• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,836 posts in this topic

They would also speculate on upcoming movies and who would be best to star in them.

I just find comic book speculation facsinating (more so than any other collectible).

Meck

1-Hahaha! I LOVE looking at those!, the "upcoming" movies. Was looking at a few recently, and it's just SOOOOOO bad how off some of the articles were, in terms of "this movie is coming out THIS fall, etc". Some of the movies came out 10 years after the article, others have yet to come out. And they wrote it with such certainty.

2- Moi Auci. Part of the reason why I love reading this and other boards so much. Just love to see the trends and history. Love seeing other peoples opinions (I really don't have many, if any "comic" friends to discuss speculation with).

I am wondering why too, it's better than most comics that have come out in recent months.

I'm down on the book's chances of appreciating, rather than the book itself. I don't see it having the features that suggest that it will be a market darling. And, by market, I mean the great big comic collecting world that exists outside of this board, where the superhero hegemony is still intact, and many collectors don't look twice at non Marvel or DC books.

Personally, I found the art and story to be below par, but that's just my opinion. As a contrast, I like Blackacre, a book that's not everyone's cup of tea here, but I'm also down on its chances of appreciating, for the same reasons as above.

Only read Pretty Deadly #1 so far. Story was sort of confusing, so I'm hoping it fleshes out in the following issues.

Finished all of my Blackacres. GREAT story. No clue if it will go up or down in value, but is there actual hate for the story??? It was pretty interesting, good pacing, etc.

Dukes40 in the house today. lol

We are definitely on the same page. I don't think you could be any more right about Helheim. It was a really fun/grim book that people turned on becuase they didn't sell soon enough or lost a little money on it. None of that changed the quality of the art. I love Joelle Jones stuff. Cullen Bunn is an oddity to me. He seems to have a huge following on the net but his books don't seem to sell big numbers. I've only read a little of his stuff but I like what I've read to this point.

Hahaha.. Getting a lot done at work today, so I have time to take breaks.

We are definitely on the same page. I don't think you could be any more right about Helheim. It was a really fun/grim book that people turned on becuase they didn't sell soon enough or lost a little money on it. None of that changed the quality of the art. I love Joelle Jones stuff. Cullen Bunn is an oddity to me. He seems to have a huge following on the net but his books don't seem to sell big numbers. I've only read a little of his stuff but I like what I've read to this point.

Deadpool Kills trilogy brought in some $$$ for Bunn's writing.

This plus The Sixth Gun pilot was being shot when Helheim came out, so Bunn was hot at the time.

This plus The Sixth Gun pilot was being shot when Helheim came out, so Bunn was hot at the time.

I thought buns were hot all of the time. lol

I thought buns were hot all of the time. lol

Just the cross variety

love to know how many are actually out there

There aren't any!

Didn't you read the listing??

"Retailers had to order at least 20 copies of #1, then at least 20 or more of both #2-3 to qualify

for one copy, and this wasn't announced until after #1 came out, so nobody qualified."

lol

Well the same seller has just 1 more for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLBOY-THE-FURY-3-RETAILER-VARIANT-FN-VIRGIN-COVER-SCARCE-/360824848674?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5402d64122

Isn't Black Science just Quantum Leap???

Thrown together with Lost in Space.

Si!!!!

I've never seen Lost in Space, but from what I know of it, yes, it reminded me of that as well.

So, Quantum Space? Lost in Leap?

Quantum Space. That has a great sound to it.

I was thinking more like Sliders personally....

But the Quantum Space Slide just sounds like a dance move.

Oh man, I forgot about Sliders. That was one of my all time favorite sci-fi shows. Excellent comparison.

Only read Pretty Deadly #1 so far. Story was sort of confusing, so I'm hoping it fleshes out in the following issues.

Finished all of my Blackacres. GREAT story. No clue if it will go up or down in value, but is there actual hate for the story??? It was pretty interesting, good pacing, etc.

You really shouldn't be down with any recent Image title having a shot of appreciating that much if at all. There will be a small margin on some titles insofar as they may no longer be available on the shelves after X amount of months. However, I reckon the secondary market for these is long term dead in the flood water. Image and retailers are now absorbing the additional speculator interest by pretty much doubling the print run of #1's since last year. (Saga is the exception here, but that was too hot not to print so many).

#1 of anything like Pretty Deadly, East of west, Black Science, Velvet .... etc etc will be the most common issue available. Unless there is an unusually large spike in interest they are also not likely to grow the readership to a level that will be higher than the #1 print run ever. Slim chance of it happening. The Walking Dead did not do over 30K printed for a long long long time.

Walking Dead 81 $2.99 Image 30,750 Feb-11

When Image titles were the thing to chase #1's generally had the lowest print run and were either reprinted or pretty damn hard to find.

Pretty Deadly 3* $3.50 Image 21,079 Dec-13

Pretty Deadly 2* $3.50 Image 23,581 Nov-13

Pretty Deadly 1* $3.50 Image 45,833 Oct-13

Black Science 2* $3.50 Image 20,151 Dec-13

Black Science 1* $3.50 Image 40,873 Nov-13

Velvet 2* $2.99 Image 25,549 Dec-13

Velvet 1* $3.50 Image 41,897 Oct-13

Manhattan Projects 1 $3.50 Image 17,955 Mar-12

Thief of Thieves 1* $2.99 Image 17,877 Feb-12

Saga 1* $2.99 Image 37,641 Mar-12

Chew 1 $2.99 Image 5,246 Jun-09

Invincible 1 $2.95 Image 10,751 Jan-03

Walking Dead 1 $2.95 Image 7,266 Oct-03

Pick an Image title this year... any one of their new releases that you think is the best one and buy 10 copies. That speculation is now accounted for and absorbed. There's nothing wrong in making profit on these, $1, $2... maybe $5??? That's great. However, I can't see the same kind of $30 or $60 appreciation that happened on titles in 2012. I would imagine that RRPs will still be chased on hot titles but those can be fickle in their own ways.

I know there are returns when something is overstocked, but it still stands to reason that the speculator interest is being absorbed. It wasn't going to stay in rinse / repeat mode forever ;)

You really shouldn't be down with any recent Image title having a shot of appreciating that much if at all. There will be a small margin on some titles insofar as they may no longer be available on the shelves after X amount of months. However, I reckon the secondary market for these is long term dead in the flood water. Image and retailers are now absorbing the additional speculator interest by pretty much doubling the print run of #1's since last year. (Saga is the exception here, but that was too hot not to print so many).

#1 of anything like Pretty Deadly, East of west, Black Science, Velvet .... etc etc will be the most common issue available. Unless there is an unusually large spike in interest they are also not likely to grow the readership to a level that will be higher than the #1 print run ever. Slim chance of it happening. The Walking Dead did not do over 30K printed for a long long long time.

When Image titles were the thing to chase #1's generally had the lowest print run and were either reprinted or pretty damn hard to find.

Pick an Image title this year... any one of their new releases that you think is the best one and buy 10 copies. That speculation is now accounted for and absorbed. There's nothing wrong in making profit on these, $1, $2... maybe $5??? That's great. However, I can't see the same kind of $30 or $60 appreciation that happened on titles in 2012. I would imagine that RRPs will still be chased on hot titles but those can be fickle in their own ways.

I know there are returns when something is overstocked, but it still stands to reason that the speculator interest is being absorbed. It wasn't going to stay in rinse / repeat mode forever ;)

Well said Garf.

Things become collectable when they're not expected to rise in value. IE no one expected Saga to be hot, so they didn't have a huge print run for it.

IMO it's more likely that non-Image or no-name creator's book will hit than any Image title.

All the image #1's might as well say "Super Uber Collectable 1st issue!" on the front.

And that's not image's fault, they're just meeting the demand of the market.

Well said Garf.

Things become collectable when they're not expected to rise in value. IE no one expected Saga to be hot, so they didn't have a huge print run for it.

IMO it's more likely that non-Image or no-name creator's book will hit than any Image title.

All the image #1's might as well say "Super Uber Collectable 1st issue!" on the front.

no one expected Saga to be hot,

Riiiight...

Well said Garf.

no one expected Saga to be hot,

Riiiight...

Fine, mince words. Everyone did not expect it to be the level of popularity it reached.

If "they" did, then we would not have a shortage of the early issues and they'd all be selling at cover.

You're kidding, right? Saga 1 had a fairly large print run.

Edited by rjrjr

I figured saga would be hot but I didn't order a lot of number one because I thought there would be too many issues in print....apparently in this case it didn't matter

except for walking dead saga had one of the largest print runs of any image title

Edited by krighton