• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

True enough the RRP is technically not a consumer "variant" but it is still a variant in a strict semantic sense. The sketch cover for batman 1 in the new 52 still goes for $300+ as well. Variants in general rarely hold or build value though, batman or otherwise. So Dark star is not actually wrong with his general statement about bats variants.

-J.

It will sink. Batman variants very rarely hold or build value.

Well that's a very broad statement, and thus incorrect.

Please list all of the Batman variants from the new 52 that sell for more on the secondary market than their original listed retail price.

I got almost all of the variants (multiple copies on most) for cover to $6 apiece from LCSs = full retail and have been selling the earlier ones for $10 - $20 apiece no problem. The more recent variants go for $6 - $10 on Ebay as well. (shrug)

Edited by kimik

The 1:100 may be another story however. There's only a couple of those to be found anywhere and they seem to get legitimate bids over $100.

-J.

Look up the prices for pretty much any previous Batman or Detective Comics 1:100 or 1:200 variant.

True enough the RRP is technically not a consumer "variant" but it is still a variant in a strict semantic sense. The sketch cover for batman 1 in the new 52 still goes for $300+ as well. Variants in general rarely hold or build value though, batman or otherwise. So Dark star is not actually wrong with his general statement about bats variants.

-J.

That is because the incentive sketch variant you are talking about is a #1. The incentive variants, sketch or not, whether it is 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 for Batman and Detective Comics do not maintain or build value. The sell well during their initial week of availability at which point most of them sink like a stone.

The Sciver variant for the first issue doesn't even command the same amount of money as the regular cover first print.

I got almost all of the variants (multiple copies on most) for cover to $6 apiece from LCSs = full retail and have been selling the earlier ones for $10 - $20 apiece no problem. The more recent variants go for $6 - $10 on Ebay as well. (shrug)

Not the incentive variants.

I have a Tec 27 Lee Variant that will be ending tonight. I don't plan on shilling it, so we shall see if this is truly a $100 book:p

My copy should not be hard to find, if you even care to look.

You don't plan on shilling it? :facepalm:

Blocked.

Edited by Taco

The 1:100 may be another story however. There's only a couple of those to be found anywhere and they seem to get legitimate bids over $100.

-J.

Look up the prices for pretty much any previous Batman or Detective Comics 1:100 or 1:200 variant.

-J.

That is because the incentive sketch variant you are talking about is a #1. The incentive variants, sketch or not, whether it is 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 for Batman and Detective Comics do not maintain or build value. The sell well during their initial week of availability at which point most of them sink like a stone.

The Sciver variant for the first issue doesn't even command the same amount of money as the regular cover first print.

There's a mythical connection with the number "27" in the Detective comics run that rivals or surpasses the "#1". This fact alone will give these variants a chance at having some staying power. Apparently they were under ordered, as demand has been outstripping supply at most large LCS's apparently. That will also add to their potential for long term value. Everybody is chasing the Lee right now, with the Fabok under the radar for the time being. Once the general public realizes that one is twice as rare, that will help its value. I would be loading up on that one right now if I were a dealer or flipper (which I'm not, I'm just a collector). Of course neither Diamond or DC release print run info. But I am actually surprised how few even Lee copies are up on ebay right now, let alone the Fabok one. You would think there would be a lot more popping up this morning given how fast they were selling yesterday, even if half those auctions ended with shill bids.

-J.

I have a Tec 27 Lee Variant that will be ending tonight. I don't plan on shilling it, so we shall see if this is truly a $100 book:p

You don't plan on shilling it? :facepalm:

Blocked.

reading comprehension not even once.

You said variants, not incentive variants. If I recall correctly, some of them are 1:25 anyways - #3 and #9 come to mind.

The 1:200 B&W variants seem to be holding up well respective to the "full retail" I could get them for here locally. Not all stores gouge when they price things at "full retail".

This makes it seem like something you do on occasion :facepalm:

You said variants, not incentive variants. If I recall correctly, some of them are 1:25 anyways - #3 and #9 come to mind.

The 1:200 B&W variants seem to be holding up well respective to the "full retail" I could get them for here locally. Not all stores gouge when they price things at "full retail".

Pretty clear I was talking about the incentive variants that get marked up differently depending where you buy them. The 1:25 variants are not doing well either. The higher end ones, the sketch variants, do particularly poorly long term.

These are books that you preorder or find for cheap upon release and flip. They aren't something you buy into after they are already out there with the idea that they will be selling for more money a week from now or two months from now.

I'm pretty sure he's saying that his auction (unlike all the previous examples) won't be shilled.

I guess it could be interpreted that way, but I was trying to make a joke based on the couple of responses about the book earlier in the thread. In hind sight, I probably should have quoted the posts to provide context.

For the record, I do not shill at any time. Artificially inflating the value of a book is a waste of a good reputation that I work hard at attaining.

I think that there may not be a lot of Jim Lee variants as it was not pre-sold as a Jim Lee variant. I believe they said it was a Kelley variant up until a few weeks ago word leaked out that it was actually a Jim Lee variant. On top of that mix-up on who was actually doing the pre-order, it's an $8 book, so retailers probably didn't go as heavy on it. I do however totally agree with your #27 assessment and think that'll play into the desire of the issue over time.

I think that there many not be a lot of Jim Lee variants as it was not pre-sold as a Jim Lee variant. I believe they said it was a Kelley variant up until a few weeks ago word leaked out that it was actually a Jim Lee variant. On top of that mix-up on who was actually doing the pre-order, it's an $8 book, so retailers probably didn't go as heavy on it. I do however totally agree with your #27 assessment and think that'll play into the desire of the issue over time.

(thumbs u

-J.

I strongly feel like the Jim Lee variant will hold value of atleast $70.

You can pick it up for $30 - 40 so its a good buy ATM

You guys havn't really been talking about Black Widow. I had a customer looking for a Manara Variant and have been having a hell of a time tracking one down. So far of 7 stores I went to only 1 had ANY variants for black widow.