential WD had until the story developed. If I had I would have a hoard of these, the truth is even most believers have sold off their hoards. I know of no other zombie comics that have come even remotely close to walking dead. I still think the subject matter of PP has more potential than zombies to a mass television audience.

I'm not sure if my comment spurred this discussion however, I want to make clear that I don't believe PP will each walking dead heights. I don't think any modern will. That was never my point. However, considering the subject matter alone, I do think PP has more potential. If these books both came out at the same time and they were both on issue 12 and someone told me that one of these books would be on cable TV with millions of viewers and tons of merchandising, I would have pegged PP as the book. We now have the benefit of hindsight with WD but the truth is, few people if any, called this book for several years. The book didn't succeed because of zombies, it succeeded because of a good story and mostly because of the prison arc. Honestly I am a horror buff and I like zombie flicks but most zombie books suck and have a canned repetitive story. I really enjoy reading WD, though I long for the magic of the prison era.

I don't think many recognized the potential WD had until the story developed. If I had I would have a hoard of these, the truth is even most believers have sold off their hoards. I know of no other zombie comics that have come even remotely close to walking dead. I still think the subject matter of PP has more potential than zombies to a mass television audience.

(thumbs u

There are several variatoins on the same theme that get chewed over a lot and a few differing opinions as well... still happy to hear them voiced. I know this is the heating up on ebay thread but tbh the speculation thread fizzles in and fizzles out again so all items eventually end up in here.

(vaguely on topic... pleased to see Batman #13 A at the $10 mark... really surprised that Catwoman #13 has dipped so much though on .com)

2. Considering demand. Walking dead is huge. However, PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience. If the show is quality, and the comic story can draw people in, things will explode. If not then, speculators will be looking to dump those stocks.

Not looking to argue, but want to discuss this point. You state "PP has the potential to be even bigger because it is based on a subject matter that appeals to a broader audience." I assume you are talking about it being based on Peter Pan?

This isn't necessarily aimed only at Mike's Rack, so please anyone chime in: Is Peter Pan really a broader audience than the zombie genre?

its up there PP has huge international potential. if done right this will be huge !

No next question

PP has the potential to be even bigger than Walking Dead. What have you been smokin'? You can't possible think that a subject matter on WW2 & Nazi's is going to appeal to a larger audience.

Let`s take a look at them.

What`s the biggest audience for Walking Dead?

18 to 40 year old males who like Zombies.

Will this same crowd like a Peter Pan based TV show?

It`s debatable.

hm

I would have still put my money on TWD because with TWD vs PP it's an unlimited comic versus a 25 issue comic.

Again how is it, PP is worth so much and Revival is worth so little. PP isn't a better story, its just a retelling of an earlier story in a different setting, its smart, but not worth of the prices its getting. In saying that, TWD shouldn't be getting the prices its getting either. When you have a TWD #1 getting more than an ASM 50 or Even 129 in some instances, something is wrong with the comic world. All the movies and tv shows etc. whats come out of it. The Most recent RIPD movie was stupid. I think the GoTG movie will be just as bad, I know I am the minority. An Ant-Man movie really? Focus on what they have popular. New Dr. Strange, FF4, how about an SS movie..just my 2cents..Revival does rule btw..lol

Never going to happen.

TWD changed everything and it's in the consciousness of ordinary "non collecting" people. Speculators drove the ridiculous prices on this book.

No one will EVER give a rats azz about a motion comic no matter who is in it, directing it or wrote it. Anyone who thinks that anyone will even know about this book in 5 years is kidding themselves. WW2 and Peter Pan... Seriously?

Thank you sums it up nicely

still am, 25 issue end date is a buzz kill is all. Unless the rumors hold true about going beyond.

I asked Kurtis like three months ago in the PP thread and he said it was ongoing and plans to end around issue 28 were no longer true.

in 5 years people won't care about 95% of the new stuff out there now....not sure Walking Dead will be as desirable in 5 years.

This may be true, but if you look at the people picking it up in a LCS then I have seen plenty of youngsters snapping it up or even being turned away by the owner as they are barely taller than the counter. It will certainly have its moment of nostalgia further down the line where it will begin to shine again. I reckon more people will look at it as fondly as I do some 80's / 90's stuff that is frankly either now dead in the water or massively over printed by comparison to be considered scarce by any stretch of imagination.

Here's some 90's nostalgia for ya! If you are a Venom completest you can't forget this one.

1296882-kid__n_play_v1__9___page_1_zpsf6d0acf0.jpg

I'd love to get that book SS'd.

Who can forget the House Party dance?

Edited by lemonman5

And to get back on topic, I'm surprised at how good the Justice League #1 New 52, 2nd print is still holding up in price. It's doing much better than the 1st print.

Edited by lemonman5

still am, 25 issue end date is a buzz kill is all. Unless the rumors hold true about going beyond.

Kurtis - Come here man, we need to talk. I know you have said this series is only going to be 25 issues but I do not think that is enough. This story is just too good. What about a nice round 30 issues instead. I mean it's only one more arc. You would do that for me right?

He said he has a plan for 25 issues regardless of sales or anything. Hope he changes his mind.

We'll be doing this for a few years yet. However many issues that is, or if the sales continue strong. Whatever that looks like. Regardless, we are going to tell the entire story we set out to from day #1.

In the meantime, he's a look at the final teaser for my series I'm announcing at C2E2.

http://kurtiswiebe.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/teaser-4-our-final-cast-member-dee/

Big announcement was the tv show

Which was the same announcement as last year.

Actually, the announcement last year was a potential tv show. The announcement at Image Expo was confirmation the TV show is officially happening.

Actually, the announcement last year was a potential tv show. The announcement at Image Expo was confirmation the TV show is officially happening.

Thankyou - been looking everywhere for that.

It's hard to discuss this book for some reason.

Is it that some are worried they have over bought, sold too early, have too few - but lets take the $ out of this.

TWD - is a world-wide hit. No doubt, and surely no argument from anyone here.

PP - I can only assume some haters haven't read it?

It's a story 'loosely' based on Peter Pan.

The Lost Boys are French resistance fighters - they kill, and get killed.

Peter isn't superhuman. He doesn't actually fly. He is just looking for a lost love.

The story is told through the eyes of the surviving Wolf Pack, many years later in post-war France.

It's a tribute if you will, to the French Resistance in some ways - and as such is a story worth telling.

It will appeal to all Europeans who's countries actually underwent that occupation only 70 odd years ago.

The WW2 defences still stand in France, England, Holland etc, memorials are everywhere - WW2 is ingrained in the psyche of the European Nations as this happened to them.

Of course it has interest. To suggest otherwise is disrespectful of the fallen of all nations.

Rememberance day in Europe is huge, just like Gallipoli is to Australia.

So, yes, it has relevance to a multitude of people - and the BBC, as said before, do the best period dramas in the world.

Peter Pan is still loved by kids all over the world. It still has queues at every Disneyland, the book is still read by millions and is a staple in schools around the world. So it should appeal to young and old

There will be a lot of people, who if it is marketed properly, will want to see this.

The writing is genius. I am tempted to swap 'boring' for 'not-understood' in a few posts on here. Stick with it. It draws you in very quickly.

Now add a comic with only 4814 copies printed (so knock off 1000 as gone forever), and add a thriving readership, add a motion comic starring Wood and Perlman - who have been in hit after hit.

The comic will attract publicity from that and a confirmed BBC television series, add the fact that PP will be ongoing further than 25 issues and you have a highly desirable product on your hands.

Hate if you want but to label WW2 as 'uninteresting' is quite frankly insulting.

I'm invested in this comic and want it to succeed.

I have explained why.

Perhaps haters could expand their argument for the 'nay' so I and others can understand and not think its just pissy sour grapes because you are not in possession of one.

PP I don't know that preview of the Live Action Cartoon Looked Pretty Lame ... id rather Watch My Little Pony....

WD on the other hand, the Preview for Season 4 Looks Great ... and where are we Not even close to issue #53 yet as far as linage ... I think this show may have 4 more good years ... HIT shows do well for long periods of time ... I think WD is good for 8 -10 seasons as long as interest is high ... I just hope we get to see Negan on screen before its all said and done.

Is it that some are worried they have over bought, sold too early, have too few - but lets take the $ out of this.

Peter isn't superhuman. He doesn't actually fly. He is just looking for a lost love.

The story is told through the eyes of the surviving Wolf Pack, many years later in post-war France.

It's a tribute if you will, to the French Resistance in some ways - and as such is a story worth telling.

It will appeal to all Europeans who's countries actually underwent that occupation only 70 odd years ago.

The WW2 defences still stand in France, England, Holland etc, memorials are everywhere - WW2 is ingrained in the psyche of the European Nations as this happened to them.

Of course it has interest. To suggest otherwise is disrespectful of the fallen of all nations.

So, yes, it has relevance to a multitude of people - and the BBC, as said before, do the best period dramas in the world.

Peter Pan is still loved by kids all over the world. It still has queues at every Disneyland, the book is still read by millions and is a staple in schools around the world. So it should appeal to young and old

There will be a lot of people, who if it is marketed properly, will want to see this.

The writing is genius. I am tempted to swap 'boring' for 'not-understood' in a few posts on here. Stick with it. It draws you in very quickly.

Now add a comic with only 4814 copies printed (so knock off 1000 as gone forever), and add a thriving readership, add a motion comic starring Wood and Perlman - who have been in hit after hit.

The comic will attract publicity from that and a confirmed BBC television series, add the fact that PP will be ongoing further than 25 issues and you have a highly desirable product on your hands.

Hate if you want but to label WW2 as 'uninteresting' is quite frankly insulting.

I have explained why.

Perhaps haters could expand their argument for the 'nay' so I and others can understand and not think its just pissy sour grapes because you are not in possession of one.

I own 10 copies of #1 (6 of them slabbed), have been reading the series since day 1, and bought the first TPB for my daughter when it came out so she could enjoy it as well - but because I think it's insane to believe this series is going to be bigger than TWD, I'm a hater? :shrug:

The motion comic means nothing - I know you want it to be a huge deal, I believe you referred to it as a "volcano" earlier on, but the sad truth is that nobody cares about motion comics. It doesn't matter who directs them, it doesn't matter who voices them, it doesn't matter how "motion-y" they are - they don't pull in non-comic-book people, they don't generate excitement and they're ignored by anyone who isn't already a die-hard fan. The motion comic trailer that came out back in May was linked on a single national website in their Comics section - it didn't even register on the radar of any mainstream media outlet.

When Buffy - which is arguably one of the most popular teen TV shows of all time - can't generate any traction whatsoever for their motion comic, what makes you think that an unknown property like PP will succeed in that regard?

As for the "confirmed BBC television series", well, I'm still looking for a link to a press release (or anything, really) that actually confirms that the BBC has committed to a full season of PP like you mentioned earlier - even though Wiebe himself said a week ago that no casting or production had happened on the live action show. The only thing I've been able to find, however, is the press release from October of last year. Even in the Image Expo interview you reference above, the "a live-action series in development at the BBC" bit links to that same year-old press release. Care to share the source for your info?

Lastly ... Dr. Who is arguably, to your average slightly-nerdy American, the best known of the current BBC TV crop. Series 7 premiered to 1.5 million viewers in September of last year which was the highest ratings in BBC America history. In comparison, TWD delivered 12 million viewers for the season 3 finale.

PP may very well end up airing on BBC who, as you so rightly point out, are terrific at historical dramas. It may even end up being a great show, well cast & beautifully produced (and, *spoon*, I hope that does end up being the case - I would love to see this series on TV). But it's never going to rival the TWD phenomenon. Ever.

It can't be stressed enough how TWD has been the perfect storm when it comes to value on the secondary market. A critically-acclaimed comic book series that built up a fanatical following over almost a decade. Slow & steady growth in the market which allowed latecomers to get in on the action (and not be priced out immediately due to pre-TV show hype). And a fantastic TV show perfectly timed to coincide with the world's current fascination with zombies.

If anyone thinks there's ANY current comic book that's ever going to mirror the ascent of TWD, they're fooling themselves.

I have explained why.

I own 10 copies of #1 (6 of them slabbed), have been reading the series since day 1, and bought the first TPB for my daughter when it came out so she could enjoy it as well - but because I think it's insane to believe this series is going to be bigger than TWD, I'm a hater? :shrug:

The motion comic means nothing - I know you want it to be a huge deal, I believe you referred to it as a "volcano" earlier on, but the sad truth is that nobody cares about motion comics. It doesn't matter who directs them, it doesn't matter who voices them, it doesn't matter how "motion-y" they are - they don't pull in non-comic-book people, they don't generate excitement and they're ignored by anyone who isn't already a die-hard fan. The motion comic trailer that came out back in May was linked on a single national website in their Comics section - it didn't even register on the radar of any mainstream media outlet.

When Buffy - which is arguably one of the most popular teen TV shows of all time - can't generate any traction whatsoever for their motion comic, what makes you think that an unknown property like PP will succeed in that regard?

As for the "confirmed BBC television series", well, I'm still looking for a link to a press release (or anything, really) that actually confirms that the BBC has committed to a full season of PP like you mentioned earlier - even though Wiebe himself said a week ago that no casting or production had happened on the live action show. The only thing I've been able to find, however, is the press release from October of last year. Even in the Image Expo interview you reference above, the "a live-action series in development at the BBC" bit links to that same year-old press release. Care to share the source for your info?

Lastly ... Dr. Who is arguably, to your average slightly-nerdy American, the best known of the current BBC TV crop. Series 7 premiered to 1.5 million viewers in September of last year which was the highest ratings in BBC America history. In comparison, TWD delivered 12 million viewers for the season 3 finale.

PP may very well end up airing on BBC who, as you so rightly point out, are terrific at historical dramas. It may even end up being a great show, well cast & beautifully produced (and, *spoon*, I hope that does end up being the case - I would love to see this series on TV). But it's never going to rival the TWD phenomenon. Ever.

It can't be stressed enough how TWD has been the perfect storm when it comes to value on the secondary market. A critically-acclaimed comic book series that built up a fanatical following over almost a decade. Slow & steady growth in the market which allowed latecomers to get in on the action (and not be priced out immediately due to pre-TV show hype). And a fantastic TV show perfectly timed to coincide with the world's current fascination with zombies.

If anyone thinks there's ANY current comic book that's ever going to mirror the ascent of TWD, they're fooling themselves.

Thankyou for a well thought out response Micheal.

Appreciate you taking the time.

Let me phrase it another way - I agree that the viewing figures may be smaller - and PP will definitely NEVER take the world by storm - but that cherished #1, where personally do you think the ceiling is?

People laughed at me when I said $500 - and stopped when I sold for $668.

I said the same thing for $1000, and, I genuinely believe that is quite possible once the show casting is announced.

After that - well, what's the going rate for a comic with probably only 500(realistically) 9.8 candidates on the planet with all the potential that this book has?

That's my comparison to TWD - I genuinely (rightly or wrongly) believe that if the BBC series is a success then prices of the 2 books will be roughly the same.

For how long? - no clue.

But I think it has a shot, especially as 50% of them are owned by boardies here who will drip-feed their release.

See - I can do polite :foryou: